DC for spells

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Daedalus
Looking for group

DC for spells

Post by Daedalus »

Someone told me that the DC calculations for spells have been changed here... That it was based on caster lvl rather than the stat modifier (charisma etc). Is this true? I may have just muddled my self up but could someone give me how DC for spells is worked out?

Thnx

Gumppy
Pk Bait

Post by Gumppy »

dc is 10 + spell lvl + ab modifier (int, wis, cha depends on class) + your spell focus so +6 for epic

so a lvl 9 wiz spell cast by a mage with 40 int and epic spell focus is

10+9+15+6 = 40 dc

solates
Noob

Post by solates »

so spellcraft is basicly useless except for learning new spells(if your a wizard) or counterspelling?

reminds himself to ignore spellcraft.

Solates

Falazure-
Pk Bait

Post by Falazure- »

spellcraft is also needed for auto quicken feats and other mage epic feats n spells,mite want to get some at least :P.

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

And, lets not forget - you get +1 save vs spells for every 5 points in spellcraft.

+8 saves + gear + int bonuses can let you rack up some pretty huge saves at higher levels.
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

I thought the saves from SC were only for actual skill points, not adjusted... like the AC from Tumble is.

Metis
Dungeon Master

Post by Metis »

Actually yes, you get +1 save (spellcraft) and +1 ac (tumble) for every 5 ranks so items do not help in that aspect.

/ edit total spellcraft points do count towards people who use counter-spell imo one of the best unused abilities (mainly in a group)
Last edited by Metis on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wheresoever you go,
go with all your heart." - Confucius

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

Then Spellcraft gear is pretty useless now.

Nemesis Revised
Newbie Helper

Post by Nemesis Revised »

actually, yeh its pretty useless :)

mages should just get items such as discipline rings instead :D
1%useful posts, 99% spaM

Blystos Re
PKer

Post by Blystos Re »

When a mage has zero discipline to start with, a +3 ring will not do them much good against a raging barbarian or high-level monk.

Hard to cast from the ground. :P

I find that having a high spellcraft together with some SR gear can come in quite handy against some spells. Watching a spell go "boink" when it targets you is fun. Then again, maybe I am thinking more along the lines of a PvM scenario...

To each their own. If you don't want your high SC rings you can always give me one. :lol:

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

counterspell is one of the most awesome things to use in pvp...nobody thinks about it until you do it to them...hehe
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

Metis wrote:/ edit total spellcraft points do count towards people who use counter-spell imo one of the best unused abilities (mainly in a group)

can anyone tell me the mechanics of counterspelling? i've tried for ages to figure this stuff out, but to no avail, not even a google search helped and experiments have left me baffled. can a lesser dispel counter any spell or do you need (greater) dispels after a certain spell level? will you always counterspell any spell you identify or is there a further check? if so what is it?

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

spellcraft ranks id the spell being cast..the more you have the more you know.

mords counters everything, breaches counter spells of lower lvls, dispells also counter...basically you choose a mage and use the right rotating menu to select counterspell then ur guy just stands there.
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

Alain
Dungeon Master

Post by Alain »

Torm - God of Loyalty and Duty

Core
Looking for group

Post by Core »

Actually spellcraft items do help save throws unlike tumble AC. You have to have at least 1 point in spellcraft tho before items will effect it, if you have 0 spellcraft it doesn't do anything.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”