Thoughts on NS4

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
SheaFoehammer
Noob

Thoughts on NS4

Post by SheaFoehammer »

Im sorry guys but I really think the Devs have lost touch with what made a great server. Ns4 in my opinion is very boring. All this hype for a big let down. Ns3 was and is the best server on NWN, I wish you guys just took alittle more time to tweak it. Go ahead and flame if you so desire.
Sheafoehammer
[Co3] Foe

Nerdlor The Destroyer
Site Admin

Post by Nerdlor The Destroyer »

I'm curious, exactly how long did you spend playing NS4? Why do you think it's boring?

Crymsyn
Pk Bait

Post by Crymsyn »

The change you are talking about (slow/boring) comes from being spoiled with high-leveled items and uber monsters and leveling to 20 within three days. NS4 is uber in its own right; once you find a certain few items (that aren't that scarce of a drop) in each faction, you will see what 'uber' means in NS4.

Uber weapons don't have to have five or six damage types, vorpal, keen, extra melee damage, etc. Uber is designed by how well the weapons/armor help you defeat the monsters around you.

Monsters are toned down, therefore, the weapons have been toned down as well.

Another issue that a lot of people don't seem to like or want is the lack of haste. One major reason Haste was removed from items is that it is too overpowered for everyone to have on NS4. Think about it.. +4 AC, +100% movement speed, plus a few other things. Sure, it could have been edited and put on all the items, but that is taking away a very powerful and handy spell from the sorcerers and wizards. It also makes a player economy for wizards/sorcerers for potions and/or scrolls.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant;
"If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I.. will.. kill you."
Such is the rule, of honor.

Ting
Noob

Post by Ting »

Also note that this is a beta. That means that a lot of stuff is not in yet, for instance: Quests and Jobs. Guess what, if you are SL or MA or etc you don't get any of those right now, and I bet a lot of the lower-level gameplay enjoyment would be based off of these.

Macifer
Noob

Post by Macifer »

I only spend an hour playing, so I'll try to give my first impression and also maybe the reason why SheaFoehammer doesn't like it.

To me it seems that the whole atmosphere is more rpg oriented and less action oriented. People who prefer action servers are perhaps a bit dissapointed, because the character development is 'slower'

Anyway that's my initial impression. Personally, I like it, a lot more atmosphere than NS3, more fleshed out.

I don't think that the creators need to defend themselves. As with many things, some people will like it, others won't. Btw, the whole thing is still in Beta, so who knows how it will develop from here.
-- Balin Redhammer, RK (Fighter/WPM)
-- Balin Skullstitcher, RK (Cleric)
-- Macifer LeFlexible, AO (Sorc/Cleric)
-- Macifer, LA (Wizard)

Nerdlor The Destroyer
Site Admin

It definitely has a much greater capacity for RP, but hack & slashers like me can still get by fine. I have a habit of making a new character, then going and looking for monsters to kill. I don't think I've ever taken a job. 8)

X-I-L
Pk Bait

Post by X-I-L »

I think we're all still use to NS3. Although I'm finding it a little frustrating trying to lvl (I either get killed or can find nothin to kill), I'm still prepared to give NS4 a chance. After all we've only been playing it for just over a day and its in Beta stages, so lets give us a few days to get use it eh?

I expect we might have felt similarly frustrated when NS3 came out...
I sense a soul in search of answers...

Agent Shiny
Looking for group

Post by Agent Shiny »

A SUGGESTION

Why not make haste that does not give +4ac
The easiest way is to just put in -4ac
Keep the speed there 100%
but remove the additional attack unless "real haste" is applied through spells or feats. How about that?
~Oblivion~

Nerdlor The Destroyer
Site Admin

I believe that items are planned which modify your base movement speed. I'm not entirely certain though, the conversation was a long time ago. Can any devs confirm/deny?

Crymsyn
Pk Bait

Post by Crymsyn »

From what I have been told, there will be a few movement increase items, but they aren't implemented yet and won't be for a good time.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant;
"If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I.. will.. kill you."
Such is the rule, of honor.

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

Um the LA messenger quest will get you to haste speed.

Items with expedious retreat or potions/scrolls

We have changed haste rules to 3.5

You will not get an item with perma haste. Nothing has permanent effects. thats the beauty of being able to dispell or making you use up items.

--

As for not being action. I find that funny. NS4 has 10x the number of areas/creatures that are nothing but hack and slash.

The loot hasnt been toned down that much from ns3, its just not on on one item like before.

But anyway, time will tell. Everyone flocked to ns3 when we did it and ns4 will be the same.
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/neversummer4

Thor of Clan Freakery
Noob

Post by Thor of Clan Freakery »

Well i love the changes so far. Only one complaint but ill get to that. I started playing NS3 for about a week. I was 6th lvl and had a G1 head, sheild, fang, and tagnars armor, i could solo just about everything i came across by 12th lvl. NO FUN. All those items n everything neededc to be wiped so bad. I praise the devs for their changes and decisions. The only thing i can complain about thus far fro NS4 would be Ragnars Kin area. Seems it takes us poor short legged dwarves about 30 minutes real time just to get to some fresh air or anything besides beetles to kill. And to top it off when we die, we get to do the long haul all the way back to the sruface. Our party spent about 4 hrs total just running around empty mines. But then it keeps you filthy surface lovers out!! :)
~Thor of Clan Freakery

Agent Shiny
Looking for group

Post by Agent Shiny »

4 hours of practically doing nothing... very unproductive =D
something i don't want to happen in ns4 release
~Oblivion~

RogueMD
Noob
Location: here there and everywhere, but usually the underdark... i mean detroit

ummm... last time i checked ns4 is fricken FREE!!!

Post by RogueMD »

maybe this is addressed elsewhere, but i can't heap enough praise and thanks to the dev team and the dms for taking time out of their lives to give a high quality product for others to play FOR FREE... yes there will be glitches and bugs, and yes it will take some getting used to but let's face it you guys don't have to pay to play like many other online games and it is a beta...

i could only play for like an hour last night, i ran around with my lvl 1 rogue would be drow assassin killed and got killed by beetles and you know what that was just fine... b/c just the level of detail and interaction in the drow city much have taken some hard work to get right, and lots of time to take to explore... on top of that, from the posts etc on this site and from the way the game is layed (sp?) out there will be more than just uber monsters to slay... it seems to me that eventually factions will be laying siege on one another...

so kudos to all who worked on this, and hope to see all you iblith at the end of my blade :twisted:
Strongbadia... destinied for global domination
fear the power of... THE DOUBLE DEUCE!!

X-I-L
Pk Bait

Post by X-I-L »

I like ur confidence DD :P
I sense a soul in search of answers...

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”