Archer builds?

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
-BannyD-
Spamalot

Post by -BannyD- »

my archer is monk AA

it does not work well at all, 3-15 dmg to a tree smasher at lvl 20 is not fun

TheBestDeception
Developer

Post by TheBestDeception »

-BannyD- wrote:my archer is monk AA

it does not work well at all, 3-15 dmg to a tree smasher at lvl 20 is not fun

Perhaps monk is not a good choice for being an archer. Sure, a wisdom bonus to AC is good...but so is being 50% concealed in darkness or using divine favor to add magic and slashing damage.

I can only hope that you are not trying to argue archers as being weak because you made a bad build.

DESPITE all this, I do feel the high level bows should have the attribute of unlimited arrows. It is without a doubt unfair that Forest Imbued Arrows are expendable...whereas the bonuses to melee weapons are permanent.
But, it's such a draining job that, until you've DMed on an NWN server yourself, you the playerbase, have got to cut the DMs some slack. - Flailer

Throst54
Addict

Post by Throst54 »

aye.. i've always liked the cleric/bard/aa build...
Type post, tab tab enter, wait 4page 2 load, shift+tab tab enter, REPEAT!!!

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

I finally figured out that using a sling isn't too bad a thing...swithc over to bludgeoning and that solves most problems between Bows and Slings

Also sling lets you use shield, which means more AC...and you cna rapid shot a sling, and you get zen archery bonus for a sling (I think) which means the two weaopns should be an archers weapons of choice.

Unless there are monsters immune to two types of damage. ick
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

nargileh
Pk Bait

Post by nargileh »

ok lets compare 'zen archery wisdom monk' to a 'weapon finesse + dex monk':
zen archery + wisdom:
- wis bonus added to ranged attack
- wis bonus added to ac
- more wisdom means better dc on stunning hit, quivering palm ... (but this advantage is nullified by the fact you first need to hit in melee to use those... and wis doesn't boost melee)
- high wisdom opens up the possibility to take ki strike +4 & +5 but that is a melee oriented feat, which will be near useless without boost to melee AB.

weapon finesse + dex:
- dex bonus added to ranged attack
- dex bonus added to melee attack
- dex bonus added to AC
- most of the usefull monk class skills are dex based, tumble, move silently, hide ...
- high dex opens the route to taking epic dodge, blinding speed, ...

My conclusion is that going the dex route is better unless u wanna throw alot of wisdom based caster levels in your character mix.
On the other hand i won't argue that zen archery is a very good choice for a cleric/druid/shifter who wants to use a bow effectively.
But taking wisdom as prime stat just because of zen archery instead of going dex + wep finess is trading melee away for no real advantage. If wisdom is a prime stat due to another class, then by all means go ahead and use zen archery.

Throst54
Addict

Post by Throst54 »

what about the "zen archery CLeric"
-high ranged ab
-near unlimited buffs
-synergy w/ maxing out wis

and your monk wont be able to take epic dodge unless u take 10 rogues lvls or 5 SD lvls...

you of course also need to remeber to put points inot STR tho, for when u finally get a mighty bow... this is very important in this mod, as an extra 5 dmg per attack can be lifesaving..
Type post, tab tab enter, wait 4page 2 load, shift+tab tab enter, REPEAT!!!

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”