Paladin/Weapon Master Build

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
Uber_Hoser
Pk Bait

Paladin/Weapon Master Build

Post by Uber_Hoser »

Just like to hear some thoughts on this..If I was going to do this, all starting stats would be at 13, and I would dump all stat points into chr when I get them....

so by lvl 15 paladin, I would have all the prereq's covered for wm...

Or is this a lame build ?
Gotrek TrollSlayer - RK Barbarian/Fighter/Weapon Master
Grace StoneMender - RK Cleric - OUTCAST
Bun Bun - NS Fighter/Wizard

DIE NERD BOY... KA-CLICK !

IcemanXV
Newbie Helper

Post by IcemanXV »

The build might be fine. Just make sure you have the spell capacity and divine skills to make up for your serious lack of attack bonus and hp.

My paladin/cot build usually has about 20 Str by level 20, so base, you'd be a looking at a +5 to hit vs +1. You also can cut out any of the feats that require a high str like overwhelming crit, and even with +5 gloves the max you could carry is 200lbs. Also keep in mind a paladin build like mine still gets all the spells you do, plus level 4 spells, having 14 wis instead of 13.

If these things don't bother you, go right ahead :)
Last edited by IcemanXV on Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

dragon nutz
Noob

Post by dragon nutz »

yeh i would have taken WM sooner if i was you for the AB and good crits first than worried bout the pally side of your build l8er
It's just a game Facker!!! (or is it?)

"The beatings will continue till morale improves"

Dragon Nutz
Mystic Dragon [TC] bow to your queen OR DIE
Crushing Dragon [TC]

DEATH TO DWARVES AAAHHH!!!

Uber_Hoser
Pk Bait

Post by Uber_Hoser »

This is what I was worried about, basically fighters and barbs make the best wm..

EvanFallen
Noob

Post by EvanFallen »

I'd just go fighter, you usually can get all the feats necessary for wm by level 6.
- Kebur de Vidald

Jumbalaya
Noob

Post by Jumbalaya »

Well, I figure with anything but figter, if you go human for race, you can take dodge and exp at 1, mobility at 3, spring at 6, whirl at 9 and wpnfocus at 12 so that you can get wm from then on. So for paladin, you get up to level 3 spells, and the 28 in WM means you get what? 6 extra feats ( if I am doing the math right) and then +3 to your ab?

Same with ranger, and with barb, you'd have your rage plus nice hp base from your barb levels.

Or, go 15 paladin/25 wm, you lose one feat from wm, but you get holy sword spell which is DAMN nice.

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

28 WM results in +7 to AB total. 25 WM is +6 AB. It's 1 point per 3 WM levels after 10 (starting at level 13) plus the 1 point at level 5 WM.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

OneManArmy
Noob

Post by OneManArmy »

Paladin is really an outstanding class in NS4. They r the only "pure" melee that can survive from a Caster of the same level. Fail a will save on hold, slow, domination, shock and your +60ab fighter is just so dead.

I would definitively go Pally/WM and not Fighter/WM. Going fighter/WM and a few Pally level would be such a waste. You'd miss those good special feat from rogue or monk no ?
French r evil !!! That's what Moira say =)
I'm fine with that Lady.

Lework
Looking for group

Post by Lework »

You could always load up NWN and test the build..

Start up the Toolset and make a small zone, save it. Then load it up in NWN and Type DebugMode 1 in the console, followed by dm_givelevel 40 and click on your character.

then level up as you see fit.

You can also add +5 to all your stats to simulate full NS4 gear, however do not take any feats you would normally not be able to take

the command to do this is dm_modifySTR #
DebugMode must be enabled to use dm functions.

you can also save the game at certain levels to see how different builds
turn out.

then add a general shop with some weapons that are close to Ns4, add a few creatures. I use dragons and half celestrial warriors..sometimes an air elemental...use these to test your build in combat. Edit the creatures to simulate a mob you would see in ns4...of course it wont be an exact copy....but you'll be getting a good idea.

Another thing you can do is save your NS4 character while playing, load up the character in this Combat Training Module (thats what mine is called) and you can plan a few levels ahead..and you'll have the ns4 gear so you know exactly what levels will do. I also recommend getting the next level gear so when you level up in the training module you can switch out and use the new gear...this helps a lot and will give you a good idea when your character is going to take off power wise.

Jumbalaya
Noob

Post by Jumbalaya »

DrakhanValane wrote:28 WM results in +7 to AB total. 25 WM is +6 AB. It's 1 point per 3 WM levels after 10 (starting at level 13) plus the 1 point at level 5 WM.

Isn't it every 5? Sorry, I have not played a WM in ages and ages so I was going by the manual for ab which says every 5 levels you get that +1 ab.

Uber_Hoser
Pk Bait

Post by Uber_Hoser »

ok couple of things..

1) my wis has to be 14 to get the HA spell.. will that stack on gear like lag's warhammer ? (which is basically what I am building this paladin around...

2) Why is chr good for a paladin ? What stats does it raise ?

3) If I dont need my chr to be high, where should I dump the points into, str ?

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Cha on a paladin rasies their saving throws via divine grace.
It also increase the power of their turn undead ability.
It increases the length of time that divine might and divine shield last, as well as how powerful those effects are.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Jumbalaya
Noob

Post by Jumbalaya »

and their smite ability. Having a godly high smite can just humble the real evil characters and mobs.

Cha is the most important stat imo for a paladin. Think of it like this. With a say, 20 cha, thats +5. That means +5 to saving throws and +5 to ab in smite evil. It can add up quite alot if you do it right.

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

Jumbalaya wrote:
DrakhanValane wrote:28 WM results in +7 to AB total. 25 WM is +6 AB. It's 1 point per 3 WM levels after 10 (starting at level 13) plus the 1 point at level 5 WM.

Isn't it every 5? Sorry, I have not played a WM in ages and ages so I was going by the manual for ab which says every 5 levels you get that +1 ab.

It's every 3. The manual is off on this one.

IcemanXV
Newbie Helper

Post by IcemanXV »

Uber_Hoser wrote:ok couple of things..

1) my wis has to be 14 to get the HA spell.. will that stack on gear like lag's warhammer ? (which is basically what I am building this paladin around...

2) Why is chr good for a paladin ? What stats does it raise ?

3) If I dont need my chr to be high, where should I dump the points into, str ?

1. The spell will make lag's hammer a +5 and add 1d6 divine damage versus evil (unsure if they removed the onhit dispel).

2. Charisma was stated above. It helps Saving throws, divine shield and might, and smite evil.

3. You will probably want a decent Charisma, but if you want to forgo a large amount of charisma, strength helps make your unbuffed attack bonus a bit better. With dispels floating around, one cannot ALWAYS rely on fully buffed skills to add attack bonus and damage.

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”