defense missions? PvP missions?

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
rkanodia
Noob

defense missions? PvP missions?

Post by rkanodia »

Does anyone else like the idea of 'quests' where the monsters come to you, rather than the other way around? As lazy as it may sound, I think they might be a really good idea, because it shifts the control of gameplay from the players to the game engine... sometimes it can be rather anti-epic and boring to slowly sneak a few feet into a dungeon, kill a monster, rest, sneak forward, etc, forever. If waves of monsters are being sent to a critical location, though, the players have to actually deal with threats on a timetable not of their own choosing, which I think is more fun.

Additionally, such quests could be a great way of giving players a chance to really play their specialized roles... hordes of moderately-difficult could be easily dispatched by a wizard, if he's got some tanks to hold back the big ones, and the whole thing will go a lot faster if a stealthy rogue has scouted ahead to let them know what is on the way.

Quests that require you to go up against members of the other factions could also be fun, and could bring some traditional PvP modes into NS4, such as team deathmatch, capture the flag, and king of the hill. I suppose there is the possibility of exploiting... not really sure what to do about that. Perhaps the missions could not directly reward the participants, but would somehow contribute to the overall benefit of the winning faction? Then you might be less likely to deliberately lose a mission for your friend's sake. Any thoughts?

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

Yes.

Since this module is based on invasions and counter invasions, it wouldn't make sense for the powerful character to make all of the attcks against other factions.

They would send minions to deal with the other factions.

And while the tanks and mages are busy at the city walls, the opposing mages would come in another way...
Searching for eternity, dreaming, for the key to open twilight.
- - - -
Jollyblue/Bongoblue blog NS3 and NS4 site updated November 24, 2004

Orsinous The Black
Noob

Post by Orsinous The Black »

It would be interesting if certain rift shard areas could be captured through some process. In this way we as players could actually make a difference, borders would shift. This may encourage more PvP action and RP. It would definately increase the feeling of tension, if not all out war, between the factions and allies all the more important. In this same fashion DMs could have nonaligned factions, like gnolls, threaten these points as well. I like this idea.

SIAS87
Noob

Post by SIAS87 »

It would be interesting if certain rift shard areas could be captured through some process. In this way we as players could actually make a difference, borders would shift

It would be gr8 if there was some screen which showed you the faction's borders. For example if you zoomed out on the map you could see the different factions borders. This way you would no where to defend and attack.

Heron
Noob

Post by Heron »

How about this…

If an enemy faction member is killed in or around your city by one of the faction’s player characters a head on a pole (or other symbol of victory) is spawned at that factions city gate.

When 5 heads of a specific enemy faction (or other variable) are present at the gate a player character can sound the gong of war (or other type of placeable). This will cause the factions troops to walk a set of waypoints towards the enemy faction city.

The server could shout something about one city declaring war on another or something of the like so all the player characters would know that an invasion is going to take place.

The troops (NPCs) and player characters would head towards the city and invade.

Following the invasion the heads would than reset (be removed) and the count would start again.

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

Heron wrote:How about this…

If an enemy faction member is killed in or around your city by one of the faction’s player characters a head on a pole (or other symbol of victory) is spawned at that factions city gate.

Looks good, now if its possible to do that in-game...
Searching for eternity, dreaming, for the key to open twilight.
- - - -
Jollyblue/Bongoblue blog NS3 and NS4 site updated November 24, 2004

Heron
Noob

Post by Heron »

Perhaps a plot creature that looks like a head on a pole or such...

rkanodia
Noob

Post by rkanodia »

The idea of players being able to command NPC armies is pretty cool, even if the command is at a very high level. Perhaps it could even be a place where social skills are useful; the more Persuade you have, the more guards you can get the commanders to assign to you! That would rock; none of my characters are social skills types, but I think it would be a great addition to the game.

Heron
Noob

Post by Heron »

I was thinking about this last night and realized that the server tranitions would make the NPCs walking from one city to another either impossible or extremely difficult.

How about once the required number of heads are spawned and the item is activated, the server shouts “city 1 has declared war upon city 2”. Than the player character is given a rod of command (or something of the like). Than when the player character with the item of command logs into city 2’s server he can activate the rod (causing the rod to disappear), the new server now shouts “a/an <insert faction name here> army is headed towards <city2> and an invasion army (size of which is based on variables like persuasion, level, or other variables) starts at the outmost limit of city 2 server and walks a set of way points towards the leader of city 2.

Heron
Noob

Post by Heron »

With this the city defender idea could come into play. New items could be created that would allow a city defender to spawn additional guards, creatures or even a great hero (or something of the like).

Also, when the invasion starts everyone in the city (of the correct faction) that is going to be invaded would automatically leave any party they are in and automatically be partied up with the cities leader. If the defend against the invasion (and save their leader) they get xp and gold.

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

Sweet ;D
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

rkanodia
Noob

Post by rkanodia »

I second ATI's motion to declare sweetness.

Agent Shiny
Looking for group

Post by Agent Shiny »

ATI...
u eat yourself?
lol jk
~Oblivion~

QuickLightning
Pk Bait

Post by QuickLightning »

someone try to script that to see if it's even plausable? that is a LOT of work =/

Heron
Noob

Post by Heron »

I’m sure it’s possible (or a variation of) and it would take a lot of work. It is just an idea… I pitch them when I think of them…
Ayloc Argalith - Drow Fighter
Loc Silverleaf - Wild Elf Druid

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”