a question of cheating

Talk about Neversummer 4 with your fellow players.
dugbird
Noob

a question of cheating

Post by dugbird »

recently while huntin someone said"cheating lol" while i had 5 ogres stuck behind a gate and entangled, my summons was using fire against them and i was throwin rocks at them. i thought this a good tactic, something that could, and most likely would happen in reality. just curious if i should change anything is all.

Llew Silverhand
Noob

Post by Llew Silverhand »

Sounds to me like what you did was perfectly legit, smart playing. They were probably just jealous that they don't have summons lol, and i doubt they were serious.
Don't whine if you get pked, make sure they're gone, level like crazy, then go kick their butt.
*ahem* In other words, not my fault you're not level 23...

(i'm just asking for it aren't I?) Ah well....

Quiett
Looking for group

Post by Quiett »

I do that whenever the opportunity arrises. Summons and Tangle spells are in the game for a reason, and that is one of them.

Chimaira
Looking for group

Post by Chimaira »

Looks like they were just messing around.

Elairn (Dart)
Noob

Post by Elairn (Dart) »

maybe the problem is having the enemies stuck behind a gate. sometimes this can be defined "ai exploit"
Dart ... (GH) on NS4

Missing NS3 Central Community too bad. :(

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

aahhhh please....AI exploits would be something like getting an AI to run after you and run the AI into a town, killing everyone inside the town.....thats exploiting the AI

As for this, you're just smart that is what you are supposed to do, the other person is probably jealous they didn't think of it.
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

Throst54
Addict

Post by Throst54 »

*blinks*
dont get them stuck behind the gate on purpose...

now, if they were stuck somewhere because of teh tangle.. then taht's one thing.. but trying to get them stuck behind a gate isnt something you should be aiming to do... a dm will tell you that you are using an exploit if you were caught.

just lett'in ya know.

suppose if you had tangle cast around them you could say you thought they were tangled or something... but i wouldnt really try it...
Type post, tab tab enter, wait 4page 2 load, shift+tab tab enter, REPEAT!!!

IcemanXV
Newbie Helper

Post by IcemanXV »

I understand on major bosses it may be wrong, but as far as I'm considered in DnD you use the terrain to your advantage. In areas with large amounts of monsters, i lure 1 or 2 to fight at a time, and sometimes fight in a doorway so the same effect happens.

I wouldn't think this is as much an AI exploit than it is cautious playing.

Sandman-k [sirname Blake]
Noob

Post by Sandman-k [sirname Blake] »

only ai exploit i have seen is angmar the dragon. the area that you enter his lair is to small for him to fit and get at you

Kell Of Neversummer
Pk Bait

Post by Kell Of Neversummer »

If that is an exploit, then maybe my climbing up on the hills and picking off the bandits below me is too - nah, that's just good tactics, just like yours.

LadyCheron
Developer

Post by LadyCheron »

DD has said, "There's a fine line between tactics and exploits." I know the area, those ogres spawn behind the wall and gate, BUT they are capable of opening the gate and persuing a player. I'd personally rule that if you come upon a terrain advantage, use it. DELIBERATELY manipulating the mobs to get them stuck on the rocks / behind the gates / etc is where it becomes an exploit.
Berronar Truesilver, The Revered Mother
Domains: Good, Healing, Law, Protection

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

But say, if i did like what i did last night, and attacked a group of orcs from a cliff above(with a ramp nearby btw) and they scurried around and all died, that wouldn't be an exploit would it? It's not like i needed to do it to live or anything, but it kept me from needless running around and retargetting.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

dugbird
Noob

Post by dugbird »

they were in the process of crashing the gate, i used the entangle to slow that. they were not stuck in any way except the gate was closed and the vines holding them. as soon as the vines cleared they came crashing in, albeit beaten down a bit. thanks for the responses and ill see ya on the other side.

Spooky
Pk Bait

Post by Spooky »

Well myself when i once spanwed in Li-Norarla with my archer i used the gate to kill all worgs outside before proceeding to haddon mirk...i dont suppose thats en exploit right?

Nightfall...quetly it crept in and changed us all...

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

Poor Wolves don't know how to open gates. Don't you wish those Wolves had opposable thems so they could? I know I don't.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Return to “General NS4 Discussion”