Netgear Wireless Router Help

The Gelded Geek: Any issues relating to hardware, troubleshooting computer issues for NWN1 and NWN2, building a new computer, etc
PeregrineV
Relic Raider

Netgear Wireless Router Help

Post by PeregrineV »

I'm posting here since we seem to have a large collection of smart and technically savvy individuals, and maybe someone here has some advice.

I use Time Warner Cable for my ISP, and last year bought a Netgear Wireless Router WGT642 v2 (I think) and a card for one of my PCs. I installed the card, and everything works great. I have one wired PC and a one wireless, both desktops. I occasionally use the work laptop, and both the wire and wireless works on that also.

Sometime in the past 2 weeks, the router has been hanging and dropping connection. Constantly. I called TW, and they sent a tech out to check everything. Cables good, modem good, etc. So now I suspect the router. I have been looking online for some sort of fix, but most of the answers did not seem to pertain to my situation. My router has been working great for over a year, and just now started sucking with absolutely NO CHANGES to anything in between. No new hardware, no new software, no setting changes, no usage changes, no location changes, nothing.

Has anyone experienced this and/or have a fix for it? My biggest complaint (obviously) is that this problem is eating into my NS4 time as the connection drops about every 1-3 minutes. Just long enough to lose server connection. :x

TIA!

Bargeld
PKer

Re: Netgear Wireless Router Help

Post by Bargeld »

Generic wireless fixes - Try these 1 by one and see if it gets fixed along the way:

Change the router's wireless channel to a different one (1 thru 11).

Reset the router to factory defaults and start over again.

Reinstall drivers for PC networking hardware (device manager > remove device > scan for changes).

Possibly update the firmware on it. You can get the needed files from the manufacturer Web site and you upload them to the router through the web-admin panel for it. That might give it a jumpstart.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

i get drop problems on my router also..but i can explain mine.

my linksys router got a full dose of lightning that came through my dsl line. blew out my dsl modem and burnt up one of the holes...now its 3 wired holes and wireless when it feels like actually working right.

just be sure lightning hasn't hit your router ;)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

DM_Kim
Dungeon Master

Post by DM_Kim »

My 1 year old D-Link started doing the same thing. I dropped to my knees and prayed. Then threw out the D-Link and bough an AirLink 104. If I have problems now I just unplug the power-supply for 10 seconds and plug it back in. All Done. So far no actual problems with it.
Mistress Kim
dm_kim999@hotmail.com

Berronar Truesilver - The Revered Mother

PeregrineV
Relic Raider

Post by PeregrineV »

It started working OK, then I played a few times fom the wireless computer, everything worked fine.
Then I played to the main PC wired to the router, and it started messing up again.

I gave it one last chance...... :evil:

Allow me to introduce the newest member of our family, the Belkin XR99000000 router. He will be on the ball when it comes to providing household wireless services. As evidenced by this post, from the wirelessly connected PC. Let's have a hearty welcome and a big round of applause!!

Welcome Belkin!!!

<insert thundering applause here>

Lorkar1
Noob

Post by Lorkar1 »

In the future you might want to look into the Linksys WR54g series. They can take everything but that proverbial bolt of lightning.

PeregrineV
Relic Raider

Post by PeregrineV »

Well, Belkin is having similar problems. Tried isolating the issue, but hoping it is just in the router. Direct PC to modem works great. Will update after I have done more tests and found out what the problem is and/or how to fix it.

Return to “General Computer Support”