Spot/listen part two.

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Thorac
Looking for group

Re: Spot/listen part two.

Post by Thorac »

kain can you explain how you came to 139 spot please ? make it simple for the poor Drow please :)
DOGMA: Fear is as strong as steel, while love and respect are soft and useless. Convert or destroy nonbeliever drow. Weed out the weak and the rebellious. Destroy impugners of the faith.

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

Thorac wrote:kain can you explain how you came to 139 spot please ? make it simple for the poor Drow please :)
he is mistakenly counting on the aasamir aura to actually be useful in combat ;)

and from direct experience i know that an elf listener with 109 real listen is not enough. there are four active sd toons that are invisible to my "listener" (lol!) (and only 3 of those 4 are bard/sd).

of course, if you can find some of those ridiculous SDs that tep beats with no listen or spot, then hey maybe you'll get lucky ;)

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

i said in the past with now listen/spot..now my girl has about 100 listen. so she catches the easy ones. ;)

its the tactics that win, not the cutter building.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Thorac
Looking for group

Post by Thorac »

ok trying to work this out bear with me :) spot build = elf,alertness feat,skill focus spot,epic skill focus spot,40+ wis,40th lvl max spot,epic spell focus divination,true seeing,clairaudience/clairvoyance,helm= 2+2+3+10+20+43+30+10+9=129 that sound about right?
DOGMA: Fear is as strong as steel, while love and respect are soft and useless. Convert or destroy nonbeliever drow. Weed out the weak and the rebellious. Destroy impugners of the faith.

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

Thorac wrote:ok trying to work this out bear with me :) spot build = elf,alertness feat,skill focus spot,epic skill focus spot,40+ wis,40th lvl max spot,epic spell focus divination,true seeing,clairaudience/clairvoyance,helm= 2+2+3+10+20+43+30+10+9=129 that sound about right?
with epic focus divination and true seeing/clair you cap your spot at +50. helm will do nothing for you. the elf +2 skill affinity i think is one of those situational modifiers that does not contribute towards any cap.

yep.. those 6 spot feats & build choices should get you right into the "effective around 40% of the time" range. provided you dont get curse songed ;)

Thorac
Looking for group

Post by Thorac »

ok thought epic spell focus divination gives 30 to spot from true seeing then 15 from clair that right? 40% of the time wtf lol, well someone tell me how to spot a good sd all the time then becasue if its not doable then someone in the dev/mod department has stuffed up BIG time.

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

Thorac wrote:ok thought epic spell focus divination gives 30 to spot from true seeing then 15 from clair that right? 40% of the time wtf lol,...
epic div gives +20 spot from clair, not 15.

spot vs hide being equal, you have a 50% shot (it comes down to the d20 roll). elf gives you a +2 edge, if they're small they get +4 i believe, and every point is basically a 5% difference in chance.

if its night / outdoors your chances go down. if they light a torch /its daytime/etc, your chances go up.

there's no way to spot a good sd all the time. however you can bypass the whole business by spamming aoe spells or shifting into a bioware true seeing form (the folks that propose these alternatives essentially admit that spot as a skill is busted). the only difference is that they blow 2 feats to get to that point, and you blow 6.
Last edited by disastro on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thorac
Looking for group

Post by Thorac »

ok thanx for explaining that...
( decides to give up on listen/spot builds seems pointless )

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

you can make a go of listen, but it will have to be a high wisdom bard.

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

Nyeleni wrote:Actually the crux is: either you're elf or not. If you are, you got a good chance of spotting or listening, if not you rely too much on chance and a crappy implemented system of finding the hiding character. Although the aasimar aura helps, it is better to have a specialized elf on your side.
And now you know why I hate Shadowdancers so much. RK has a hell of a time trying to kill them.

kain124
Looking for group

Post by kain124 »

Thorac wrote:kain can you explain how you came to 139 spot please ? make it simple for the poor Drow please :)
Sure 99 spot plus 40 effectively with aasimar light = 139. If it doesn't work that way then it is broken, period end of discussion, because that is the way it is advertised.

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

kain124 wrote:
Sure 99 spot plus 40 effectively with aasimar light = 139. If it doesn't work that way then it is broken, period end of discussion, because that is the way it is advertised.
Yep.. from what I've seen it works fine. A SD attacks an aasimar and everyone who's looking can see him.

Also I took my SD and walked into the aura and watched the hide&ms drop right down!

Doesn't quite work for ranged attacking SDs tho. ;P
ImageImage

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”