EA aquires BioWare/Pandemic Studios

General discussion on NWN scripting, expansions, and modules
cely
PKer

EA aquires BioWare/Pandemic Studios

Post by cely »

A sad day, a sad day indeed. This had better not put nwn patch 1.69 in jeopardy. If it does I'm gonna kill the next EA employee I see.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/ea-grabs-two-d ... 309937.php
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

de_slider
Looking for group

Post by de_slider »

This is the reason I left Ultima-Online.. was after EA bought them out then change the whole format of the game.

I hope they don't touch NWN but expect NWN2 to get some changes. EA think they are the cat's butt when it comes to online gaming. They are not interested in the long time dedicated players but in a high turn over of young paying pups that move from one venue to another.

With EA it's never about the game or the players... it's all bout the big buck and what they can soak from people in the shortest possible amount of time.
de_slider & her cross-eyed emu
-------------
-Slave-D'Stinger
-Slave- D'BeeBop a LuLu

Nolan Silvermoon
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Nolan Silvermoon »

de_slider wrote:With EA it's never about the game or the players... it's all bout the big buck and what they can soak from people in the shortest possible amount of time.

Thats corprate America for you :(

Zing
Developer

Post by Zing »

Last few EA titles I've bought have been really decent...

NFSMW, Godfather, C&C3, skate. all top drawer games.

Ooops sorry I forgot how fashionable it is to hate on them! :oops:
Talos - God of Rebellion.

...zing broke you didnt he...ITS ZINGS EVIL THAT HAS BROUGHT THIS DAY....
-mgrjebbo

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

I don't really have many EA games to begin with. Or games period, I just stick with the few good ones I have and rotate. All I know about EA is they keep generating sports games that my friends kept playing, although all of them were just the same game.

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

NWN2 is done by Obsidian, not Bioware fortunately. Not to say Obsidian couldn't be bought out as well...
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

I have a friend who until about 3 months ago was an Exec at EA. He left becuase they have become bloated and a pile of crap. They dont inovate they just gobble up developers like microsoft.

That being said, they do put a few good games becuase they have big budgets. NWN however will suffer Im sure. Sad sad day
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/neversummer4

-BannyD-
Spamalot

Post by -BannyD- »

DeputyDog wrote:I have a friend who until about 3 months ago was an Exec at EA. He left becuase they have become bloated and a pile of crap. They dont inovate they just gobble up developers like microsoft.

That being said, they do put a few good games becuase they have big budgets. NWN however will suffer Im sure. Sad sad day

aye. i forget who the company that created DAoC was...but they are working on Warhammer Online now. only reason they could develop the game was because EA bought them and is supplying plenty of cash...which is good for me cause i really wanna play it heh, but bad for small companies i guess.

on a side note...the EA games i have/do play are pretty good.
-Slave- [GM]
Psycho Banny and all his forms

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

Yeah the thing I'm worried about is EA looking at 1.69 and asking themselves, "Why are we paying a BioWare employee x amount of (canadian) dollars to work on something that isn't going to generate any revenue for us?". And building brand loyalty isn't a concern for them. Atari owns the Intellectual Property for Neverwinter Nights and the license from Hasbro/WoTC to make NWN games in the D&D world. If EA releases 1.69 it'll benefit one of their largest competitors, Atari. EA will *never* be able to a capitalize on the Neverwinter Nights name.

Bye bye 1.69 :(

Disclaimer: This was an emotionally charged post that might not have any bearing on reality :)
Last edited by cely on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

de_slider
Looking for group

Post by de_slider »

My MMORPG started on the grand daddy of them all. Ultima-Online. It was the first or second on line game to hit the market. UO when it was created it attracted millions. I played Lake Surperior Shard. I found to fo be a challenge in that you had to balance the skills for your class, and was limited to what you could use at what level. It was truly a Skill Based Game. You could meta - powergame it but you needed to have the right gear and skill level and class to get into certain areas.

Very much like what NS4 is about. That's why I like it here so much. NS4 is designed to keep you interested in goals as you can't hit level 40 in 1 day and a 1/2.

EA bought out UO after NWN had hit the market. On their first release of the new UO they made a huge amount of changes in game to lessen the amount of info stored on it's servers. Plus the changed the base play of UO from skill to Item base somewhat like NWN is on most servers.

Level 1 have someone give the armor of Nothing Can Hurt Me, along with the sword of Kill it All on First Hit. 3 hours later your level 40 and figure that you are good.

An example of this in UO, my animal tamer to reach Gand Master took 4 months after EA duid their thing, I made one to Grand Master in 2 days.

How this killed UO was 90% of the mature players who had 3 and 4 accounts (5 pc's per account) running the gambit of all aspects of UO up and quit the game. Instead EA was very happy with a younger crowd who could get gratified by getting to Grand Master levels in 2 or 3 days, hanging around for 6 months the quitting because they are bored. By then they have told 4 or 5 of their friends who now are repeating the cycle.

It became nothing but numbers. I will never ever think about ever joining an EA on line game again that is controlled by them. The risk of having them change the game into something that you didn't sign up for it just to great. The changes they made to UO would be like DD taking out level restrictions and putting in +20 items, allowing 2 prestege classes on a pc and saying Go For It Folks. NS4 would only be NS4 in name only. The game would not be the same.

On solo games EA is ok.. for on line.. trust me if they can figure out how to take over GameSpy or use the "Copy Right" of NWN along with the current servers going now to make a buck they will.

I will keep the faith and trust that DD and his team will keep us safe from EA harm.
de_slider & her cross-eyed emu
-------------
-Slave-D'Stinger
-Slave- D'BeeBop a LuLu

DM Vapor
Wheres the donation box?

Post by DM Vapor »

*rallies the troops*

TO WAR! ;)
Zing wrote:Next person who says ... gets a wedgie of underpant elastic breaking proportions.

Umberlee

-BannyD-
Spamalot

Post by -BannyD- »

de_slider wrote:It became nothing but numbers. I will never ever think about ever joining an EA on line game again that is controlled by them. The risk of having them change the game into something that you didn't sign up for it just to great. The changes they made to UO would be like DD taking out level restrictions and putting in +20 items, allowing 2 prestege classes on a pc and saying Go For It Folks. NS4 would only be NS4 in name only. The game would not be the same.

On solo games EA is ok.. for on line.. trust me if they can figure out how to take over GameSpy or use the "Copy Right" of NWN along with the current servers going now to make a buck they will.

ya...but thats just an example of when EA bought out a game (uhh uh oh NWN heh)..doesnt mean thats true for games EA originally produces :)
-Slave- [GM]
Psycho Banny and all his forms

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

NWN still makes money. It is still on store shelves so they will continue to support it.
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/neversummer4

Bloodstone
Pk Bait

Post by Bloodstone »

DM_Vapor wrote:*rallies the troops*

TO WAR! :wink:

Thats the spirit :twisted:
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

maibs
Pk Bait

Re: EA aquires BioWare/Pandemic Studios

Post by maibs »

pff they can stop supporting it, as soon as they release the source code for the engine.
I've heard of companies that make proprietary formats being told by courts to release the source of said format so that a monopoly can be avoided.
Surely there's a similar precedent for halting support for a game that people invest significant time and resources into providing for others ?

but yeah, NWN2 comes WITH nwn1 so I don't think they can really stop supporting it, bit like diablo 2 wich to my knowledge still has blizz servers online and is still updated.

Return to “NWN Discussion”