spell modification

General discussion on NWN scripting, expansions, and modules
Death Dealer1
PKer

spell modification

Post by Death Dealer1 »

if i wanted to tinker with a spell for a module i would have to open the 2da files on that particular spell right? then make adjustments where i wanted them? isn't that the jist of it?
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

Well, that's one way, but the changes you make to that file are limited and possibly subject to requiring a HAK for your module. Probably what you want to do is open up the toolset, open up the script editor, and select 'Show all resources' and find the name of the script for the spell you want to edit.

Then open that up and change it to whatever you want it to do.
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

the name of the script should be the name of the spell correct? or atleast close enough to it to get me close?

i was thinking of trying to rewrite the greater sanctuary spell a little to make it work with my own testing...maybe if i can actually figure this crap out i would post here how i did it so others can take advantage of that overpowered DM hated spell.

Elagneros
How is any of this relevant to my guild?

Post by Elagneros »

Note to self: mem more greater sancs.

But as Flailer said, I think you have to edit the spell scripts to change spell effects in the game. Actually I'm pretty sure that is how it's done, that's how NS4 has lots of altered spells without using any .haks.

The scripts should follow the normal naming conventions BioWare used for their scripts; spells from the OC probably start with nw, from SoU with x0 or x1, and from HotU with x2. I think the file names are something like nw/x0/x2_s#_(spellname).
Former leader of the Legendary Brethren.
Elagneros' Excellent Equipment Emporium

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

i don't think G.Sanc works on ns4, but if its is not altered it is one of the biggest spells a dm will mess with if your using it. i personally have outright killed chars for using it in quests because the AI won't attack even if they can see you....it was a horribly figured thing.

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

after searching and searching and searching...there is no such spell as greater sanctuary in the spells 2da list...i used this to find the res ref of the spell. there is however a lvl 6 spell called etherealness...i am asuming this is G.Sanc as that is how the spell is described. the res ref of that is _X1Ether. to rewrite this spell and save it to my mod i have to completely rewrite the entire spell don't I? is there anyway to actually open the script to look at what it does?

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Dig through this, especially the parts about spells.2da (what the columns do). The script is x0_s0_ether, the resref is probably for an impact animation.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

yeah, i found out after the fact that i was wrong on the res ref.....i suck a scripting. i did however find a quirky fix on the vault for sanctuary already. lets you set the time it lasts and the time between castings without nutering the spell out. seemed kind of cool.

Elagneros
How is any of this relevant to my guild?

Post by Elagneros »

Death Dealer1 wrote:i don't think G.Sanc works on ns4, but if its is not altered it is one of the biggest spells a dm will mess with if your using it.

It does work here, and it does look altered. The spell description says no save, but when I cast it, the mobs get Will saves against it.
Former leader of the Legendary Brethren.
Elagneros' Excellent Equipment Emporium

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

lvl 6 greater sanctuary or the low lvl regular sanctuary?

Sparky
Dungeon Master

Post by Sparky »

Greater Sanctuary now functions in a similar manner as regular Sanctuary except it has a higher save and a different school.

Etherealness, is a different ability as far as I can tell. It is a 3 round version of an unmodified Greater Sanctuary.
Serving NS4 proper as Lathander and Sleeth as Bahamut.

Yes, I'm a DM, but your build still sucks.

Return to “NWN Discussion”