Playing behind a Router : A refrence topic

General discussion on NWN scripting, expansions, and modules
kingfatzo
Addict

Playing behind a Router : A refrence topic

Post by kingfatzo »

This need not be spammed !!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed a few wierd things this morning on the server that were likey caused by what i am about to discuss below... which led me to make note of this in case some people are not yet aware...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This has been mentioned in older posts but ill just lay it out here:

If you are:
1. Playing behind a router, AND
2. have more than one computer running NWN on the same router

THEN Please ! be sure that each computer behind your router that is running NWN has a different client port number. your client port number can be changed in the NWNPLAYER.INI file ...

example: F:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwnplayer

in the file under the profile category, second line down -- simply change one number to be different than the other CPU(s)... example 5120 and 5125 and 5130 … or 5120, 5121, 5122, 5123, etc….

Failure to do so can cause multiple avatars of the same toon to appear, cross party chat, the tell system sending to the wrong player, and having players that have logged off still appearing on the player list....

example: If it is you and your buddies having a LAN party at your place just be sure to change the numbers before running to the fridge and downing any beverages :twisted:
here and more often when down at school, i have 4pc's available to my buddies when we have lan parites...running NWN off the same router ---

And to note: once you change the numbers, your PC will remember the number and you wont have to worry about changing it again...
Fatzo
Resident Glutton and Hand of the Legendary Brethren
http://thelegendarybrethren.forumsplace.com/
http://brethren.mygameguild.com/main.asp

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

any advice on how to post a module to gamespy for self use or buddy use from behind a router/firewall?
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

All I do is poke a hole for udp port 5121 and forward it to the box that my nwn server is running on. I do this using iptables on a linux box. For some reason I could never get it to work properly with OpenBSD's PF, although my problems with OpenBSD's PF may have been resolved since the last time I used it.
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

Blystos Re
PKer

Post by Blystos Re »

Thanks, that's really good to know.

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

i've opened a dedicated port in my firewall and internet and still can't get it to stick. used NWNx and it reports it as failing, i usually turn it off after 50 tries or so.
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

how did this turn into a server thread???

but to stay off-topic, I have a little module with a few maps, and some chests containing all the best NS4 armor, weapons, gear and shields. If I could just take the time to script it like Zing's old ns3 dojo, I could have the chests refreshing on-close, and tweak the spells to be more like they are on ns4 ;]

I also have a dedicated linux server box with nwn already installed and running for my own test purposes...
ImageImage

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

For server, these ports open under UDP:
* Ports 5120 through 5300
* Port 6500
* Port 27900
* Port 28900
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

DeputyDog
Addict

Post by DeputyDog »

Made this post sticky
DeputyDog
Founder
Neversummer
gmcever @ gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/neversummer4

kingfatzo
Addict

Post by kingfatzo »

i feel special :D

Cheers to DeputyDog !
Fatzo
Resident Glutton and Hand of the Legendary Brethren
http://thelegendarybrethren.forumsplace.com/
http://brethren.mygameguild.com/main.asp

DM Vapor
Wheres the donation box?

Post by DM Vapor »

This is a BUMP!

If you are using more than one PC behind a router, please re-check your settings!
Zing wrote:Next person who says ... gets a wedgie of underpant elastic breaking proportions.

Umberlee

Return to “NWN Discussion”