Basic Guide to Module Creation

General discussion on NWN scripting, expansions, and modules
PeregrineV
Relic Raider

Basic Guide to Module Creation

Post by PeregrineV »

I want to make some simple modules for my kids to play NWN. Does anyone know where I can get a guide of sorts to the basics of module building? Without digging through 300+ hours of Bioware or Vault posts.

Thanks! :!:

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

Death Dealer1
PKer

Post by Death Dealer1 »

just open it up and start digging around...i learned alot from that alone
if i didn't do it...someone else would have.

Elagneros
How is any of this relevant to my guild?

Post by Elagneros »

Former leader of the Legendary Brethren.
Elagneros' Excellent Equipment Emporium

Elagneros

Post by Elagneros »

And cely and dd1's advice is good as well. The Bioware tutorial is ok although I found it didn't really explain things well. Still, if you follow the directions, it should be a good way to learn the basics. And like dd1, most of what I learned about toolset use I learned through tinkering with it.

If you're making a module for your kids, you don't have to do anything really complicated anyway.

PeregrineV
Relic Raider

Post by PeregrineV »

True, They like to point on the monsters that are red and click the button to fight. But my middle kid is learning to read so I want to have NPC conversations with basic words.

Since NS4 is still down :cry: , I'll work on this some.

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

Conversations are time-consuming. Whenever you generate an NPC, they start out with all the generic scripts for heartbeat, userdefined, etc. I find they suffice to strike up a conversation in the first place.
    To create the conversation you want to strike up, simply go to the Basic page and look at the bottom box labeled Conversation. If you're just creating this NPC, it should be empty. To create a conversation, simply edit the blank and it'll pop up an Untitled window for the conversation. From there, type in your conversation. You should be able to figure out how you want your conversation to go.
      But, as the others said, I learned all I did from tinkering (scripting is a bit tricky though).

Elagneros

Post by Elagneros »

A bit tricky? More like damn hard unless you've got lots of experience coding. The Lexicon is pretty much a guide to scripting commands, however it hasn't been updated in a while, and so doesn't cover some of the really cool scripting stuff you can do with HotU.

Tyme
      Noob

Post by Tyme »

If you're making it for your children, put in a script to make the monsters say "Clean your room! Rargh!" Or "Do your parents taxes!" Subliminal messaging, and you can nag even when you're not there.

Return to “NWN Discussion”