Anyone miss Ns3 gameplay?

General discussion on NWN scripting, expansions, and modules
Oiparn
Noob

NS4

Post by Oiparn »

Wish I could say more positive things about NS4 rather than negative. I really, really tried to like it, knowing how long the devs spent on it. But it's plain jane, flat vanilla, overly restrictive, and just plain... boring.

Its everything NS1-NS3 hasn't been...and is that really that good of a thing?

Sorry I'm not really helping or adding constructive comments, but NS4 needs a complete overhaul - in my opinion (I know... go ahead and flame me). Not trying to be mean. I'm really not... but I have to be honest.

-Oiparn
"TIAMAT has promised us, she will protect us.
With water and with wind. With earth and with fire. And the Jealous Gods are forgetful in their comfort."

Throst54
Addict

Post by Throst54 »

it is palin.. right now...

we havent seen the quests or all teh jobs.. or the actaully areas yet...

all we see now is teh skeleton.. bare minimum...

cities... and the places inbetween for lvling.
Type post, tab tab enter, wait 4page 2 load, shift+tab tab enter, REPEAT!!!

tald card
Noob

Post by tald card »

ok i like the way ns4 is going but theres alot of stuff wrong with it

(1)you want players to make chars , test builds and give you feed back etc then make it easier for the players to make more chars ,more xp per kill more xp in party etc
(2)start lvl restriction at lvl 6 or so on items

(3)make items with only pure class being able to use not at lvl 30 or what ever your going to bring these in it start at your first restriction lvl

(4)yes this is a beta but make it fun for the players , this is the dms part get involved in the game , you guys all have your god chars use them , make it so your players dont want to leave even if its a beta , run events etc so , anything so players dont get bored with your mod and leave.

(5)if you make changes to the mod tell players before you do , dont just let them find out when they log on, to me that very disrespectfull to your players.

just say we are changing this because we think this would be better and ask for feed back , thats all you need to do, thats respectfull to your players

(6)when someone asks about something ie why no haste , why no dev crit etc tell them your reasons not the normal thats what were doing take it or leave it, that seams to be your reply to everything of late.

yes you guys will prob be pissed off saying the same thing over and over again but you must be respectfull to your players at all times , yes you build the mod , yes its up to you how the mod is run , yes its up to you what goes in the mod but if players get bored , pissed off etc and leave the you built it,the its up to you what goes in the mod , the its up to you how the mods is run means nothing if you have no players.

you will say prob players come and players go,if this was my mod yes i hope the players would come but i would dam sure want them to stay , if they left i would want to know why.
x sexy freak guild member

Wolfarus
Newbie Helper

Post by Wolfarus »

The party xp bonus is a big one, i think. Ive been in parties where everybody is within 1 level of eachother, and you get maybe 40% of the xp per monster then you would solo. Even when the party is just me and another person, only getting 40% per kill is annoying. Even going with "well you divide the xp between you evenly" reason, thats only 80%. Where'd the rest go?

After fixing the party xp, there really isnt anything you can do to encourage peeps to play in a party. Some people like to, most dont. At least not extensively.

kgb
Wheres the donation box?

Post by kgb »

I've been playing on NS 4 for a few months and made about 15 characters from different factions and levels.

I'm not a heavy RPer by any stretch of the imagination and realise that as a beta world alot of the nuances of quests and fleshing out NPCs is some time away. As a perspective I played for a long time on NS3 and whilst it was a Monty-Haul world there was a lot of comraderie and assistance by other players.

Maybe it's just me but I'm finding that the ages/mentality of people playing on NS4 is somewhat lower than I experienced on NS3. It's harsh of me to say but there are far too many petty immature and moronic people on NS4 and that's surprising as you would expect them to be playing on Monty-Haul servers where there's not much thought go into playing.

The only explanation I can provide is that all the "good" players who like to experience the world of NS4 and their characters and interaction with others have left or have been driven away by the lack of DM intervention with these "disruptive" players.

I would like to see the introduction of "deeper" quests and more starting areas to remove the repetitive and boring gameplay of powerlevelling at low levels. The reason this is prevalent is because there are so many anti-social people playing that grouping up is difficult at times.

I have met and played with about 12 different people on NS4 and where I saw upwards of 40 players on a server at any one time it would be lucky to hit half that number now.

It's great when you meet up with regulars to play online but so often now the enjoyment is being spoilt by a growing number of individuals intent on selfish behaviour to the detriment of the whole.

If this continues I only see the non-completion of NS4 because there will be such a small number of players that the critical mass will never be reached and all the hard work behind the scenes will be for nought.

More transparent DM intervention is required sooner rather than later before more disgruntled players leave this server.

Well there you have it.

Cheers,

kgb

sep caldessian
Wheres the donation box?

Post by sep caldessian »

kgb wrote:I've been playing on NS 4 for a few months and made about 15 characters from different factions and levels.

I'm not a heavy RPer by any stretch of the imagination and realise that as a beta world alot of the nuances of quests and fleshing out NPCs is some time away. As a perspective I played for a long time on NS3 and whilst it was a Monty-Haul world there was a lot of comraderie and assistance by other players.

Maybe it's just me but I'm finding that the ages/mentality of people playing on NS4 is somewhat lower than I experienced on NS3. It's harsh of me to say but there are far too many petty immature and moronic people on NS4 and that's surprising as you would expect them to be playing on Monty-Haul servers where there's not much thought go into playing.

The only explanation I can provide is that all the "good" players who like to experience the world of NS4 and their characters and interaction with others have left or have been driven away by the lack of DM intervention with these "disruptive" players.

I would like to see the introduction of "deeper" quests and more starting areas to remove the repetitive and boring gameplay of powerlevelling at low levels. The reason this is prevalent is because there are so many anti-social people playing that grouping up is difficult at times.

I have met and played with about 12 different people on NS4 and where I saw upwards of 40 players on a server at any one time it would be lucky to hit half that number now.

It's great when you meet up with regulars to play online but so often now the enjoyment is being spoilt by a growing number of individuals intent on selfish behaviour to the detriment of the whole.

If this continues I only see the non-completion of NS4 because there will be such a small number of players that the critical mass will never be reached and all the hard work behind the scenes will be for nought.

More transparent DM intervention is required sooner rather than later before more disgruntled players leave this server.

Well there you have it.

Cheers,

kgb

co-sign. brilliant post.

Draebor
Noob

re: Encouraging to group more

Post by Draebor »

Good points regarding things to come and limitations... I had a suggestion that may encourage people to group more, but I don't know how feasible it is because I don't have a good understanding of the scripting used in NWN.

Electronic Arts had an interesting concept they tried in their sci-fi MMORPG Earth & Beyond (sadly deceased now) to encourage players to group together... it went like this:

When two or more players grouped together, each member of the party received a special bonus. Each 'class' of character provided certain group bonuses to the party they belonged to, depending on what their racial/class specialties were. This was in addition to any spiffs that individuals could 'cast' on each other. The overall effect was that the larger and more diverse the party, the more cumulative benefits were gained.

In the D&D world, this might look something like this:

-Fighters provide the group with an overall +1 to hit/dam bonus
-Thieves provide the group a +1 AC dodge bonus
-Clerics improve the group's saving throws (+1)
-Mages provide 5-10% spell resistance

This stuff is purely just off the top of my head, but consider the benefits of having a diverse party (cumulative +1 AC, +1 to hit/dam, +1 saves, spell resistance). If that would make a large group too powerful, consider scaling back the bonuses... if you want to make it more of an incentive you can make the bonuses level-based (+4 to hit/dam for a 8th or 12th lvl fighter, etc...). Its a pretty flexible system.

As I said before, I'm not clear on how the code would look but my instinct and rudimentary knowledge of scripting tells me that it wouldn't be all that difficult. Thoughts, Ideas, Comments?

Return to “NWN Discussion”