Recent change

General discussion on NWN scripting, expansions, and modules
Rummybum
Newbie Helper

Recent change

Post by Rummybum »

I admit I don't follow the boards much anymore but it sure seems to me that sometimes we make strange changes so I look back and try to find a reason for them. I almost never do. I sometimes think the developers are playing a different game than we are.

As everyone knows I have been around for a very long time, I had been when CLAD and IO got going. So I have seen a lot of change but this recent example has me wondering what they are thinking. The inability to buff lowbies is really not a good idea. With the massive drop in the player base the ability for a lowbie to find a group is very nearly impossible. This means that starting a new toon for a veteran player is an even more painful boring grind. Is the occasional buffer helping others really something unpleasant for others? Helping others is something I like to do. It is in large part why CLAD exists.
Vastly confused

$chase$
Dearly Departed

Re: Recent change

Post by $chase$ »

you know i to brought this to there attention..i also believe we should have a server wipe
Auril - God Of Trickery
good thing im the DM then.............................lol

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

The dms/devs do play a much different game than the players do. Instead of looking at how things affect our personal experience towards our interactions, we have to see and try to predict how someones actions will effect every other players interactions.

When your power buff that lowbie to gain some quick levels you are actually making sure that no low level pvp will take place. This happens because players of similar level cannot compete with the buffs that have been kicked down on them. It also makes the players work a little more than just logging in and seeing bags of xp/gold walking around the server, might actually do some work and play the game rather than just login to farm.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

It's not that you CAN'T buff a lowbie, you just gotta learn the constraints and then stay within them to do it. It's just a bit trickier now.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Rummybum
Newbie Helper

Post by Rummybum »

There never has been any significant lowbie vs lowbie pvp. I have NEVER had one of my lowbie toons attacked by another lowbie. By a griefer? Sure. By a lowbie no. Why? Because pvp as a lowbie is a complete and total waste of time.

If there is any truly useful buff that still works I haven't found it. Buffing ac and damage and stats are all gone makes it pretty pointless.

I know some people have complained about buffers but in my experience it is usually the griefers complaining because they couldn't ruin someone else's enjoyment as easily.

The shortage of players is a big deal right now and this makes it worse.
Vastly confused

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

hand holding hippies is what keeps low lvl pvp active. remember when this was a factional server and pvp vs the other factions was the way you proved who's faction was best...at any lvl.
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Lowbie PvP is great, sorry you've never had the pleasure. Too busy power leveling I guess :)

We all know AO is the best faction since Chaos ruined LA by making a dwarf.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

I've been here 1/2 the time that Rummy has (according to his timeline) and I've engaged in lowbie PvP countless times. Personally, I really enjoy lowbie PvP and have even considered building for lower level increments just for it. Expeditious retreat FTW!

Last I tested... 3 spells would stick on a lowbie without any problems. This may have been fixed, but it is not what I was referring to anyway. There are still ways to fully buff them, you just need to figure out how. And no, they aren't illegal. They work fine within the constraints presented to us, as stated previously.
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

use a cleric of the same lvl?
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

Shhh, I'm trying not to let the secret out completely!

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

I like the change. Power leveling made the low-level experience pointless by taking out all the risk. Also, pvp sucked because you knew that you'd just get imploded by someone's buffer if you even tried attacking.

The exp curve was changed at the same time as the buffing change to speed up the low level grind if that was an issue before. Is that not helping?
Last edited by Rufio on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

PvRed :twisted:
::DD:: Minister of Hatemongering and Enemy Carpaccio
:MADD: Resident SlackMaster and KittenPuncher

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

My take:

You can still buff, now its just way less "Lol, free kills all day everyday", and you're much more bound by what you could get in a party of your own level.

The XP up for grabs if you were killing stuff 5 CR above you level consistently because of buffs was just far too good before, and even more ludicrous now.

If you can't find a lowbie party, monkey's sleeping, try again a little later.

I pvp low levels :). Daze so OP at level 3 or 4.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

DM-Baccob
Newbie Helper

Post by DM-Baccob »

Rufio wrote: The exp curve was changed at the same time as the buffing change to speed up the low level grind if that was an issue before. Is that not helping?
I have run lowbies testing balance and playablity in all the various factions using only the 500gp you start and what you can get for yourself. With just a little bit of planing it is really hard to make a build bad enough that it dies with any regularity. Given you dont stop for the buff sequence and you can just zerg the kills the new system is actualy more XP/ hour by my reconing.

BlkMamba
Wheres the donation box?

Post by BlkMamba »

Oddly enough, i'm enjoying bringing up my 2 new toons i cant believe i actually started
Its my 1st test of the leveling system of xp, seems to be rather decent
the monster changes to area's have made it much more entertaining
1 is a self buffer and has used his own spells and its been rather decent
few deaths here and there nothing unexpected
the other has 0 buffs for himself but has still been doin just fine
i'd have to say thumbs up

Return to “NWN Discussion”