Its time to update the wiki

Talk about the boards, on the boards.
Kurth
Looking for group

Its time to update the wiki

Post by Kurth »

Attention All!

After doing research into the many, many... many, new futures and aspects of NS4 since way back when, I have been scouring the wiki. There are many improvements to be made, and pages to be updated.

So if anyone wants to lend a hand please let me know in IRC or send me a PM.
Am I really as ugly as Father Kurth? %#$&

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

I'd be happy to lend a hand, not sure if it could help much though. I've basically posted and done all that I could for the Wiki when it first opened, and now I mostly edit, fix up, and delete spam.

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

speaking of which, the spam has gone crazy recently.

The spells should be 99% up to date. Celorn has done a good job of adding planar items. Factions and jobs have been kept up to date.

Shapechanged stats could use some work. Dragon should be accurate though.

The main thing that's missing is info about new areas and monsters, but IMHO learning that stuff is half the fun of exploring anyway.

Kurth
Looking for group

Post by Kurth »

My main focus is making navigation easier.

The ideas I have are:

1. Show the categories on every page either 1) on the side bar or 2) at the bottom.
2. Alphabetize many more nominal lists.
3. Create table of contents on pages 1) longer than a ~screen length or 2) with high detail or information.
4. Make it easier to link between pages in the Wiki. Like Wikipedia's "See Also" sections at the bottom of many pages that link to related topics. For example: Depression links to the many types of depression, while Somalia links to their militaries pages as well as recent history.
5. Try to shape a better file tree... its more convoluted than a corrupt symlink list. For instance, the FAQ should be updated, and be one of the major categories, or have a category of basic info, apart from the New player Guide.

Anyway, if anyone has other suggestions for the wiki, speech up! ^_^

*Edited after getting some sleep*
Last edited by Kurth on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

Excellent idea about the 'big' page formats, those standard links to jobs, factions etc should really be a template.

I subcategorised the guilds by faction, which i think is what you were trying to do with the guild page (manually creating your own TOC is a bit of a mug's game when the category system can do it for you).
I need to figure out how to reformat the subarticle and subcategory lists in a category page though. There are only 10 guilds and 7 factions, having them separated by first letter is overkill and kind of ugly.

What are your thoughts on making it easier to link to other wiki pages? I can't imagine it getting much easier than [[Northern Coalition]]...

Weeell, I think the general philosophy of guild pages is that guilders make 'em, sort of like a wiki homepage. I don't suppose most would mind if they were spruced up a bit, but i'm not sure imposing a template is a good idea.

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

I noticed you guys talking about guild homepages, and I'd just like to throw this out there that theres a max of 1 Wiki page per guild.

Kurth
Looking for group

Post by Kurth »

I subcategorised the guilds by faction, which i think is what you were trying to do with the guild page (manually creating your own TOC is a bit of a mug's game when the category system can do it for you).

That's more confusing than the Windows Command Structure...

Thanks for all the support guys, I'm in class, I'll post in an hour ^_^

*Edit for understanding*

Oh snapage!

So I should use the wiki code exclusively instead of HTML?

Kurth
Looking for group

Post by Kurth »

lol I was supposed to be in bed 2 hours ago! lol

Anyway I played around with the Earth Plane maps tonight. If anyone can point out flaws etc. let me know ^_^ (or suggestions)

Click here Map

Ok off to bed!

*Edited for clarity*

Blystos Re
PKer

Post by Blystos Re »

Map is very nice.

That unknown is DIMENSIONAL ANCHOR in the original, I think.

Return to “Meta-Forum”