Documentation is gone

Talk about the boards, on the boards.
DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Documentation is gone

Post by DrakhanValane »

Did the board cull the Documentation for you?
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Ouch, tried accessing it from the links on the website, they just dont exist any more. Joran I hope you kept the files somewhere else too.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Kell Of Neversummer
Pk Bait

Post by Kell Of Neversummer »

I have copies of most if not all of them if necessary.

Shasz
Pk Bait

Post by Shasz »

I noticed that this morning too. I've asked about it in IRC but no one is alive in there this morning.
Rolin Thunderstone - Defender of Ragnar's Kin

XxDkCobraxX
Pk Bait
Location: Someplace that is probably designed to be rpg-ish or fear-inspiring in nature.

Post by XxDkCobraxX »

docu forum = arrowed!
-|-Rent-|-

Ring ring ring ring ring....Banana Phone!

Joran
Spamalot

Post by Joran »

We're looking into it, that's all I can say for now.

Kell, if you would be so kind as to send any copies you made to me at joran@nsrealm.com, I'd be very grateful.

If anyone else has cached copies (Go to File > "Work Offline" and then try to access the pages), sending the HTML source code for those pages would also be a great deal of help.

The following pages have been recovered using Google cache and by players:
  • FAQ
  • Rules
  • Subraces
  • Tradeskills (thanks to dond!)
  • Factions
  • Items
  • Merchants
  • Quest Data
  • Binding
  • Deities
  • Jobs (thanks to Kell!)
  • Keyword System (thanks to Kell!)
  • Synergy Tactics (thanks to Kell!)
  • Miscellaneous Info
  • Spell Modifications

Update!

We have managed to recover all but 2 of the topics, thanks to everyone's help! The only remaining ones are the Realm Storyline page and the Experience and Levels page. Thanks to Lokey we know the specific URLs for those topics too :)

Method for finding these in your cache:
  • First, make sure "Work Offline" is CHECKED on the file menu. If this is unchecked, you risk losing the cached documents if they exist and replacing them with a 404 message :)
  • While working offline, type this into the address bar: http://www.nsrealm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=X, or (if you use this address to view the forums) http://boards.nsrealm.com/viewtopic.php?t=X
  • REPLACE X with either 24 or 32. These are the topic numbers for the remaining lost threads.
  • If you get a message saying the page is not available offline, just click cancel and move to the next one.
  • If the page pops up (hooray!) simply send either the source code (view/source) or the html file (file/save) to joran@nsrealm.com

Thanks in advance to anyone helping out! I do not relish the thought of having to not only re-type but re-think all the documentation! Those helping out will no doubt be lavished with all kinds of gifts :)

I've backed up the database now, just in case, and I'll do it again at regular intervals now, to be safe.
Last edited by Joran on Thu May 27, 2004 12:51 am, edited 7 times in total.

dond
Newbie Helper

Post by dond »

it was me that sent in the tradeskills info! :P

i didn't use your way though. i'm using ie 6, so there are multiples of the same address sorted by dates.

if you go to tools > internet options > settings (under general tab, and under the temporary internet files section) > view files, you'll see a list of all files in your cache (cookies not included).

just click "type" to have it sorted and scroll down to "HTML"
then look for "nsrealm.com/boards/etc etc <insert topic number here>".
might want to look at the ones that's a few days old (22nd-23rd of May likely), and hopefully, you'll have the info!

and after all that, you might want to clear the cache :P

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

Hmm. No, I clear my cache every day.

It could have happened due to the 'expire' flag being changed. I know someone who has a BB2 forum and that happened to them a month ago.
Searching for eternity, dreaming, for the key to open twilight.
- - - -
Jollyblue/Bongoblue blog NS3 and NS4 site updated November 24, 2004

Joran
Spamalot

Post by Joran »

No, it wasn't an accident.

"Someone" decided to fire a parting shot at all of us, and deleted all topics in that forum.

Wonderful, eh?

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

Joran wrote:No, it wasn't an accident.

oof.

I can host a duplicate when you get them back. I had thought about asking to do that when I arrived here. Sorry for not bringing it up earlier.

WNxRS 99
Noob

Post by WNxRS 99 »

Joran, ive got the last 2 files, ill send you them now...

Mun Zu
Noob

Post by Mun Zu »

so if we have them all, where are they? the links on the website still dont work, or is that just me?

Thanos
Looking for group

Post by Thanos »

maybe he hasn't linked them back up?

Pretty sad someone would do that.

LadyCheron
Developer

Post by LadyCheron »

Having the text back is not quite the same as having the pages (with all of their HTML tags) back. Also, Joran's got a Real Life(tm) and a Real Life Job (tm). He's only got a few hours each evening to work on the module and the boards.

Akatomboo
Noob

Post by Akatomboo »

Well if you remember a few keywords from the pages still missing, google can have a cache of these.
hope that helps.
SARGE 's been miniaturized !!!!
After havin being morphed again into a penguin and back by the evil Queen of NS South, Sarge is now only 86 cm tall and likes to swim a lot.

Return to “Meta-Forum”