Bottleneck

Place to talk about the new game. Love it or hate it, its here and its different.
Metis
Dungeon Master

Bottleneck

Post by Metis »

I am getting some serious fps problems, I checked around and the impression i got was the way its coded it ends up being very cpu intensive, as opposed to the video card. I set almost everything to lowest no shadows, water, max 2 lights etc. My video card was also set to the lowest, quality, settings but if I can get 15fps I am lucky. So I am wondering if I should be trying to OC my cpu.

Obvious stuff aside, latest patches, defragged etc so just at a loss.

specs:
nvidia 6800gt
p4 3.0
2 gig corsair xms
mb msi neo 675p
p/s 450w elight <--- might be the problem
sata 2 raptor 10000rpm raid0

no issues cooling or with any other program
"Wheresoever you go,
go with all your heart." - Confucius

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

What screen resolution do you use? 1600x1200 isn't going to happen without the latest and greatest for example. (Going from 1200x900 to 1024x768 might help, 10x7 to 8x6 probably not so much.)

6800 series do pixel shader 3.0 (one pass as opposed to several with the earlier shaders)?

I don't think it forces hardware sound by default, but not really sure on that. That might save some cpu cycles.

Otherwise, I don't know Intel processors, so I'm not sure what kind of swap out/upgrade cheaply options you have.

Also it's a question of what other programs ;) Do you have a modern lighting fully normal mapped game to try out? Maybe the Dark Messiah demo--all 1.5GB of download that it is for 2 small maps.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Metis
Dungeon Master

Post by Metis »

the resolution is 1280x768 (or is it 1366x768) at work so forgot for sure but one of those i think the 6800 does have pixel shader 3.0

I will try the download you suggested :D
"Wheresoever you go,
go with all your heart." - Confucius

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Try looking in the taskmanager at the Processes tab and end-tasking any programs with a high amount of Memory Usage or that have a high amount of CPU Time.

msconfig.exe is your friend. Uncheck anything you don't need under the Services and Startup tabs then give your system a reboot.

Also doing a virus/spyware scan and cleaning up a bit would help.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Aarkon Draco
Newbie Helper

Post by Aarkon Draco »

on the subject of the box for the game im getting a new puter soon and im wondering if i should go dual core or not im trying to stay under 1k for price so a price range of say 750 to 950 is ideal.

my delema is wether i should get a dual core or not most dual core systems in my price range have less than 2ghz per core ( usaly a 1.86 per core ) from what ive read nwn2 is not setup to use dual core so ill depend on one of the 2 cores and at 1.8 ghz its not even hitting the min specks for the processor.

however if i get a older single core my "new" puter may not be up to par for newer games wich will undoubtedly make use of dual core systems.

im for getting the most out of a purchase like this my current puter is 8 years old and at its end so i want my new puter to be as long lasting as this one or close atleast so any input that you my friends can give me will help me in this decision.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Aarkon Draco wrote:on the subject of the box for the game im getting a new puter soon and im wondering if i should go dual core or not im trying to stay under 1k for price so a price range of say 750 to 950 is ideal.

Yes to dual-core, one core of a dual core modern chip at 1.5gHz will kill a Pent4 at 3 gHz, speed isn't what it used to be.

Even assuming you keep nothing but the monitor, less than $1k with possibilities to upgrade will be possible with AMD or Intel. Plenty of vid cards >6 months old that'll handle NWN2 (but not rock it, it's pretty demanding)...say the 512MB 7900GTX (nVidia design, ~$250) or a similarly priced x1900string-of-letters from ATI. ATI better performance, Intel better driver support. Budget around $100 for a decent power supply too...there's a lot of garbage power supplies out there these days. Couple people around here just upgraded, I'm not too down with current best deals.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Valve is releasing a patch upgrading the HL2 engine to take advantage of multi-core.

Then again, that's Valve... NWN2 is from Bioware, I'm afraid of what would happen if they even tried to patch any of their software to go multi-core.

PSU's are easy, go with a brand name. Antec and Enermax are a couple good names.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

nwn2 runs fine on my bargain-level (once was top of the line) computer...

I have textures at max, but most of the features on med or low, at 1024x768 and it runs smoothly, even when fighting a room full of bad guys. The characters have some 'crusty' edges due to not having AA turned on, but i play zoomed-out most of the time anyhow so I don't notice it very much.

System: AMD Sempron 3300 on a nice ASUS mobo with an ATI 9800 Pro and 1 gig ram...
ImageImage

Nolan Silvermoon
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Nolan Silvermoon »

ive found that, ending some process's on task manager, turning my high speed cable modem off, and also disabling my anti-virus program helps my speed tremedously, im also considering reformating my comp, so i can get rid of some unwanted programs that i cant otherwise delete in the normal way. the only downside to that is all of the downloads you must do to get everything you want back on. :cry:

clstrider
Noob

Post by clstrider »

NWN2 is extremely resource intensive. There is a feature called VSync that the game does not provide any way to turn it off. I believe you have to do it from your video driver. If that is the bottle neck, you might be able to double your framerate.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Or just change your adapter to use a high refresh rate...
CRT 4 3v3r!!!
(LCD's r 4 t3H n00BzeRZ!)
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Nolan Silvermoon wrote:ive found that, ending some process's on task manager, turning my high speed cable modem off, and also disabling my anti-virus program helps my speed tremedously, im also considering reformating my comp, so i can get rid of some unwanted programs that i cant otherwise delete in the normal way. the only downside to that is all of the downloads you must do to get everything you want back on. :cry:

Modem shouldn't matter unless something is using it. Extraneous OS processes aren't usually that big of a deal, at least all the time (it depends on what they're doing). Good link to get you started getting processes under control: here. Also depends on the anti-virus...well look at it this way, if it isn't Nod, Avast or AVG...probably best not to mention it here (MacAfee and Norton seem bloated into uselessness these days and the ones I mention have free personal use editions).

Probably easier to do the clean boot instructions at MS (or maybe in the NWN2 help file...forget) to see if cleaning things up will help first (granted you could have spy/malware still running in background).

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I noticed a big difference in how smooth the game plays going from 1gb to 2gb memory.

Not that that helps much with slow fps and already having 2gb :P
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

lordkevin
Noob

Re: Bottleneck

Post by lordkevin »

Thanks for the nice post dear...

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Re: Bottleneck

Post by Lokey »

Well maybe 7 years ago for mainstream hardware :)

NWN2 stock renderers are pretty awful, there's no getting around that.

Return to “NWN2 Rants and Raves”