My first impressions

Place to talk about the new game. Love it or hate it, its here and its different.
Wolfarus
Newbie Helper

My first impressions

Post by Wolfarus »

Just got it yesterday, along with final fantasy 5 for gameboy advance. Woo, im set for gaming for a good while again.

Anyways..

Control seems clunky and awkward, and trying to micromanage a party is more painfull then it should be. Graphics are pretty and shiny, as expected from a "new" release. Voice acting is great, thought it suffers from the same flaw that every new game ive bought that features voice acting suffers from : good talent on all the extra's and secondary characters, nothing for your character.

There is no reason why they couldnt have set up voice acting (according to whatever voice you choose at creation) for your char during the various cutscenes and such.

So yeah, control system (both player and party) need work, but aside from that im liking it so far.

kingfatzo
Addict

Re: My first impressions

Post by kingfatzo »

Wolfarus wrote:There is no reason why they couldnt have set up voice acting (according to whatever voice you choose at creation) for your char during the various cutscenes and such.

aye.... ahaahahhaa for some reason i am not suprised with that :lol: ....too bad... it would have made for a more interactive and intresting gameplay... hell , any of you remember or have ever played Ultima IX ? heeeeeh... the game is 7 years old and every single voice line from npc's to your own characters responce is fully recorded and implimented.....

it just proves again, that bioware is being halfa$$ :shock: :shock: :shock:
Fatzo
Resident Glutton and Hand of the Legendary Brethren
http://thelegendarybrethren.forumsplace.com/
http://brethren.mygameguild.com/main.asp

shield
Developer

Post by shield »

Getting used the the controls now. A first they seem strange, but I'm getting to like them now. I'm just used to nwn1 so it's taking a bit of readjusting.
Kord - The Brawler

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

shield wrote:Getting used the the controls now. A first they seem strange, but I'm getting to like them now. I'm just used to nwn1 so it's taking a bit of readjusting.

The controls are pretty horrible, but what's worse is the crappy path-finding, buggy target-clicking (both walking and fighting), and the ugly, stiff and jumpy walking and fighting animations. With a full graphics overhaul, I would have expected a LOT better - the combat and walking animations are GREAT in KotOR2 so not sure what happened in nwn2 considering the same company did both...

It's a 50/50 thing... some changes are great - like being able to move HUD windows around and script them to look different, and setting targets for spellcasting, and all the great changes to classes and new PRCs..
ImageImage

Wolfarus
Newbie Helper

Post by Wolfarus »

On the subject of the game..

Slight spoiler ahead, so if you havnt played it much yourself, or yet to at all, click the back button on yer broswer and go read the latest spam post from fatsypoo.

Just finished with the sea ghost ship mini quest, and im running low on healing supplies. Ive cleaned out the merchants that ive ran into so far, but have yet to find a dedicated kit or healing potion vendor. Any idea where i can find one this early into the game? The temple in the merch section dosnt seem to sell anything..

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

There's more rooms in that temple, the merchant is towards the north-west. That's probably the toughest bad guys you'll face in the game actually--a couple rogues with a few sneak dice is painful--then you get a whopping 30xp for them :(
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Wolfarus
Newbie Helper

Post by Wolfarus »

Lokey wrote:There's more rooms in that temple, the merchant is towards the north-west. That's probably the toughest bad guys you'll face in the game actually--a couple rogues with a few sneak dice is painful--then you get a whopping 30xp for them :(

Uh...yeah lol

Have you been to the top of fire giant mountain yet? There's something up there besides fire giants...

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

FIRE ANTS!!!
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Fantine
Noob

Post by Fantine »

Finally bought it last week. Waited for a while, with the hopes that a lot of the bugs were worked out. Seems okay from that perspective.

Was also hoping that people would have created a bunch of mod's by now for online - but really don't see all that many of any quality, though I could be wrong. If anyone is playing anything cool online, please chime in.

My first impressions of the single player game:

PROS
New prestige classes
New feats
Some of the cut scenes (some okay humor between henchmen)
Quests and storyline during the campaign

CONS
Subpar graphics
Confusing combat
Long load times between areas
World map load times
Tiny icons
Selling a volume of items takes forever
Stupid henchmen (fireballing entire party)

I'm really enjoying the storyline of the campaign, but feel like it gets bogged down by the long load times between areas. Also i find the fact that my magic user henchman constantly trashes my party with her fireballs. I end up controlling her during most battles, just to try to protect the rest of my party.

Ultimately I prefer NWN1 better. Just a better look. Better graphics and vocals. I'm only up to the warehouse quest in NW City, so maybe my opinion will change. All in all, i am definitely enjoying the game, so I guess i should not trash it too much. I guess I just expected a bit more, but i tend to think this is a case of getting used to Obsidian's style, while i was used to Bioware.
Slave Talos

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Fantine wrote:Ultimately I prefer NWN1 better. Just a better look. Better graphics and vocals.

A lot of the basic sounds are the same from NWN1. I don't want to know what combination of settings it takes to make NWN2 look worse graphically than NWN1 though ;)

GUI: it's not very user friendly and pretty ugly. This time you can change that :shock:
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Return to “NWN2 Rants and Raves”