NWN2 Screen Scrolling

Place to talk about the new game. Love it or hate it, its here and its different.
Gornickthy
Spamalot

NWN2 Screen Scrolling

Post by Gornickthy »

I just started to dabble with NWN2 and was trying to turn off the annoying screen scrolling up and down by the mouse cursor. Nothing I have done seems to stop this anarchy and is driving me nuts. Can anyone assist me with this? Is there a way to turn this option off or is it simply broken and made to make people motion sick? I turned it off and yet it still continues. HELP?!?!?!?!?!
Power is not given. It is taken.
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]
Ya ya ya I know... stop whining, complaining, and learn to build better.

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Re: NWN2 Screen Scrolling

Post by Flailer »

Can't guide you offhand, but a lot of us have modified the config so it pretty closely mimics that of NWN1. I'll see if we can post what those config settings are here soon.
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Gornickthy
Spamalot

Post by Gornickthy »

That would be very helpful, thank you. :)
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

There's check boxes for side and bottom/top scrolling in the "Strategy" camera section. I turn those both off and use hold middle mouse plus movement to position the camera. Make sure that focus is on active character as well, when it isn't the amount you can tilt the camera is decreased (i.e. can't tilt it horizontal to see ceilings).

I don't like character camera, you're on your own on that one.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Gornickthy
Spamalot

Post by Gornickthy »

Ah ok.. I tried just having the scroll unchecked and it never seemed to really turn it off. I will try your suggestion and see how it works out. Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. :)
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]

Dalan
Dungeon Master

Post by Dalan »

While your ingame playing, the * button will toggle you back and forth between Character Mode and Strategy Mode. The dialog box will show you this, as you change back and forth.

Strategy Mode is the one you want to stay in. Play around with all the different option boxes in the Strategy Mode options screen. Keep doing this until you get the camera setting you like. I eventually stumbled upon a setting that was quite like NWN1.
Dumathoin: Keeper of Secrets under the Mountain

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

There's always the post I made, which is hidden away in this sub-forum ;)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Rusty
Noob

Post by Rusty »

i think this might be what you're looking for. after the last patch, the camera made the game all but unplayable for me, as it kept snapping back behind my toon.

Camera keeps snapping behind the selected character
In the default mode the camera follows the character and stays in position over the characters shoulder. However, the camera doesn't snap instantly behind the character, instead there is a small pause, this is called 'camera lag' and its default value is 1. To change this setting open your 'My Documents' NWN2 folder and locate the file called "nwn2player.ini". Open this document with notepad or another text editor and set the following two variables to the given parameters:

Camera_Lag_Min=0.000000
Camera_Lag_Current=0.000000

With these settings the camera will not automatically move behind the controlled character. The camera will now stay in place, no matter which direction the PC faces.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

My camera setting post (all of 4 topics down lol) http://www.nsrealm.com/public/ns/viewto ... 54&start=4

Gornickthy
Spamalot

Post by Gornickthy »

Interesting... I will check those settings out and see how they work. I do hope that camera settings are the extend of my worries with the game...LOL.
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]

kyllroy
Noob

Post by kyllroy »

I like your settings suggestion in Strategy mode. The scrolling sideways after my changes have to be done with the arrow keys now, but that is preferable to the "snap to the location you never want" position.

Thanks, now off topic ranting:

Now where is NS5 and why, oh why does it have to be 1 1/2 years late and after all that waiting, a factional NS4 type of system?
I left NS4 along with plenty of others and went back to nice and comfortable NS3.5. Lets get real goals and move along now! :evil:

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

NS5 Factions are going to be slightly different than NS4 Factions, so if that's bothering you, don't let it bother you. How's that for a cryptic non answer? :P
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

kyllroy
Noob

Post by kyllroy »

cely wrote:NS5 Factions are going to be slightly different than NS4 Factions, so if that's bothering you, don't let it bother you. How's that for a cryptic non answer? :P
Slightly better then I would hope. :roll: Even if it was worse, not having a NS server there sucks big time. Better to suck at something than suck at nothing. Did I just say suck 3 times? Make that 4. :mrgreen:

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

kyllroy wrote: Now where is NS5 and why, oh why does it have to be 1 1/2 years late and after all that waiting, a factional NS4 type of system?
I left NS4 along with plenty of others and went back to nice and comfortable NS3.5. Lets get real goals and move along now! :evil:
I would like to point out that NS4 took about 2 years to open up. Plus, since then, it's had about 4 years of work continued to be put into it by various people.

I guarantee you, we on the dev team are all more anxious to get NS5 up and running more than any of it's future players. It'll come - these things just take time (given by people with real lives, jobs, families, and precious little free time).

That said, we'd always like to invite people to help out if they're interested in moving things forward more quickly. There's room for item creation, creature creation, interior or exterior area design, scripting work - if you have the desire, we can always find a place for you. :)

So, if you want it to come faster, in the words of the great MJ, "Look in the mirror and make that change!" :wink:
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

kyllroy
Noob

Post by kyllroy »

I'm no graphics designer if thats what you need. My assistance is more on the team level working areas for bugs, finding traps in the walkmesh, quest pitfalls and story building. I do know a wonderful designer that is working on Shadows of Infinity (PW Action) and have been joking along with him and helping when I can find things. We got busy and named a few of the vendors, things like that that the good artists seem to never have time for but are facinating if creatively done well.
The story threads all have to fit the overall theme but side drama for auxillery quests are definitly doable.... with help from a team.
Oh yeah, I have a job and a life too...:)

Return to “NWN2 Rants and Raves”