Balancing

For the Neversummer 4 Old Reflections Server (Closed)
Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

i love it when players try to pwn dm's when they have no idea where the mod is ;)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

mgrjebbo
PKer

Post by mgrjebbo »

hehe double pwn!
Amoenotep wrote:Interesting turn of events.....

Mr. O'Dearly
Developer

Post by Mr. O'Dearly »

Make lvl 30 shifters immune to timestop. :D

Rummybum
Newbie Helper

Balanced on a pin

Post by Rummybum »

Heck with shifters make me immume to timestop.

Seriously the factions really aren't very balanced in some ways. to me it doesn't matter all that much and in a RP setting it's no big deal. But, at the same time I know where Dub is coming from; we have some very annoying pvp types who act like the fact that the game gives them advantages that are uncounterable, by NC for instance, means they are just great players.

Disadvantage in NC is no arcane casters, no rogues, absolutely feeble guards, even our nexus guards just stink. On the other hand you have huge, essentially private, interesting areas to train. If you ever can get a lowbie group together you hardly need to leave your own territory.

LA has most convenient location but they are always in the crossfire.

I think all of the factions have their own problems and advantages. It's fun but it isn't always balanced.
Vastly confused

Findor
Pk Bait

Post by Findor »

It's fun but it isn't always balanced.

Balance in NWN is argued about ad infinitum. How do you define it? Can it be objectively quantified and measured? Bioware developers, in many people's views, did not achieve it. The NS4 staff, many might say, has not achieved it. Neither has the development staff on any other server I've played. It's the Holy Grail of NWN mod development. I think to even have a chance at achieving it, you'd have to develop some kind of tweakable PvP simulation program to objectively identify the imbalances (however they are defined). You know, run random simulations that reflect every conceivable matchup between all possible builds making use of every conceivable action and combination of actions. Then make adjustments to spells, bonuses, feats, skills to address the imbalances that surface and run the simulations again.
Baring this, or some other equally involved approach, you are left with Art. And the NS4 developers have done an incredible job by that measure.
Phineas | Gray | Fracas (MA unaligned)
Bardoc [IO] | Inexorable [IO] | Clericus [IO] | Alatar [IO]

Mythri Wolfwood
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Mythri Wolfwood »

As an almost exclusive TC/NC player, I'd like to chime in with my past experiences with TS-spammers.

My motto against all casters in general: KD them fast and keep them down. Greater Spell Mantle scrolls work wonders against the spells that may be cast on you once your pants are down. Even though shifters aren't immune to time stops, one shape does provide a nice mage-counter. HiPSing, hard-hitting snipers can also be effective against a mage without proper backup. High SR/save monks can also pose problems for mages. If all else fails, make a high HP toon and chug potions till the mage runs out of time stops.

The dubliner
Noob

Post by The dubliner »

Balance in NWN is argued about ad infinitum. How do you define it? Can it be objectively quantified and measured? Bioware developers, in many people's views, did not achieve it. The NS4 staff, many might say, has not achieved it. Neither has the development staff on any other server I've played. It's the Holy Grail of NWN mod development. I think to even have a chance at achieving it, you'd have to develop some kind of tweakable PvP simulation program to objectively identify the imbalances (however they are defined). You know, run random simulations that reflect every conceivable matchup between all possible builds making use of every conceivable action and combination of actions. Then make adjustments to spells, bonuses, feats, skills to address the imbalances that surface and run the simulations again.
Baring this, or some other equally involved approach, you are left with Art. And the NS4 developers have done an incredible job by that measure.

This purely about timestop and nothing more. Timestop is a very powerful spell here at NS4 and when 5 factions have access to it and 2 do not. There is the inbalance of the 2 factions.

This is not about the search for the holy grail or anything else, so plz do not go into lengths about feats, PRC, or anything else off topic. We as the circle and northern coalition need some nuetral playing field when it comes to a mage casting timestop and yet we can't or for the matter even have someone remotely close to casting timestop. There is the inbalance. :(

Mr. O'Dearly
Developer

Post by Mr. O'Dearly »

No, no, no no no...

Nothing is ever just about one thing. If you want it to just be about one thing then a server with multiple factions is pointless. The factions are different. They have different strengths. Timestop is not TC or NC's strength. If you can find no other way to win than to use timestop<edit>and winning is necessary to your fun</edit>, then perhaps TC and NC aren't the factions for you.

P. Fricebottle
Addict

Post by P. Fricebottle »

RK can make time stoppers but we don't that often, Time Stop isn't an I Win Button ever since it stops everyone. Back when it stopped enemies only, 1 Time Stop and you won - no questions asked. Now all you really have to do is build a sturdy character that can withstand IGM's and Horrid Wiltings and such since the Wizard is going to be the only one hitting you most of the time.

Also NC has some real potential for builds as demonstrated by CLAD a while back, so any notion of NC at a PvP Disadvantage here is nullified as NC has access to a pretty hardcore PrC. TC on the other hand, maybe. They've got jobs now, a pro no matter how minor it might become in the epics, and Shifter is pretty good but I'm not familiar with TC altogether.

Considering their complete lack of Relic Action ever since they were implemented, I suppose its possible to assume they're at a sort of disadvantage but it may just be player base rather than the faction as Denwego has proven it can be done if you're TC.

Aarkon Draco
Newbie Helper

Post by Aarkon Draco »

make all clases avialble to all factions only the jobs ect are faction based.

all balanced all even end of complaints about X class having Z ability that pwns Y faction

Ebenezer Grymm
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Ebenezer Grymm »

The only thing Denwego has proven is that he can either be ported or port himself instantly from the Garagoth relic room to Melencia.

Now think hard and tell me what that proves...
This will not be over quickly.

You will not enjoy this.

M.D.

AllAmerican
Dungeon Master

Post by AllAmerican »

If you make all classes available to all factions, you destroy all the work that the Devs have put out there for your enjoyment.

Time Stop is a spell that acts as a super ubber haste for the caster. It makes them so fast that it looks as if everyone is standing still. This is why it really dosent affect the people it is being used aganst it only really affects the caster. This is why there isnt a save or SR against it.

Build to defeat a TS spammer or dont, it is totally up to you.
Erevan Ilesere-God-of-Mischief

LinuxPup wrote:Because I hate players.

The dubliner
Noob

Post by The dubliner »

Build to defeat a TS spammer or dont

I have a druid dragon w/ over 1200 hitpoints and can hit about anything, and a sr of 53, and one of those timestoppers cast the timestop over and over and bam i am dead. Heh, go figure. :(

Blystos Re
PKer

Post by Blystos Re »

Part of the reason you may find it hard to beat, dub, is that if you are solo and you meet a grouchy mage with timestop and IGMs that you're probably going to be toast after a bit.

IGM divvies up the damage based on the number of targets. So don't solo.

Join CLAD. (lol)

Fricebottle, I will agree with you, we have a lot of potential. All I was saying is that we have no counter. I imagine if all of us had the time on our hands that some other guilds seem to, you would see a much different CLAD than us "weekend warriors". Probably a much different NC as well as probably TC.

...not to point fingers at other guilds or their apparent lack of other things to do. :wink:

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

i agree..you need to stop going outside and play neversummer more.....NOW GET TO IT!!!!!!!
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Return to “Neversummer 4 Reflections (Closed)”