uplayable lag, 2013-05-13 1945 CEST

For the original NS4 server
Hyk
Noob

uplayable lag, 2013-05-13 1945 CEST

Post by Hyk »

Hello friends,

terrible lag made playing impossible today. Multiple others on the server experienced the same issue, so its not on my side. Hopefully its temporary.

Thanks,

Hyk

Delisha Zrazorian
Newbie Helper

Re: uplayable lag, 2013-05-13 1945 CEST

Post by Delisha Zrazorian »

we were on at this time... and only had a couple spikes...

better then normal for us really with our satellite connection... :D

but indeed Hyk and Mord... couldn't even move ... :shock:

I thought it was kinda funny really, cuz it's usually the other way around :lol: :lol: :lol:

at your service,
:twisted:
My attitude toward men who mess around is simple: If you find 'em, kill 'em!

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

I ran some traceroutes to the people that were complaining about lag on shout and couldn't find any commonality between them. Some people were on the west coast, some were on the east coast, some were in Europe... So then I took a look at the performance monitoring graphs for the server to see if there were any unusual spikes in cpu/ram/disk i/o utilization. There were no such spikes around the time people were complaining about lag. There also wasn't anything unusual in the logs. I did notice, a ~10ms spike in latency between the monitoring server in Atlanta and the game server in San Francisco. So that leads me to believe that the lag everyone experienced was due to a network issue near the server rather than an issue with the server itself.

Hopefully this won't become a regular occurrence, but if it happens again please perform a traceroute to ns4.nsrealm.com WHILE YOU ARE EXPERIENCING LAG and post your source IP and the entire traceroute in this thread. If for some reason you don't feel comfortable posting this information in a public forum, feel free to send it to me in a PM.

On Mac/Linux: open a terminal and type traceroute ns4.nsrealm.com
On Windows: open a command prompt and type tracert ns4.nsrealm.com

You can look up your source IP by visiting a website such as http://www.whatismyip.com/

Thanks,
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

cely
PKer

Post by cely »

This thread is only for reporting lag, all other posts will be deleted.
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

Return to “Neversummer 4”