Tiefling Darkness

For the original NS4 server
frogofpeace
PKer

Re: Tiefling Darkness

Post by frogofpeace »

*grabs dragon by the tail, whirls around, and flings her through the air* a dragon ain't a cat, she don't land on her feet; the turbulence of her passage is too great for her to use her wings ... etc etc.

Oh, the fun we have relating NWN/DnD/Harry Potter/Star Wars/*your fantasy here* to actual physical laws - I'm still trying to decide whether NWN is best described using matrix equations or something involving eigenfunctions. I'd like to post more, but Fox's just ran out, and I gotta ii and haste meself so's I can sneak out to lunch ...
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Amoenotep wrote:how would you dispell a knockdown....pick the guy up yourself?
Reminds me of that level 1 Spell Compendium spell they probably put in as a joke.

SR no. Material req 1 crossbow bolt. Material focus one crossbow. You launch the bolt doing normal crossbow damage at ab if you used the crossbow. Useable at will, standard action.

Unfortunately they didn't specify size of bolt, so use gargantuan ones for like 8d6 ;)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Tsavong
Spamalot

Post by Tsavong »

I'm gunna be a boring person and stick a on topic post here!

Today me and a friend did some playing about with darkness he was using his Tiefling we found out that Invisibility Purge dose remove the part of darkness that hides you making the people in darkness viable with out UV but if I left his darkness and then went back into it unless he had uv he could not see me even though I could see him and no I did not have uv.

Is this the way it should happen, Invisibility Purge taking away the bit of darkness that hides people antill you leave it and go back in?
Melkor of Mellifeur {GODS}, Banshee {GODS}, Warlock {GODS}
MrAsimov wrote:...one thing has become fairly obvious to me: NC is already full of a bunch of rogues.

MLoki
Relic Raider

Post by MLoki »

LinuxPup wrote:Even though a dragon is a dragon, a level 40 player is practically a god... if we were going by PnP... of course that stuff is all messed up for persistent worlds. A pure level 40 fighter should be able to KD practically anything... and in NS4 that's almost true.
Except for the AO guards who aren't really dragons but can see everything and can't get Knocked Down by anything. Why was Sleeth worried about Shadow Dancer thieves?
Amoenotep wrote:i want your toon to be useless :)

kain124
Looking for group

Post by kain124 »

Nyeleni wrote:Divine abilities? Like Divine Might, Shield and Wrath? Never got stripped of that... You sure it didnt just run out? ;)
Nah Sal would lose his divine shield about every other dispel in posi or neg with all those aoa's running around. Sometimes I wondered that myself, but when divine shield's lasting 14 rounds, and it's gone within two swings of me hammer something's wrong there.

kain124
Looking for group

Post by kain124 »

And for the record I didn't mean to steal the thread but dispeling divine abilities is just as silly as everyone here is making it seem.

Gornickthy
Spamalot

Post by Gornickthy »

I would like to report that at level 30 my darkness is still being dispelled by significantly lower CR creatures. Is this the way it is suppose to be? It is being dispelled WAY to easily in my opinion.
Power is not given. It is taken.
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]
Ya ya ya I know... stop whining, complaining, and learn to build better.

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

Mords dispels AoEs with no check if I recall... its always been like that. There's a few AoEs that are the exception (Blood Amniote for example).
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

Gornickthy
Spamalot

Post by Gornickthy »

It really is ridiculous. Creatures that I can kill with a mere thought are dispelling my darkness. Seriously... this is stupid on a severe level. The darkness was suppose to progress with character levels, but again the ability proves to be useless at best against the most minor of casters. At least take a look at it please. If I had known the ability was a complete waste of time I would have gone with an ecl 0 instead. :x
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

Ok there is a save actually, but its based on your dispel resistance... dispel resistance is:

11 + Caster Level DC. With the possibility of an extra +2 if you have the Arcane Defense: Abjuration feat. This is how it works with any AoEs that are dispellable... which they pretty much all for PCs except a few (Fear auras, Water Genasi, pure Paladin's radiance aura, etc.).

Now caster level DC is calculated as follows:

+1 caster level per Wiz/Sorc/Druid/Cleric/Bard level.
+1 per 2 levels of Ranger/Paladin/Pale Master/Assassin.

EDIT: NOTE: Ranger/Paladin/Assassin levels do not stack with Wiz/Sorc/Druid/Cleric/Bard levels. Pale Master levels do however... Also, only the highest of the "real" caster classes are considered... so a 35 sorc/5 bard would have a caster level of 35, not 40.

Examples:

-Pure 40 Wiz dispel DC: 11 + 40 = 51 (53 with Arcane Defense: Abjuration)
-30 Sorc/10 Paladin dispel DC: 11 + 30 = 41 (43 with Arcane Defense: Abjuration)
-30 Sorc/10 Pale Master dispel DC: 11 + 30 + 5 = 46 (48 with Arcane Defense: Abjuration)
-Pure 40 Ranger dispel DC: 11 + 20 = 31 (33 with Arcane Defense: Abjuration)

So in theory a level 40 pure rogue Tiefling would have a DC of 11 (easily dispelled) since they have no caster levels. A level 40 pure wizard Tiefling *should* have a much more powerful darkness which is difficult to dispel. I realize this is kind of screwy since its an innate racial spell ability and not tied to a class, but that's how are system works right now and without a messy hack its going to stay like that.

Until then, the darkness ability is still good if your enemy can't dispel it, and enjoy the Tiefling's energy resistance, +2 hide/ms, and +2 dex/int. Definitely worth the ECL 2.
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

SR counts when dispelling drow (or cleric buffed SR) darkness.
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Gornickthy
Spamalot

Post by Gornickthy »

Again that explains it and I thank you. Very dismal news indeed, but at least I know why even the most lowly of creatures with any type of dispel ability strips it from me. I was just frustrated and shocked when it was dispelled last night when I was running by creatures that I wouldn't even give a second thought to at my level. I guess it is good food for thought.
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

LinuxPup wrote:ense: Abjuration)
So in theory a level 40 pure rogue Tiefling would have a DC of 11 (easily dispelled) since they have no caster levels.
wow... lesser dispel (Bard 1, Cleric 2, Druid 2, Wizard/Sorcerer 3) ftw!

Korr
PKer

Post by Korr »

So since we were talking about dispelling, I was curious . . . is egen dispellable like that too? A pure fighter egen gets dispelled of their DR like nothing? What about Epic Mage Armor and Epic Warding, do they go off caster level or something different?
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

If the regen is applied as an itemproperty on a skin (I think it is), then its completely immune to all types of dispels.
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

Return to “Neversummer 4”