Noobie Distro

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
Kyle Ironbane
Noob

Post by Kyle Ironbane »

VagaStorm wrote:Ubuntu is wery nice if you need nothing more than what coms on the first disk, but ubuntu is to Open source, and will not include ANYTHUING not fully GPLed.

Where did you get the idea that it does not include anything that isn't fully GPL'd? All you have to do is enable the universe and multiverse repositories in the package manager. I've got plenty of software loaded on my Ubuntu and Kubuntu machines that weren't in the initial install.

VagaStorm wrote:OpenSuse was a revelation the first time I used it. It's not that its so much better than anything, but it is about as simple as Ubuntu to install, has more software if needed, and ading more is not wery hard. It is also wery stable, atleast if you dont install anything not beta(I ofcource dos that :p ) It is also posible to instal a package manager that can work with diffrent respitorys(deb, yast and yum atlest) Wich will give you access to almost evrything you need. Botom line is that unless the novel/MS deal totaly messes this up, wich I severly doubdt, I think it will stay the best distro both for beginners and more advanced users :p

OpenSuse lost me when I had to do a multi-step process every single time I upgraded the Nvidia drivers or the kernel. Ubuntu takes care of that for me without having to do anything beyond selecting the package upgrade. Otherwise, I liked the distro.
Kyle, Rhys, and Markus Ironbane of the Fists of the North
Zadar of the Silver Striders
Balin Stoutheart of the Dwarven Wall

Kyle Ironbane
Noob

Post by Kyle Ironbane »

Azerthoth wrote:Um, the only reason Ubuntu isnt shipping with the proprietary video drivers for the next release is that according to them Beryl isnt stable enough to be shipped as default. *buntu is rapidly moving in the direction of least likely to pay attention to FL/OSS unlike its parent Debian that is one of the most rabid followers.

As for nVidia in PCLinuxOS. All it takes to install is clicking one check mark. No command line, no repo's, no worries about maybe borking your xorg.conf. Trust me when I say that when I would hang out in Ubuntu's IRC channel to help out with tech support a good 60% of the issues were helping people get nVidia drivers working or fixing borked xorg.conf files.

Although 'echo "nvidia" >> /etc/modules' usually fixed things right up.

Any idea on what these people were doing to actually screw up their Nvidia driver installs? The simplicity of installing and upgrading the Nvidia drivers is one of the things that has me so high on Ubuntu as it is.
Kyle, Rhys, and Markus Ironbane of the Fists of the North
Zadar of the Silver Striders
Balin Stoutheart of the Dwarven Wall

Return to “General Linux Support”