FC5 Question.. ;)

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
Crymsyn
Pk Bait

FC5 Question.. ;)

Post by Crymsyn »

Heya TGPO, long time no see. :)

I'm trying to put a server together for a friend of mine as a game server. It's a Pent4 box, with 1 gig of memory, running Fedora Core 5 (the game he wants to run requires a Linux OS). I got through the installation without a hitch, and installed the Web Apache and VNC packages. After that, I attemped to set up a static IP through the tool provided with FC5, and it asked for a restart.. I restarted, and when it boots, it won't listen to the 'i' input for an Interactive Startup. It continues past that, though, as if you didn't input a command, but doesn't ask for an acct and password. It shows a blank Desktop, with a mouse cursor, that I cannot move.

Any help you have on the subject would be muchly appreciated. :)
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant;
"If I die, you are forgiven. If I live, I.. will.. kill you."
Such is the rule, of honor.

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Not a clue as of yet, I'll do a little research on it over the weekend. My first guess would be an init or conf problem.

Setting a static IP though isnt all that difficult overall, as long as you router is set to give that MAC the IP and you set your network interface up for that static IP instead of DHCP on boot up. That can be accomplished easily enough in command line using ifconfig. For that open 2 terminals, 1 will be for going root and changing the config, the other will be for running 'man ifconfig' which will give you all the command line options and switches.

You might also want to look at 'man apache' it might be covered in there.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Return to “General Linux Support”