Other places for news/support

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
TGPO
Dungeon Master

Other places for news/support

Post by TGPO »

This is an old-school thing so I expect many people arent aware of or use it much thanks to web based forums. However news groups contain a suprising amount of information, and its very easy to ask questions and get them answered.

Newgroups, unlike forums, require an additional piece of software that most OS's already ship with. In windoze Outlook Express handles them, in Linux Thunderbird or just about any other normal email client will. Filter for your disto debian, ubuntu, fedora, suse, xandros, ect ect ad naseum and you will usually see several groups dedicated to it. Pick the ones that you think will be relevant and subscribe. A word of caution, unless your really good at geek speak anything tagged with dev in its name will probably be outside of your personal language set.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

sldsmkd
Pk Bait

Re: Other places for news/support

Post by sldsmkd »

TGPO wrote:This is an old-school thing so I expect many people arent aware of or use it much thanks to web based forums. However news groups contain a suprising amount of information, and its very easy to ask questions and get them answered.

Newgroups, unlike forums, require an additional piece of software that most OS's already ship with. In windoze Outlook Express handles them, in Linux Thunderbird or just about any other normal email client will. Filter for your disto debian, ubuntu, fedora, suse, xandros, ect ect ad naseum and you will usually see several groups dedicated to it. Pick the ones that you think will be relevant and subscribe. A word of caution, unless your really good at geek speak anything tagged with dev in its name will probably be outside of your personal language set.

Or you can just read them on Google Groups.

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

I just ran across this site.

http://www.linuxreality.com

This is great stuff. Chess Griffin does a weekly/bi-weekly online radio show. This is some wonderfull stuff for new (or never used) and old linux users alike.

Everything from history, distributions, programs to use, how to use, etc.

I highly suggest this site.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Return to “General Linux Support”