Handy Stuff

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
TGPO
Dungeon Master

Handy Stuff

Post by TGPO »

List em here and what it does.

X-Chat
IRC Client. This is such a popular IRC client for linux that it has been ported to windoze as well. Silverex's port is probably the most used in windows. A must have if you use IRC in linux (and since your best help resources are in IRC you had best get a client of some sort.).

k3b
CD/DVD writing/copying. A good all around tool for burning your media.

Firefox
What? you live under a rock? Its THE webbrowser.

gkrellm
System monitor that can also have odds and ends like volume controls and such added to it. Not the one I use any longer, but I did for a long time.

Conky
Highly configurable system monitor with a really light footprint. This one needs some tinkering with its config file to make it truly yours.

oh and did I mention that those are all FREE?

Heres a screenshot of my desktop. What your seeing is Fluxbox environment, with transparent aterm (upper left) and conky (upper right).
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Kyle Ironbane
Noob

Post by Kyle Ironbane »

A couple more to add to the list

GAIM

Your multipurpose IM client. For those of you who use Trillian in Windows, it's the same concept. Except this one is a heck of a lot less prone to crashing.

Evolution

Think Microsoft Outlook without the virus vulnerabilities. Of course, if you don't need anything that involved, you can use Thunderbird.[/b]
Kyle, Rhys, and Markus Ironbane of the Fists of the North
Zadar of the Silver Striders
Balin Stoutheart of the Dwarven Wall

Return to “General Linux Support”