RH FC5

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
Kromix
Addict

RH FC5

Post by Kromix »

After fresh installing Fedora core 5, i managed to figure out the instalation and addition of my PCMCIA wireless card. after a pot o coffe and some headbashing, but it was simple at the end :D

sooo now i'm here running Yum, the updater and dowwnloading the updates...

Now, what are the first recomended things to do after this?
What AV i need if any... lol AVG AVir personal anything?
and what do i use to run NWN under it?
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

and MOST important!!!

how do i update my video drivers!!!!

nvidia Nforce4 420GO 32Mb for laptop
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

i got this far with my video card :(

Image Image

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Anti-Virus for linux ... none, you dont need to worry about them anymore. I know of people who have activly tried to infect linux with those pesky windows virii, to the point where they actually helped the virus in its attempt. Never worked, very funny.

Nvidia Driver install:
http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia

A huge hint for any linux user, new or old, google is your best friend.

For installing NWN in linux, good news it runs native so no emulators or anything. However you will need to download some stuff to get it work and follow the instructions CAREFULLY. It blew up in my face the first time I tried.

http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html

On a personal note, I see that you are running the Gnome Desktop Environment. There are other options, Gnome as far as I have found is THE most system resource hungry environment, followed closely by KDE. While there are too many different environments to list, the one I use when I want a small resource footprint is Fluxbox, its about half Gnomes footprint.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I need to get into linux, I hate GUI's... I miss my DOS :(
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Kyle Ironbane
Noob

Post by Kyle Ironbane »

JesterOI wrote:I need to get into linux, I hate GUI's... I miss my DOS :(

You may not want to hear it, but my first suggestion would be to ditch Fedora and install Ubuntu.

Once you enable the additional repositories, you'll be able to install your Nvidia drivers as well as a kernel that is better suited to your hardware. I'm currently running under Ubuntu 6.06 (otherwise known as Dapper Drake). I've used quite a few different distos. Believe me, this one lives up to the hype.
Kyle, Rhys, and Markus Ironbane of the Fists of the North
Zadar of the Silver Striders
Balin Stoutheart of the Dwarven Wall

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Honestly its easier to get the nvidia drivers into FC5 than it is to do it in any debian based distro so far. Ubuntu Edgy holds some promise though, unfortunatly I had a bad download and made a coaster out of my last blank CD so I cant elaborate further on it. When I looked through the cd payload for it though I spotted the non-free nvidia drivers.

I'm with you in that Ubuntu is THE most noob friendly distro that I have run across, personally though I stick with Debian for my preferance. I do recommend Ubuntu to anyone who asks, and personally you have to pay me to work with FC or RH.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

ive been trying to instal plugins in firefox... now for the noob Q... Where is the default location of the firefox folder... i cant find it and searches yield no resuts... plus i tryed accessing the root folder throug the file explorer, but it rsayd i have no access to it... :(
Image Image

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

Kromix wrote:ive been trying to instal plugins in firefox... now for the noob Q... Where is the default location of the firefox folder... i cant find it and searches yield no resuts... plus i tryed accessing the root folder throug the file explorer, but it rsayd i have no access to it... :(

Mine looked like /home/<username>/.mozilla for configuration

shield
Developer

Post by shield »

Best thing todo to find out were packages are installed, it to use the packagment toolset. Now this probaly different with the different distros (for the record, i use SUSE).

So open a command prompt. Typing "which firefox" will show you were the excutable is located.

If you want to find out which software package it belongs to and the above test return something like "/usr/bin/firefox", the type "rpm -f /usr/bin/firefox". That will return a package name.

Now you can list all the files in that package with the command

rpm -ql <packageName>

Just replace <packageName> with the actual name return by rpm -f. This should give a good idea where it's all installed.

However when installing firefox plugins I usally install the in the .mozilla/firefox direcotry in my home directory.

You will have full access to everything in your home direcotry. I find that firefox installs plugins their automaticly.
Kord - The Brawler

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

well i left my lappy at home... but trying to install macromedia. it told me to copy 2 files to the plugin folder on the firefox folder, :) now i might be able to find it LOL but i spent like 3 hours yesterday browsing arround a nothing :( lol i'll give it a swirl tonight :)
Image Image

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

i got the Nvidia drivers running right... i hope...

and found out thatmacromedia is not really there for linux.... :(

macro 7 instead of 9 :(
Image Image

shield
Developer

Post by shield »

Might want to take a look at crossover office. http://www.codeweavers.com/

This allows the running of some windows applications under linux. I've used this when I need things like flash playback from within browsers. It's comerical , but is quite handy from time to time.
Kord - The Brawler

Kyle Ironbane
Noob

Post by Kyle Ironbane »

TGPO wrote:Honestly its easier to get the nvidia drivers into FC5 than it is to do it in any debian based distro so far. Ubuntu Edgy holds some promise though, unfortunatly I had a bad download and made a coaster out of my last blank CD so I cant elaborate further on it. When I looked through the cd payload for it though I spotted the non-free nvidia drivers.

I'm with you in that Ubuntu is THE most noob friendly distro that I have run across, personally though I stick with Debian for my preferance. I do recommend Ubuntu to anyone who asks, and personally you have to pay me to work with FC or RH.

Installing nvidia drivers under Dapper was a piece of cake. No need to wait for Edgy. Actually, I may wait a long while even after Edgy is released to upgrade. Tried XGL under Dapper and it killed NWN performance. Unless there are massive performance improvements to it under Edgy, I'll stay with the stability of the Drake.

What I don't recall was whether the nvidia drivers were under the Universe or Multiverse repository. I've got pretty much all of them enabled.

Ubuntu restored my faith in Debian-based distros if not Debian itself. My one foray into Debian was a disaster. Mind you, my first distro was Slackware so I was certainly no noob.

I don't know what was worse, the pathetically organized documentation, the nonsensical install path to get a fully working desktop, or the smug superiority complex that seemed to emanate from the userbase.
Kyle, Rhys, and Markus Ironbane of the Fists of the North
Zadar of the Silver Striders
Balin Stoutheart of the Dwarven Wall

Return to “General Linux Support”