Linux Support

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
TGPO
Dungeon Master

Linux Support

Post by TGPO »

In the true nature of open source, this is for the community and by the community. Regardless of experiance if you have questions or need help with linux, here is the place.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

I LOVE YOU!!!!

i just got Linux on my lappy and learning...
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

how do i undo a linux partition when i installed it? i split my hdd in 1/2. 1 part windows the other linux...now i don't use the linux and i can't unlock the other half for windows...
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

windows should see it as either an unknown or unformated partition. If your using XP right click my computer, select manage, then disk management. you'll see the partition, format it and poof it should be returned for your use.

Repairing your MBR (gettting rid of dual boot menu) is trickier. You have to use your XP disk skip the first time it offers to get you into the repair console and accept the second time it offers to. Then there is a dos utility that you will have access to that will rewrite your MBR as a single boot system.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Kyle Ironbane
Noob

Post by Kyle Ironbane »

Kromix wrote:I LOVE YOU!!!!

i just got Linux on my lappy and learning...

Welcome!

Using Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (Dapper Drake) here.
Kyle, Rhys, and Markus Ironbane of the Fists of the North
Zadar of the Silver Striders
Balin Stoutheart of the Dwarven Wall

Dynmi
Newbie Helper

Post by Dynmi »

Can't seem to get a proper partition for Ubuntu, if anyone can help with thia it would be grand.
The Silver Striders

Mr. O'Dearly
Developer

Post by Mr. O'Dearly »

What have you done so far?

Dynmi
Newbie Helper

Post by Dynmi »

Lets see, I've killed my windows partition so now I have one big one for OS x 120 gigs or so, and then I load up the live cd, theres an install linux shortcut so I click that one and go through a few steps then when I get to the partitioner I try to make a new partition for Linux then it asked for things like /swap , /home /boot

From there I get confused and quit to find out I gotta reinstall OS X, so I do.
The Silver Striders

Mr. O'Dearly
Developer

Post by Mr. O'Dearly »

It's been a while since I did this but it should go roughly along the lines of this:

Get to the screen that asks you to make partitions.
There should be a graphical display of your hard disk near the top of the screen.

There are different ways you can partition your disk.

I believe you typically make a "/", "/home", and a "/swap" partition.
The swap isn't entirely necessary for all hardware. It's basically used so that your computer can pretend it has more ram than it really does. If you've got lots of ram, swap won't do much. I've got 1 gig ram and my swap never gets used. :?

Your "/" partition holds the important stuff that make your computer go.
It's also where (at least for me) stuff gets downloaded to. (/tmp is there)
I think the setup I used advised me to put 2-3 gigs into "/". Now that I've had some experience I'd say you're going to want more than that. If I were to repartition, I'd put at least 7-8 gigs into "/".

Your /home partition is where all your personal stuff goes and is generally the biggest.

I believe you CAN setup everything on just a / partition but it's not advised because having multiple partitions can help you recover if something goes wrong with one of them.

It should also give options on how to format each partition. I don't know much about most of them. I chose ext3 (i think :P) and that worked out fine for me.

So, select your partitions, sizes, and format and that should be mostly all for that step.

Note that you shouldn't necessarily have to uninstall your other OS. If you leave your other OS on, you can choose to create your linux partition in unused space on your hard disk.

Don't give up! It probably took me at least 3 or 4 attempts to make sense of everything, and even then I re-formatted and re-installed a couple times as I found out more stuff and changed my mind.

If anyone sees anything I missed or said wrong, feel free to add!

Dynmi
Newbie Helper

Post by Dynmi »

Done, installed and all... However I'm getting a really bad frame rate when ever I drag windows around. Any ideas?
The Silver Striders

$chase$
Dearly Departed

Post by $chase$ »

i had to install "SDL"
Auril - God Of Trickery
good thing im the DM then.............................lol

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Video drivers. They tend not to include proprietary stuff in the install disks (nVidia and ATI later drivers).
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Dynmi
Newbie Helper

Post by Dynmi »

Hmm, if anyone could provide any links at all it would be great I'm new at all this, I know for a fact that this is my card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600
The Silver Striders

Dynmi
Newbie Helper

Post by Dynmi »

Alright, I found linux drivers to my card, do I want linux x86 or linux x86_64 ?

I get this error upon trying to install drivers:

Could not open the file /home/zero/Desktop/ati-d…ler-8.34.8-x86.x86_64.run.

gedit has not been able to detect the character coding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character coding from the menu and try again.
The Silver Striders

Dynmi
Newbie Helper

Post by Dynmi »

Alright, the problem was I was opening the drivers in a text edit program... Now thats settled, the graphics all run really smooth.

Now all I need is the wireless internet to work. (and NWN)
The Silver Striders

Return to “General Linux Support”