Choices!

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
Daltian
Relic Raider

Choices!

Post by Daltian »

I have been away from nwn for a while but now that I am back I was thinking of installing Linux again to play nwn on it. I used Ubuntu with nwn before but I wasn't totally satisfied with it. Load times didn't appear to be faster then win7 (beta at the time) but I am sure that is because I didn't configure it as well as I could.
My hardware changed in the mean time too, I went from nVidia GPU to AMD one (6970) so that is also a factor since I don't know Linux distros well enough to know which would work well and be easy to configure with that gfx card.
Also, I would like to have TRIM support since I am using SSD.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

edit: P.S. Rest of my hardware is quite common, C4Q processor and ASUS MB with Intel chipset(good old P4B deluxe).
xXenox

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Re: Choices!

Post by Lokey »

Running native is better. Wine emulation isn't bad considering (and surprisingly less crash prone), I run since I need the toolset sometimes.

Depends on the intel for whether just work or major project...but common so should be ok. Distro selection is generally a matter of taste, though I wish mint 13 were as nice out of box as 12 :)

I think there's some things ubuntu does well, some things not, and I'm not a fan of Unity. Think deth likes current kubuntu.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Daltian
Relic Raider

Post by Daltian »

I will definitely use native nwn. I am going to try Mint13. Thanks for advice.
xXenox

dethonlegs
Looking for group

Post by dethonlegs »

I run both wine and native clients and prefer wine:

* easier to patch the exe for camera hacks, etc
* Alt - enter just works
* frame rate of an equivalent - maybe slightly faster in wine
* Straight copy from your existing windows install - no Linux patches required

Daltian
Relic Raider

Post by Daltian »

Does it still crash on hellball in wine? I was hoping it wouldn't crash on hellball natively since it's the only type of crash that happens to me consistently.
xXenox

dethonlegs
Looking for group

Post by dethonlegs »

Daltian wrote:Does it still crash on hellball in wine?
Yes, but crashes in general happen way less in wine compared to windows. The Linux native version still crashes randomly , hellball or otherwise.

You can run both wine and native on the same box to dual, so its easy to set up both and see which ones works for you.

Also, utils like btnx are essential for binding KD, disarm, hips, etc to mouse buttons. If you need help how to do this let me know. Distro's like Kubuntu have these more obscure apps pre-packaged, making setup pretty quick.

Daltian
Relic Raider

Post by Daltian »

Thanks for your help. I'll try both and see how it goes.
xXenox

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

dethonlegs wrote: * Alt - enter just works
Yeah, that's a good point, but if there's any interest, I'll share my patched sdl which enables ctrl+enter (can't remember why this and not alt+enter), for switching windowed and fullscreen.
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

So I made the jump first? Perf is still good.

Crystal icon theme, oxygen plasma theme. Need to find a prettier clock. Could be better defaults (oh god Amarok), but we got it tarted up.

Oh yah, install nwn and svn :( Maybe tomorrow. Oh, and override website fonts because people make horrible choices :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Lokey wrote: Oh, and override website fonts because people make horrible choices :)
I'm getting a sans serif typeface on the front page - don't think I've overridden anything.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Opie Crimeria
Noob

Post by Opie Crimeria »

I am toying with the same idea. I got an old XP box that I plan to do something constructive and hopefully learn with.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Lin's pretty good about older stuff, but what's the hardware so can suggest something? (If it's pre-x86, that'll limit options a lot, but can still dig up something that looks good and runs well, for example, nVid has dropped a lot of legacy stuff.)

The dxdiag report will spit all that out if you don't want to dig.

Return to “General Linux Support”