Black Screen at 2nd selection window

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Black Screen at 2nd selection window

Post by Nyeleni »

After having some trouble getting my nvidia GT 540M working on ubuntu I finally upgraded ubuntu to 12.04 and installed bumblebee. Now I seem to be able to use both graphic cards installed on the ASUS K53S Notebook.

After installing NWN again, it almost does run. It is patched to 1.69. And I can configure and get past the movies, but on the selection menu I just get a black screen.

On Wine I use winxp for NWN (set to 800x600 and configured to the bare minimum). With the same resolution - I tried it with a higher resolution first. But alas no luck.

Anyone has some advice? (Looked already on the internet but had no luck finding a solution.)
Thanks
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

VagaStorm
Developer

Re: Black Screen at 2nd selection window

Post by VagaStorm »

Nyeleni wrote:After having some trouble getting my nvidia GT 540M working on ubuntu I finally upgraded ubuntu to 12.04 and installed bumblebee. Now I seem to be able to use both graphic cards installed on the ASUS K53S Notebook.

After installing NWN again, it almost does run. It is patched to 1.69. And I can configure and get past the movies, but on the selection menu I just get a black screen.

On Wine I use winxp for NWN (set to 800x600 and configured to the bare minimum). With the same resolution - I tried it with a higher resolution first. But alas no luck.

Anyone has some advice? (Looked already on the internet but had no luck finding a solution.)
Thanks
I would recoment using the linux binary distribution. It is way simpler to deal with than wine(simpeler, not simple).
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Come again? Please see me as a toddler when confronted with linux problems. I'm glad ubuntu is rather user friendly. Although I will try Mint12 soon too.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

PS. Well, without doing anything - other than installing Mint 12 on another partition (which enabled the nvidia card before updating, and after that I don't even have a graphics card installed apparently) - I got a bit further in: I got to chose a character and saw the first glimpse of an area. Then it freezes and I have to restart ubuntu.
I have to try other tweaks, but I'm really close now. Any advise still sorely needed though. :)

dethonlegs
Looking for group

Post by dethonlegs »

I have both wine and native versions running on Kubuntu 12 - 64 AMD. I prefer using the wine version as:

* The various haks, ie camera, etc are easier to find/apply
* Alt tab works out of the box and is really convenient
* Both versions run at the same high frame rate
* Camera turn on mouse at edge of screen works out of the box in fullscreen.

I dont have anything in particular set in winecfg. You will need later NVIDIA drivers to fix the framerate issue. Also, to get 1080p I have the following in xorg.conf (it's all I have set there):

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

The "DynamicTwinView" option is the one you really need. I also use BTNX to bind multiple key combos to a mouse button. Awesome for HIPS, KD, Disarm, etc.

PM me if you need anything specific

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Multiple vid card lappy...isn't one of those switch between main card when 3d needed and smaller card when not deals? Those have horrors for all OS, but on lin you're pretty screwed. I think you can say die battery die and just use the main one.

Otherwise, nwn has been running fine out of box on Wine for ages with default settings (I just tried it on mint a while back, and that's what chase uses).

It's not 2006 anymore, generally you shouldn't have to even know xorg.conf exists anymore :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

$chase$
Dearly Departed

Post by $chase$ »

i use playonlinux wich is a spin off of wine. works great for me
Auril - God Of Trickery
good thing im the DM then.............................lol

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Yeah, I tried playonlinux, but it doesn't work either. Unfortunately the double grafics card does mess quite some stuff up.

At least I got fallout2 running with playonlinux :).

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Alright, certainly is a hybrid video card. This is bad on linux, amd nor nvidia have released working drivers on it at all.

There's mixed success with the open source drivers but it's all technical headaches with no guarantee of success. Else-wise, mint's a great OS that does most things well, some things brilliantly, but that hardware's a deal-killer.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Well, I got optirun installed under bumblebee, but that didn't help much either. I just crash when I want to enter a new game or a permanent world. Too bad.

It isn't the sound either, as I turned that off in config.

Unfortunately the debugger doesn't tell me much either. I'm going to try nwn2 sometimes. Have fun everybody :).

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Well, I got a debug file to check, if somebody feels confident enough to give it a try. Just send me a pm or answer here. And I will send you a pm.

Funny enough the nvidia-settings is only executable if you run it with optirun and then it even doesn't have my resolution, although its close enough (mine 1366x768, nvidia-settings offers 1360x768).

Don't think that is the issue though.

At least glxgears does run faster :).

P.S. Nevermind, I tried it with another game and it stated that the graphic card isn't up to the task. Obviously optirun doesn't start the nvidia card sometimes. I really wish there was a way through BIOS to disable the Intel card. But ASUS wasn't smart enough to provide that like other companies.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

It's just the way things are until specs are released or figured out. Hardware still matters on lin (though it's much better these days, tons of things work out of box fine).

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Yes, if it weren't for that dual graphics card problem I wouldn't have reinstalled win7 again. Ubuntu with cobra theme is so much better than windows. And you can run a lot nowadays.
Besides its faster and far more simple than anything Ive seen till today. Well maybe everything but the Commodre Amiga system. That one was very straight forward too.

Although I hear you could make cobra run on windows7. I have to give it a try.

Return to “General Linux Support”