That time of year again, again

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

That time of year again, again

Post by Lokey »

Still plotzing away on pclinux, but getting a bit peeved at mistakes creeping into 32bit releases while they're busy working on the 64bit. So on to shopping around:

- Mint 12, I'll check that out. Maybe Mint rolling Debian as well. (I like using mint as a live environment for fixing broken win installs anyway--well really hate that part.)
- SUSE. Scary gecko aside there's still maybe one or two things I don't like, otherwise seems great.
- Mageira seems good, though since fairly new is light on packages--I guess I'll check it out.
- Yah, new FC, buntu, etc...
- Oh yeah, Sabayon. Nice perf, but too much kitchen sink and seems a pain to maintain as well as the sharp bits.
- TGPO says to check out archbang.

Anything I'm missing on my list of things to check out? No really horrible for linux hardware here (alright, mobo can be cranky, stupid nForce4.5), don't need tons of things that won't be in any linux. Would be nice to have wine and gcc/gpp/flex kept fairly up to date, and have at least one well done wm/dm, KDE for preference.

Should I bother with 64bit (2GB ram)? If I really need to compile something 32b, I can just use the game server after all :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

VagaStorm
Developer

Re: That time of year again, again

Post by VagaStorm »

Ubuntu has really changed. You can install kde or gnome on it, but the default is unity shell, which seem more targeted towards lighter laptops and pads. OpenSuse just released a new annual version, 12.1, which I just installed. It seems great but I havent tested evrything in it yet.
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Mint 12:
- Nice installer (they always have good hardware detection + drivers + nice touches)
- Pretty good performance
- KDE a bit flaky (64 bit)
- Nicest gnome 3 there is (that isn't saying much)
- Pure Mate is ok (their overlay of gnome 3)
- Still using synaptic, but separate updater app in addition (that is nice, I suggest level 2 updates).

If KDE ran better, I guess I could put up with the few minor gripes I have. Still shopping, SUSE next, though I'll use the live disk for fixing win computers for my so called friends.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

The latest suse was a letdown :( gnome 3 was awful, and thers nothing new and nice in kde, execpt maybe some stability, so I've been running mint 12 for a while, and it is awesome. I realy like the gnome overlay, it makes gnome 3 better than 2 used to be. Not as customizable as kde 4, but it's realy fast, and evrything works out of the box. No need to run serching for codecs and stuff. A little digging to get nwn up running, bu not that much.
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Mint, full gnome, default silver atrocity:

Default KDE:

It's buntu kde 4 but with some weird settings that'd take a bit of tracking down--and it's full default KDE that makes a few questionable app choices. Along with gnome is the mate WM that's didn't seem horrible but I only logged in to it a little bit.

Both boot in about 2 seconds on my ancient hardware, so that's not bad :) There's certainly tons to like about mint, but out of box I think I can do better, especially on KDE.

Forgot to mention this is the 64bit edition, and I hadn't used 64bit KDE yet. Might be upstream problems.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Chase and I tried to dig up a PCLin64 beta, one we found wouldn't boot. So on to scary gecko 64 bit KDE:

Seems nice, chase is having rage issues and I haven't installed yet. Off the top of my head:
- More yucky kde things to replace (though I like lots of default kde apps)
- No codecs, very floss
- Otherwise pretty good, YaST was snappier than Synaptic.
- Oh yeah, all hardware out of box. So all the major lin beat win on that so far by miles lol.

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

There is an up and comer that I am keeping my eye on as well. Lemur Linux is getting a rebase to Arch with some new user tools as well. Look for a public/testing release in the near future.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

$chase$
Dearly Departed

Post by $chase$ »

TGPO wrote:There is an up and comer that I am keeping my eye on as well. Lemur Linux is getting a rebase to Arch with some new user tools as well. Look for a public/testing release in the near future.
TGPO tree hugging hippes need not apply

im running LINUXMINT. been for awhile now. im real real happy with it. it comes with a program PLAYONLINUX. and almost all the prgrams i love about windows runs on this program. that is games and regular windows programs.
MINTlets you know when there is updates and they go threw smooth.
im running a program caLLed USHARE lets me use the XBOX360 as a media center just like windows did. i can give pointers if needed on setting it up. so far no complaints

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Auril - God Of Trickery
good thing im the DM then.............................lol

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

That chat window makes me nervous...
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

$chase$
Dearly Departed

Post by $chase$ »

no 64bit :(
Auril - God Of Trickery

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

64 bit mirrors are listed on the bottom of this post :) http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1927
Best Regards
VagaStorm

$chase$
Dearly Departed

Post by $chase$ »

workin on the set up ...wasnt paying attention so i have alot to set up..looks great so far
Auril - God Of Trickery

Return to “General Linux Support”