That time of year again

For both game and non game related issues in using or running Linux.
Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

That time of year again

Post by Lokey »

New PCLinuxOS, Mint, Mandriva, Ubuntu, etc...get downloading :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Re: That time of year again

Post by Amoenotep »

what kind of desktop setup is that?
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

One of the task switchers in kde4.

So PCLin2010: nice out of box, sound, wireless, whatnot all automatically setup. General use ready to roll (web, irc, media). Games...still working on sound in nwn (everything else seems ok). ldd nwmain says all dependencies found, no help there. That can stew for a little while.

My opinion: slow to load for use as a live environment. Stick with your favorite for that (I like mint 8 for that still). Don't know about ssd support or new-fangled stuff ;) KDE crystal theme is in repository and what I use above.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

dethonlegs
Looking for group

Post by dethonlegs »

Yep KDE4 is very nice. I use it under the latest kubuntu. Nice effects, nice usabilty. Would never go back to windows (unless I cant get DiabloIII to work under wine when it eventually comes out!)

Only issue i've had (and it's still ongoing) is after upgrading to KDE 4.4 i've got some weird flickering when I run NWN under wine in fullscreen. It didnt happen prior to upgrading and no other game does it. It's got something to do with the KDE window manager as it seems to be constantly alternating between the NWN screen and the desktop. I find that if I hold down the ALT key and right click on the NWN window it sets focus and stops flickering until I tab out to the desktop at which point I need to repeat the exercise when changing back to NWN. A real PITA that will hopefully get resolved when kubuntu 10.04 is released at the end of the month.

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

PCLOS is sweet ;)
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

alena
Pk Bait

Post by alena »

That is a nice desktop & what looks to be a GIANT monitor. My 20" looks puny.
Hail the Dead

Sun

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

I'm having a go at Ubuntu and gnome after years of runing OpenSuse and KDE.
I'm almost sure that putting export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa in your nwn will fix the sound isues in nwn, but I'm not 100% sure since I have all these in my nwn, which I've used at some time.

Code: Select all

#export AUDIODEV=/dev/dsp
#export SDL_DSP_NOSELECT=1
#export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=aoss
#dsp aoss
#export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa

If I remember correctly export AUDIODEV=/dev/dsp will work to, but then only nwn will be able to output sound, and only one of the instances if you run multiple.

All my entries are marked out since sound worked out of the box on my latest ubuntu install.

Is standard SDL able to switch from full screen to windowed now? If not I can post mine which is slightly changed to map ctrl+enter to switching full <-> windowed.
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Carejo
Looking for group

Post by Carejo »

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

Carejo wrote:Image
LMAO! But I se no wimax antena on that suit!
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

S' kip
Noob

Post by S' kip »

king kong kitchie kitchie ki-me-o

Return to “General Linux Support”