Suggestion for improving weapon progression

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
TastyTreat
Looking for group

Suggestion for improving weapon progression

Post by TastyTreat »

The dmg progression for weapons could be slightly improved by simply upping the minimum dmg on them a little more (even reducing the max dmg to compensate would make sence). From the weapons that I have seen so far, it is mostly the maximum possible dmg that is being increased and this helps only so much. For example: instead of having 1d8 dmg make it 2d4. Making sure that the minimum dmg of weapons increases with the maximum damage would go a long way with helping balance weapons out. This also applies to arrows, especially since ranged weapons tend to have a horrible crit range.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I agree, and extra 1d4 damage for each level of weapons would be nicer, and would help reduce the disparity between the damage weapon uses do and spell casters.
and extra 1d4 every 4 levels doesn't sound too strong to me.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

i've been arguing this for a while...did lots of math on it. but people don't seem to take on this idea. Small damage increases would make EVERYONE happier...except maybe Gil-Este (You punk, I love ya :D)
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

Agent Shiny
Looking for group

Post by Agent Shiny »

remove ILR. simple enuf.
~Oblivion~

AuTEC
Dungeon Master

Post by AuTEC »

well, think about expected value of weapon damage, not min/max...

Expected value on 1d4 is 2.5

Expected value on 1d6 is 3.5

Expected value on 1d8 is 4.5

Expected value on 1d10 is 5.5

Expected value on 2d6 is 7

Its a fairly linear progression and is complementary to the progression of armor/shield and HP values.

-AuTEC

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

+1 damage / 4 levels just isn't that exciting.
"Hey n00b! I'm 8 levels higher than you so I do on avg 2 (4 with strength gloves and 2 points into str) more damage than you!!! HA HA!!!"
Just doesn't seem that impressive when mages get a d6 for each level up to their cap (if there is one on that spell).
Would an extra d4 every 4 level really be THAT overpowered?
The effectiveness of armor increases more at each interval than the effectiveness of weapons, let bring the weapons up to speed.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

Quick question for y'all. Is this based on experience in the mod or is it greed? No PC has resists and immunities to all three physicals. You can get resists and immunities to two each, but that's it (NPCs sometimes have resists to all three, but those are high level mobs like dragons). Use the right weapon and you do plenty of damage to take down a Player/Mob.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Kelin
Pk Bait

Post by Kelin »

DrakhanValane wrote:Quick question for y'all. Is this based on experience in the mod or is it greed? No PC has resists and immunities to all three physicals. You can get resists and immunities to two each, but that's it (NPCs sometimes have resists to all three, but those are high level mobs like dragons). Use the right weapon and you do plenty of damage to take down a Player/Mob.

If you can use shield you can simply change it and get all the immunity/resistance you need as easily as the fighter can switch weapon
Aran the Red, fighter of Tempus
Elite disciple of Ancient Ones

A Paladin's heart in a Bard soul

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

That's when you have your mage friend cast finger of death on him.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Kelin
Pk Bait

Post by Kelin »

DrakhanValane wrote:That's when you have your mage friend cast finger of death on him.

Still finger of death doesn't help with weapon damage progression. And if the only way you have to damage something is summoning a mage friend, playing a tank becames kinda pointless, don't you think?
Aran the Red, fighter of Tempus
Elite disciple of Ancient Ones

A Paladin's heart in a Bard soul

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I just think that weapons for the non-caster levels are a little under-powered compared to damage potential of the caster classes.

I'm not saying make them equal, I'm just saying bump the weapons up a bit to help with the disparity.
1 avg extra damage every 4 levels just seems like beig kicked while down.

I'm not making any arguments on resistances, I think those are fine the way they are.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

TastyTreat
Looking for group

Post by TastyTreat »

Well how about this as a suggested damage progression:

1d4
1d6
2d4
2d4+1
3d4

A linear progression does not make sence when both the hp and the resistances of of players/mobs go up as levels increase.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

You forgot to add at what levels those damages are available.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

TastyTreat
Looking for group

Post by TastyTreat »

Same levels as they are currently, just suggesting to tweak the dmg.

Lothy
Pk Bait

Post by Lothy »

dont forget that you can make a +1d6 slash +1d6 bulgeon weapon, which will total to +2d6 physical damage, since the bonuses stack into one type of damage. using different damage types you can make up almost infinite number of damage combinations (ranging from +1 to +60)

damage resistance to a weapon depends on weapon type only

example 1: rapier +1d6 pierce +1d6 slash will do 3d6 piercing damage only, slash resistance will not block anything vs rapiers.

example 2: longsword +1d6 bulgeoning will do 2-14 damage, slashing or piercing resistane will work against it, but bulgeoning wont.

examples above are based on my observations, i havent done actual testings so its possible im wrong.

--

there is a difference between 2d6 and 2-12.

2d6 will result in more 5,6,7,8,9 the numbers rolled, but 2-12 will have same possibility of anything between 2 and 12. this doesnt really matter if you consider average damage (in this case its 7.0)

--

roughly speaking 19-20x3 critical on a bow results in 10% chance scoring +200% damage on hit. in total this will increase weapon damage by only 20%

weapon master with scythe 16-20x5 critical will score +400% damage on 20% of the hits, thus weapon efficiency due to criticals is +80%

weapon master with rapier 10-20x3 critical will score +200% damage on 55% of all hits. weapon efficiency is +110%

yeah, regreatably, bows suck. altho AA will have innate bonus enchancements on arrows, so it might make life better for ranged attackers.

--
Hey! I'm RPGer

Roleplaying Power Gamer.

Check out my new Tow Missile!

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”