Quest Ideas from the community

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
cely
PKer

Post by cely »

This is more of a request for a story arc rather than a one off quest idea. As a Ragnar's Kin player, I would like to know more about the Pech. The NS4 change log is the only mention of them:

"an ancient Earth dwelling race friendly to the dwarves"

Exactly how ancient are they? Do they predate the denizens of the Last Alliance? Why are they friendly to the dwarves of Ragnar's Kin? Why did they build the Pech tunnels? Do they associate with the recently arrived Earth Genasi? Did they have something to do with the extinction of the Jungle Dwarves?

Possible venues include:
Archaelogist Camp (Possible tie-in w/ Jungle Dwarves)
Underground Lake by the Well (did they put that well there? It seems so out of place)
Formian Areas
Mezzoloth Areas
Giant Mountain Caves
Clan Ordean Caves
Elemental Plain of Earth
cely
NS4 Server Admin
NS5 Developer (retired)

Charles I
Looking for group

Post by Charles I »

Scavenger hunt, similar to the ones the Chase does. List of 6 to 7 items not released until the time of event. Items should be ones that normally drop in the areas to be used, eliminates special prep. People have a designated start and finish point. Range of 4 to 5 levels. Example: for lvl 5-8, black hills area. Start at silver road Avendell, finish at Black Hills Inn. Possible items: boot heel, keyring, greataxe, bow, arrows, silk bandages. Event could have a time limit, 30 min to 1 hr, depending on level/areas. Naturally, people would want to eliminate competition and ninja looting should be allowed. Dead characters are allowed to respawn and get back in. The delay from this will be adequate penalty. Other level groups. Level 8-12, dark forest, ogre pass, 1st mtn trail. Level 13-16, mtn trail up to giant mtn. First one to get to finish with all required items wins. Prize could be an item usuable by the winning character at next ILR. Inventory checks may be neccessary at start of event to prevent unintentional headstarts. Only prep needed is confidential list of items. Just need to announce date/time, location and level range.
Adapt or die.

Daltian
Relic Raider

Re: Quest Ideas from the community

Post by Daltian »

Maybe a quest where you need to collect a non droppable item from boss of every planar zone in order to get a nice weapon of your choice. Would at least alow every type of weapon to be a viable option.
xXenox

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

I like Daltian's idea a lot.
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

like ns3.5? ;)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

Amoenotep wrote:like ns3.5? ;)
woohoo!! Lets give each weapon 2d8 or so (with no regard for crit range or multiplier, dex or str based), of all the possible damage types except split magic, negative and divine up one for 3 types, say red, blue and white...

A round of tritons for ALL!

-

I still like the idea of a special 1-use elemental item that drops from the boss of each plane, that you can infuse(enchant) that element as damage or dr - to a weapon or armor thru crafting (or npc) possibly using the dwarven forge for this EPIC crafting.

Could just make it follow a certain pattern for damage/dr based on the level requirement of the (crafted or generic? gear) OR if you hate players, you could be nasty and make the crafter roll for it (1d20 = 1=epic fail (element and item are destroyed!), 2-3= 1d4, 4-5=1d6, 5-6=1d8, 7-8=1d10, 9-10=2d4, 11-12=2d6, 14-16=2d8, 17-18=2d10 and 19-20=2d12)

Enchanted items would of course not be able to hold more than 1 enchantment (unlike the OC), possibly it could be scripted that you could 'try again' on the same item to make it better.
ImageImage

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

Daltian wrote:Maybe a quest where you need to collect a non droppable item from boss of every planar zone in order to get a nice weapon of your choice. Would at least alow every type of weapon to be a viable option.
This sounds like a great idea, but don't make em like the triton weps, just somewhere around the existing lvl 30 or 35 weps that exist, just that you can get it for any wep, then ppl can choose more freely what wep they whant, and not use the one where a good lvl 30, 35 or 40 version exist.....
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Rainswept
Newbie Helper

Post by Rainswept »

Daltian wrote:Maybe a quest where you need to collect a non droppable item from boss of every planar zone in order to get a nice weapon of your choice. Would at least alow every type of weapon to be a viable option.
I love this idea. It could be taken further also (Kill every dragon-boss in the game, get a use/day token that makes your current weapon +9 v/s dragons-every planar boss, one that's +9 v/s Outsiders)

A great way to get players into those new areas more often.

Here's mine: All the great tokens/abilities players get for being "Pure" or going 30 levels in a prestige class are neat, but I think it'd be cool to make them complete some high-level quests, instead of just walking into a church for the token.

Some ideas for high level quests might include:

Fighting a high-level monster alone and unaided (read:buffed)

Protecting a low-level NPC as it travels somewhere dangerous (The NPC dies, you start the quest over)

Job-specific quests (You want an epic Shadowdancer token? Prove you can sneak past this boss, Want an assassin token? Let's see you death-attack x number of dwarves)

These type quests can add a little more diversity to jobs as well, providing class-based weapons/armor for instance. Some shield for 30DwD's that makes every monster in the area attack the DwD (instead of the party) for a time would rock. A staff that a 40Wiz can charge with a low-level spell and have it once a day from then on saving him a spell-slot. A quiver for AA's that never ends (Even if it only has non-magicl arrows). The key would be to make sure only those jobs got the items, not some 40bard with max UMD. This is also a great way to let players show off their toons with unique-looking gear.
Chernobyl_Glow wrote:the players in AO/RK are evil two headed trolls in real life who kick their dogs and speed through school zones
Shamedmonkey wrote:I can feel myself get stupider.

MLoki
Relic Raider

Post by MLoki »

I like the idea of adding another job tier for faction specific prestige classes. Perhaps only make these jobs available to characters that only have 10 or more levels in thier faction specific class.

ie...

AO - Red Dragon Disciple Job (assuming they get the rest of the jobs fixed first),
Seek out a specific item from one or more of the existing "friendly" dragons. Or defeat the Fire Boss for a special bonus to your fire breath damage.

TC - Shifter Job, Clear up the abominations that exist in HoD including the Lich King himself.

MA - Palemaster Job, Solve the riddle in HoK and defeat the bosses within.

RK - Dwarven Defender Job, Destroy the force behind Ragnars betrayal.

NC - Champion of Torm Job, Defeat the Shadow Lord and his minions in his own domain.

SL - Assassin Job, Destroy the Elder Brain that has infested portions of the underdark.

These are just some ideas to get things started. Perhaps if these were tiered jobs they would have to travel to multiple opposed planes to finish the "epic jobs". RK could start by defeating Ragnar and move up to more challenging areas like Demon Web Pits etc... I think this would force players to try other epic areas and diversify the factions even more since we would see more faction specific PRCs in play.
Amoenotep wrote:i want your toon to be useless :)

Dazrield
Pk Bait

Post by Dazrield »

I never saw the end of one of the quests on my last server.. but many of us were obsessed with completing it. The quest itself wasn't finished yet, but what was there was pretty neat. There were boss dragons spread out throughout the land, some very well hidden, some not as much. Each had a different colored gem in it's loot when it died.. that wasn't the complex part. The complex part was there were little shrines all over the land spread out, and each had a different light, almost seeming to correspond to the gems, also.. there were some other places that led us to believe they might be connected as well.

As I said.. no one ever completed it before the server was discontinued.. but we loved that quest.. probably due to the fact we never completed it more than anything.. :P I know the mystery would be ruined once one group did it.. wish there was a way to somehow randomize a few parts of quests so that it was always a bit different just to throw an iron in the metagamers spokes and keep it interesting for those that want a little more of the unknown.

Korr
PKer

Post by Korr »

goto HoK
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

Dazrield
Pk Bait

Post by Dazrield »

What's HoK?

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

House of Knowledge... a plane of puzzles and riddles. Technically there's only 3 puzzles/riddles (the orb one took forever to get "right").

When I made the puzzles I had replay value in mind. There's plenty of randomness involved so that even if you figure out *how* to solve something, there's still some steps or even difficulty involved. Ask people about the maze :) Maybe Lokey should put some archers in that map.
Lead NS4 developer

[ Brilhasti ap Tarj ]
[ ...Darkfalz... ]
[ Azchekelon ]

Azeel3
Pk Bait

Post by Azeel3 »

Here's an idea for you, open all the doors in an arae to be openable, behind one a horde of angry dwarfs controlled by a dm to attack the party behind the other lets say a plus 4 book or epic item worthy of the danger involved ? Who here doesn't like to open a door now and then hmmmm ? :lol:

The Sandman of PWnD

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

DM event prize could be to add a +1 or 5 elem reduction or or... to an existing item. Add a +1 to that boring old +3 ritualists helm. DMs would probably have to custom craft these, no-drop like guild tagged items.

Would be a highly desirable prize which should be very costly errr... risky. :wink:
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”