Quest Ideas from the community

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Æ
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Æ »

*bump*

I once had a D&D campaign where the epic quest, from level 1 to 30, was to forge "the god slayer", a sword that could strike down a god, and end an eternal "chess" game between two demi-gods who ruled the demi-plane in which the campaign took place, using it's inhabitants as pawns in an endless war. Anyway, what if there was a DM quest, at like level 40, where a party can go on a quest to bring down a god of an enemy faction? Perhaps the DM could make a lvl 40 player character with crazy equipment to log on with, or rather even better, an NPC well over level 40 (60? 80? for a whole party of 40's to fight }: ) to posess and actually control it for this epic duel. I'd imagine it would be fun for the DM's too and wouldn't really happen often... maybe they have to do some really long quest to collect some special items to forge a key or something to get to the DM/god/NPC and you only get one shot at it, if the party dies, they have to collect all the items again if they want to try again. }: )
{FotS} Ælæressai, Forsaken Avatar Of Ckær'evlon
14 Fighter/7 Weapon Master (Rapier)/1 Rogue [LA Outcast]

:[FotS]: Ælæressai, Forsaken Avatar Of Ckær'evlon
8 Rogue/1 Fighter/1 Shadowdancer [MA]

Mz_Shadow
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Mz_Shadow »

Any ideas like this is great to post. It does not mean we will use them.. but then again you never know.

Feel free to use this thread to post ideas of this nature.

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

It'd be fun to have a quest where you needed to collect dropped unique items from all the slain leaders of the opposing factions. Each faction has one piece of a device that the leader of the faction is entrusted to guard. One idea for the device (if it's possible) is a Rift Gate. Once assembled, the person who possesses it could use it to port to any rift location. Might only have a number of uses though, to keep it from being too powerful.

Shade

sep caldessian
Wheres the donation box?

Post by sep caldessian »

this is a more generic idea/question. im thinkin bout a nice long quest/story line and dont want to get into specific details that havent really been fleshed out yet.

is it possible to have a npc give a quest, and upon retrieval of the item, or completion of the task, have the original NPC move somewhere based on a random dice roll?

example:
a d12 is rolled and the npc is warped to one of 12 spots, leaving behind a clue/note as to where they went, or have an information gathering NPC offer to sell you (not necessarily correct) information on which direction they were headed, favorite hangouts, "i saw him walking with a shady character," or something to that effect.

something different than the fedex type quests or kill person y and bring me his x. maybe some riddles or puzzles that need solved based on clues and (again not necessarily correct) information given.

Æ
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Æ »

Thanks Mz }: )

Did you read the topic someone posted below about money sinks too? Some pretty good ideas developed in that thread too

sep caldessian
Wheres the donation box?

Post by sep caldessian »

sep caldessian wrote:this is a more generic idea/question. im thinkin bout a nice long quest/story line and dont want to get into specific details that havent really been fleshed out yet.

is it possible to have a npc give a quest, and upon retrieval of the item, or completion of the task, have the original NPC move somewhere based on a random dice roll?

example:
a d12 is rolled and the npc is warped to one of 12 spots, leaving behind a clue/note as to where they went, or have an information gathering NPC offer to sell you (not necessarily correct) information on which direction they were headed, favorite hangouts, "i saw him walking with a shady character," or something to that effect.

something different than the fedex type quests or kill person y and bring me his x. maybe some riddles or puzzles that need solved based on clues and (again not necessarily correct) information given.

also i would put in some character int and wis checks to reflect the character coming up with the solutions, not the player.

Æ
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Æ »

I used to use alot of riddles and puzzle-rooms when I would DM. The puzzles were my favorites, I'd have my players scratching their heads for a while. I had at least one in each gaming session. I always thought the problem solving aspect of D&D wasn't very well represented in computer games, probably because of the difficulty of the process, unique scripting and examinable descriptions. My two favorite standards on the weeks when I couldn't come up with any other kind of riddle or puzzle for them, were the old, keys-and-holes or floor-panels puzzles... and these two types seem to me the most NWN-friendly. For example, step on the panels in the right order to open the door to the next room, hit the wrong panel and it acts as a trap (I always made these with no save, but I'm an evil DM }: ), suffer a penalty, or release (spawn) some monsters, and have to start the puzzle again. Same with the keys, pick the right keyholes. I would usually accompany these with a riddle hinting at the right order. This also works with hit-the-switches, touch-the-walls, break-the-objects, kill-the-monsters, etc. in the right order. I use these as examples because I could see how they can be implemented using the NWN toolset.
Last edited by Æ on Mon May 10, 2004 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sep caldessian
Wheres the donation box?

Post by sep caldessian »

Æ wrote:I used to use alot of riddles and puzzle-rooms when I would DM. The puzzles were my favorites, I'd have my players scrathing their heads for a while. I had at least one in each gaming session. I always thought the problem solving aspect of D&D wasn't very well represented in computer games, probably because of the difficulty of the process, unique scripting and examinable descriptions. My two favorite standards on the weeks when I couldn't come up with any other kind of riddle or puzzle for them, were the old, keys-and-holes or floor-panels puzzles... and these two types seem to me the most NWN-friendly. For example, step on the panels in the right order to open the door to the next room, hit the wrong panel and it acts as a trap (I always made these with no save, but I'm an evil DM }: ), suffer a penalty, or release (spawn) some monsters, and have to start the puzzle again. Same with the keys, pick the right keyholes. I would usually accompany these with a riddle hinting at the right order. This also works with hit-the-switches, touch-the-walls, break-the-objects, kill-the-monsters, etc. in the right order. I use these as examples because I could see how they can be implemented using the NWN toolset.

perhaps we could collaborate.

johnthebest1234
Noob

Post by johnthebest1234 »

I'd like to see more mini bosses. Quests for lower level, and all levels of players to do. More mini bosses like the goblin king. It's much more fun when you play a game and have more to do than just level up.

Thanks
yea yea!

Souldin
Pk Bait

Post by Souldin »

yeah, i agree with you there john, that's what i loved about playing WoI. (NS Server)
-Once known as "Stealth"-

Souldin Reijn now adays

---

"Shutup and eat your cheese sandwitch."

---

Qui
Looking for group

Post by Qui »

Implement rogue specific quests.. with all the locked buildings around the realm being able to receive 'jobs' from like a theives guild where one had to break into a building and steal somethign without being killed.. or.. without some sort of alarm ebing sent up for the town gaurd to come.. would be great..
"If you are 20 and not yet a communist you lack heart, If you are 30 and you are still a communist you lack rationality" ~ dont remember.

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

how about mensa puzzles? *grins evilly* :twisted:
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

EvanFallen
Noob

Post by EvanFallen »

We definitely need more faction and class based quests. Simple jobs are a good starting point, but shouldn't be the basis for all the other quests. Class based quests need to be 'hidden' but so much that they couldn't be found by exploring various places in the player's faction HQ.
- Kebur de Vidald

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

Assassinating enemy leaders
Killing enemy players(having players spawn with an ear that drops only if pk'd would be cool)

Torching enemy buildings. Say you run over a town(excluding main town) of the enemy, and kill everyone in it. Then it'd be cool for the buildings to start on fire along with the items inside. Then, with this done, the person could return to town and get their quest reward.

Searching for lost people.

Rescuing a damsel locked in some tower(know of at least one tower so far)

Things like that would be fun imo.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

bongoblue
Newbie Helper

Post by bongoblue »

I used puzzles alot in my PnP campaign... then I realized that old movies were not the way to go.

Many may not have heard of:
Ali Baba and his Forty Thieves

or have a secret door open when one of the character spoke a phrase like 'Open Sesame !'

Finding puzzles solvable by more than just a few can be difficult.

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”