Shurikens; Useless?

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Kaz
Noob

Shurikens; Useless?

Post by Kaz »

Just noticing that using shurikens seems to be a bad choice in weapons. they do 1d3 damage initially, and don't have str modifier. If you get enchanced shurikens, you are still behind the people who use a sling. With a sling, you get the sling bonus, plus ammunition bonus.

Shurikens are supposed to be exotic weapons, perhaps we should imrove them a bit?

Denort
Looking for group

Post by Denort »

I played on a server ages ago that had shurikens modified to be 4x criticals. The scythe of thrown weapons. Unfortunately I think that is beyond the scope of a "no hak pack" server.
As things currently stand, all thrown weapons are a lost cause since buying them costs so much and if you go with thrown axes they weigh 50lb per stack. Try scaling giant mounting with a few hundred of those in your pack. ;)
One option would be to go the way of most pvp servers. They have thrown weapon kits which can be used to create a stack of the thrown weapon every X minutes. While not a very plausable solution IC, think of them as a single axe of returning like in BG1. You hurl it at something and it comes back to you.

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

I use shurikens mostly for pulling monsters, and the only real benefit I can see compared to a sling is that shuirkens have no weight. Other than that, the sling beats them hands down.
My Little Ones

Rayne Arneman - Dragon-Spawned Fighter
Olindra Rayner - Pure Sorceror
Ryhope Shaftstrike - Sneaky Sharpshooting Rogue
Death Invoker Rayne - Full-Plated Wizard

draven_darknight
Noob
Location: 1st Engineer BN 1st ID in beautiful, exotic Fort Riley

Post by draven_darknight »

just imagine what would happen if someone would be a weapons master with shurikens. :twisted:

not enough to kill but enough to distract....
Those whom a god wishes to destroy they first drive insane - Latin Proverb

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

draven_darknight wrote:just imagine what would happen if someone would be a weapons master with shurikens. :twisted:

not enough to kill but enough to distract....

I don't think it's possible since they aren't melee weapons.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

draven_darknight
Noob
Location: 1st Engineer BN 1st ID in beautiful, exotic Fort Riley

Post by draven_darknight »

Come on let a monk have his dream :)
Those whom a god wishes to destroy they first drive insane - Latin Proverb

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Allow dev crit for shurikens? (Or is it only bows and not thrown weapons that 1.64 will let dev crit be applied to?)
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Serac
Noob

Dev Crit Shurikens is there...

Post by Serac »

You can get Dev. Critical in Shurikens, it just doesn't make sense to take Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave and have 25 strength when you're playing with the throwing stars (or anything else ranged)

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

Yeah...it doesn't make sense at all..

Throwing stars blow...always have. I don't know why they are in the game...its like throwing an arrow.

If you are going touse throwing stars..might as well give that one person a serious advantage. I mean honestly giving shurikens 5d10 damage, wouldn't even changes things for a shuriken (okay it would..but im being sarcastic). Shurikens need better damage...just like all the ranged weapons.
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

TheBestDeception
Developer

Post by TheBestDeception »

ATI wrote:Shurikens need better damage...just like all the ranged weapons.

<a href="http://www.nsrealm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1918">Speaking of all ranged weapons</a>............
But, it's such a draining job that, until you've DMed on an NWN server yourself, you the playerbase, have got to cut the DMs some slack. - Flailer

Denort
Looking for group

Post by Denort »

ATI wrote:Shurikens need better damage...just like all the ranged weapons.

Does anyone else think it would make sense to have strength damage bonus applied to hurled weapons? I can understand any range weapon coming from a launcher being limited to whatever the bow/xbow/sling is capable of but you should be able put a lot of force behind a thrown weapon.

I imagine however that this one would be marked down as a "not without a hak pack" change.

ATI
Spamalot

Post by ATI »

Yeah...i don't know if the math i did in that post was even right...but oh well. I think the devs know ranged weapons need some re-working. Oh Joran when will you return to fix our woes?

Im off to cry now
I've tried fire, i've tried faith, and i've tried force, all I have left is hope.

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”