unique prestige class/faction suggestion

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
drakbear
Noob

unique prestige class/faction suggestion

Post by drakbear »

As everyone knows, the 6 factions (ie., not LA) have unique prestige classes. In playing for the past 2 months, the one faction that has the weakest prestige class, IMO, is: the Shadow Legion. The assassin is....a rogue with some perks. That's it. Ghostly visage, improved invis, poison (when it gets implemented, BG can also do it), and the "almost-doesn't-happen ever" death attack are not good compensation for being in shadow legion.

LA is better than SL because it can have any class (excluding the unique ones) and alignment. Dwarf defender, Champ of Torm, Pale Master, and RDD are all much better than an assassin. (Shifter a bit buggy, but I'm sure it'll be stronger after the 1.63 patch).

So, my radical suggestion is: make the shadowdancer the unique for the SL. Reasons why: 1) HIPS gets a lot of people bitching, so why not make them [censored] about a faction; 2)Shadow in the name already!; and 3) that'd just put the evil back in the Shadow legion.

I know that it's beta, so I don't expect this to occur any time soon. But maybe when it goes full-out legit? Feedback appreciated!
I learned it from you, dad! I learned it from watching you!

-- Classic 80s commercial

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

I don't think it fits perfectly lore wise, but I like the idea.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

kiros
Noob

Post by kiros »

For the Shadowdancer, objectively i'd say it's a good idea... (though personnaly i have an LA character that i want to build as a Shadowdancer)
"And now, may I make a right choice to change the evil fate of this unhappy day"
-Aragorn son of Arathorn
### Furion Whitehorn - Cleric (RK) ### Eledril Agurindar - Ranger/Rogue (LA)

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

I wouldn't disagree with that, giving Shadow Legion the shadowdancer and assassin.
I would take it a step further and let members of SL to be able to take both of those PrC's on the same build, as long as they level them evenly.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

kiros
Noob

Post by kiros »

JesterOI wrote:I would take it a step further and let members of SL to be able to take both of those PrC's on the same build.

I think it could be a good idea... but to simplify the process of dealing with current non-SL shadowdancers I'm suggesting the middle option... :

Don't put Shadowdancer "unique prestige class" but give the Shadow Legion the possibility of including Shadowdancer levels in their character build (even if they are Assassins).
"And now, may I make a right choice to change the evil fate of this unhappy day"
-Aragorn son of Arathorn
### Furion Whitehorn - Cleric (RK) ### Eledril Agurindar - Ranger/Rogue (LA)

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

kiros wrote:I think it could be a good idea... but to simplify the process of dealing with current non-SL shadowdancers I'm suggesting the middle option... :

Don't put Shadowdancer "unique prestige class" but give the Shadow Legion the possibility of including Shadowdancer levels in their character build (even if they are Assassins).

Good point, for the rest of beta for sure.
But once beta is over and there is a wipe could then give SL both PrC's and let them take both in a build.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

As soon as one faction gets 2 PrC's, you will absolutely EVERY non SL person bitching that they want 2 classes also. Besides, Shadowdancers are not "Evil" inherently like an assassin. So it makes no sense to just lump it in with an evil faction because the names match...

drakbear
Noob

Post by drakbear »

Yay, a post of mine that sparks interesting ideas!

HealingBreeze wrote:As soon as one faction gets 2 PrC's, you will absolutely EVERY non SL person bitching that they want 2 classes also. Besides, Shadowdancers are not "Evil" inherently like an assassin. So it makes no sense to just lump it in with an evil faction because the names match...

I threw out the idea of Shadowdancer for the SL because, well, the SL really are the weakest faction. I'm not really sure how to make them any better except giving them a stronger PrC. Assassins just don't intimidate people any more than a rogue would. I see a RDD, I think better not waste time on fire, I see a PM, I think "stupid immune to crit". I see an assassin, I think, "Rogue with perks". The five other factions unique PrC can become really intimidating. Assassin being just a rogue with some gadgets just doesn't cut it on its own. And if the unique PrC isn't that great a build, it makes the uniqueness of the faction useless. You could have just been LA member. (well, at least SL being on server 2 doesn't crash that often...I guess that's a benefit).
I learned it from you, dad! I learned it from watching you!

-- Classic 80s commercial

Denort
Looking for group

Post by Denort »

I still do not understand the whole "1 prestige class" thing. With the 2 of the most powerful prestige classes now faction specific, whats the big deal about being able to have a RDD/Arcane Archer or a Blackguard/Shadowdancer and the poor old Assassin is even more gimped now that he can not get HiPS. A rogue/shadowdancer makes a better assassin than an assassin.

Why not lift this restriction and if any combinations show up that people think need to be hit with the nerf bat do it through the existing factional class, alignment and racial restrictions.

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

There is also always the option of creating a faction/class-specific item with the HiPS bonus feat as a job or quest reward item.

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

HealingBreeze wrote:As soon as one faction gets 2 PrC's, you will absolutely EVERY non SL person bitching that they want 2 classes also. Besides, Shadowdancers are not "Evil" inherently like an assassin. So it makes no sense to just lump it in with an evil faction because the names match...

I think you are absolutely wrong.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

dond
Newbie Helper

Post by dond »

shadowdancer isn't evil.

Blackguard would be a better choice
agree that the assassin sucks though.

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

JesterOI wrote:

I think you are absolutely wrong.

Wrong about what, People complaining or my stance on shadowdancers?

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”