New Knock

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Alkapwn
PKer

New Knock

Post by Alkapwn »

- Knock: Find a nearby locked object. If it requires a key tell you. Make a check against the lock dc of caster level (limit 15 cast, or 5 from item) plus spelldc. If check succeeds, target unlocks, if you're within 20 it tells you the lock dc. (Max of 56 if my math can be trusted, but good god trans focus feats.)

The language of this is confusing and from what i gather its worse then last version

CL+20+SF vs Lock DC
Max 66dc im guessing with focus? 60 without.
I don't recall what IA chest dc is ?65? or more im assuming. and no epic doors can be opened.

If i understand the new version correctly

CL(15max) + DC10 + spell level(2) + ability modifier + feat modifier. vs lock DC
Max 55dc at 40 with a real suicide build that could barely make into Skara at 25 and thats where the fun ends. being that lock dcs jump from 45 to 65 then 90. Golden mithral chests might be 55 but i havent took notice. always used my dwarven lockpick :)
Even if the Caster level cap was off it still be max 80 .. still pretty useless. if it cant hit top lock dcs it aint worth making. espicially Trans focus *shudder* I have 3 of them lol
but like i said i dont understand the wording of new Knock.

old old knock worked well
Gave you temporary bonus to OL skill based on CL

lvl 40 wizard with 21OL could hit 100 dc pretty ez and it scaled nicely with chests. very useful

although i suggest the instant effect still but with this formula

10+CL*1.5 + AbilityMod + SFFeats vs Lock DC

So it would still take a fully focused DC caster to break down the gates of hell but leave the cheesey wizards IA chests at least. that s if they really are 65dc its been awhile.

anyhow thats my 2 cents. perhaps i should go in game and play with it first ...I said good day
::DD:: Minister of Hatemongering and Enemy Carpaccio
:MADD: Resident SlackMaster and KittenPuncher

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Re: New Knock

Post by Lokey »

Yah, timestop is trans and some other ok things, but not things you're worried about dc for at least on the arcane list. 6th spell level is way too full of things you need to think about stone to flesh on a sorc, and that's intended.

We can play with the numbers, but I think getting the top locks (85+, as far as I know you can't get them without either the feat or class skill: 20 roll + 20 ranks + 17 rings/glove + dex + whatever pick--into blowing an epic feat range) shouldn't be touchable this way. Want it to be useful leveling, which the previous formula wasn't. So say we added a flat 10. 10 + 8 stat + 12 spell base dc + cl 15--you can get mauled in skara at level 15 then...I'd need to check the dc range on chests at different levels, there's not that many locked doors around. I'd rather not use ability mod because cler domain and the wonkiness of the info the engine returns on those--hah hopefully they're not still dc 99.

There's a few IA chests, I think the highest is 70 (and we should vary that in spawning now that we can).
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

rapidshot
Noob

Post by rapidshot »

Lokey wrote: Want it to be useful leveling, which the previous formula wasn't. So say we added a flat 10. 10 + 8 stat + 12 spell base dc + cl 15--you can get mauled in skara at level 15 then...I'd need to check the dc range on chests at different levels, there's not that many locked doors around..

There's a few IA chests, I think the highest is 70 (and we should vary that in spawning now that we can).
Thanks to Lokey for making WIZ/SORC more useful on party leveling.

Normal IA chests‘ lock DC was 70,and for a Golden Mithril’s one was about 60.

very few locked doors around needed be opened on leveling.

If I didn't forget,Urmech(about CR 29),the construct boss at Isle of Dream‘s cave,who‘s lock DC was about 55,and for a toon at lvl 23-28,the new formula hit the spot.

Molemen(CR32),at the plane of earth ,useful for leveling between lvl30-33,who’s lock DC was 65 ,but it was still hard to touch according to the new formula.

Hope these would help to improve this spell :D
Fino~xxx
Silvery~XXX

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Added 10 freebie to stone to flesh and you can have all the caster levels you want. 90 possible, though I don't think I'd want to play that (and the scrolls will be able to open dc 10 doors).

Need suggestions on knock.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

Tried to open urmech door with a 26 pure wiz with epic trans focused and i was about 5 under :( only 19 base int though. didnt try stone to flesh though. Knock is pretty much the same as before maybe a bit worse?
how about CL*2 + (sf+4,gsf+8,eSF+12) vs DC?
Given they are only locks .. I've never really found anything decent in anything but IA chests rarely and locked doors are just a obstacle for playability. considering even my dex pure barb can hit 93 dc with a base of 21 openlock skill. 21base+13feats+16dex+23gear+20roll.
It's not really gonna throw anything out of balance

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

lol same to.on level 27 now at skara gate now is getting 40? still 5 below dc. something is very broken
meaning i got 50 vs now getting 40 vs ?????

DM-Mac-
Looking for group

Post by DM-Mac- »

Alkapwn wrote:lol same to.on level 27 now at skara gate now is getting 40? still 5 below dc. something is very broken
meaning i got 50 vs now getting 40 vs ?????
There has been a massive upsurge in home and buisness break ins due to the new knock spell. Peoples nick knacks and do dads are flooding the local pawn shops. Therefore to stem the tide of sence'less thefts, the knock spell has diminishing returns much like the heal pots. Each time a player uses the knock spell thier max will deminish by 5.

This change is brought to you by Jason. Are you wearing your hockey mask?
Pan -God of the Wilds- "I've had so many names, old names, that only the wind and the trees can pronounce."

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

so Stone t flesh is the new knock?

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

Idea. Make Stone to flesh a pvp spell to weaken armor. 5%.10%l.25%.50% PHYS dmg vunerability. versus sr no saves. good equalizer for us evil fellas that have little besides missles vs shifters, dwds, cots, pallys, barbs,dr monster players and general pvm ridiculas dr boringness... just an idea...
re: illithid form as example of non exploit

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Ith form ability can be problematic, don't really want those headaches elsewhere. Also targeting on s2f is pretty wonky anyway already, dunno if it allows use on hostiles.

Knock needs a slight bump, and you usually have fine ideas alka, but your writing clarity could use a bit of work (fewer shots before posting). :)

Alkapwn
PKer

Post by Alkapwn »

noted.... :oops:

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”