Treasure and you

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Treasure and you

Post by Lokey »

Found what was nagging me about loot drops and why they seemed below what was set. So did some reconfiguring as follows:

At all levels there's a 1/3 chance to drop all equipped ammo (unchanged) if creature drops something. Bosses always drop stuff (the demonweb sub-bosses are because bril hates you, sorry).

CR 15 and below: Random items are varied and desirable. So 1/3 of the time they drop something it'll be from equipped items (either only that or in combination with other items from tables). Half of that time it'll be two equipped items if they have that equipped.

CR 16 to CR 32: Creature specific items more desirable. 60% of the time include equipped item, 25% of that 2 (if they have 2).

CR 33 and up: How many IA tridents do I need? Always from equipped if available, 10% of the time 2.

Bosses of all levels drop 1 to 3 items (unchanged) as well as guaranteed table rolls and double gold. Also a pony. Of course this can get frustrating with Lolth when you get the hair tie instead of a ring or a ring and armor or a ring and armor and knife and pony...

Unique is in there somewhere (generally a creature will have other treasure as well as that--didn't change that).

Amazon bosses are the only ones that won't drop every time (there's a lot of them). Most other creatures drop 20% of the time (remember law of large numbers, sometimes you kill 5 creatures to get a drop, sometimes 3, sometimes 10). I'm willing to negotiate on that (tuna is higher, don't remember what precisely), but I can see endgame going to 30 or 40 in sparsely populated areas or things with tons of items to pick from like glimmers (robe, kamas, boots, I forget what else).

Joran and I originally envisioned loot not doing that much for you and it just being bytes, so there should be enough that you have to choose what to haul away. Then came epic levels and inventory expanders and ... :)

So pitch any ideas/complaints/death threats you have. I'm pretty sure you don't want to know how bad the chances of creature specific items used to be before I looked at it :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Re: Treasure and you

Post by Amoenotep »

rust monsters......when do i get my damn rust monsters. the real ones..that destroy equipped items on attack....WHEN LOKEY...WHEN. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

frogofpeace
PKer

Post by frogofpeace »

Unique drops are proof Bril didn't hate us.
Three years of nursery school and you think you know it all.
- Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Yah, that's what I thought epic, templated rust monsters. Higher end will need some rethinking (it's really hard to come up with items that are options not this is the current best thing until something new comes along) as well as maybe a few more cutoff points, but I'd rather crowd-source that since lots of people know that kind of thing way better than me.

Mining put it something like you if you do an entire plane with the standard party of 4-6 everyone should get something nice but everyone shouldn't get everything.

Ok, Elysium top to bottom and loop amoria to go kill the dragon, clearing maps entirely:
Of course it depends on creature distribution: that varies a lot there because I like the random. There were maybe 7 Avorals, none of them dropped. One of the maruts was a double drop and things seemed pretty construct heavy. These mostly aren't best of type items of course (there's a better heavy flail), and don't want them to be rare by any means.

In theory I could add another item to Leonal, maybe something to ursinal...did I mention I hate designing items?

Like I said, want to observe what happens for a while, then decide what'll work out best generally not in some ideal world where everything has a couple unique equipment pieces and not a level appropriate magic robe off the general list because I couldn't think of something unique to do on clothes that isn't anywhere else or among the don't let this combo of things be possible :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

I went with 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 equipped item rates for the scale above (non-bosses by CR). See how that looks.

PereV
Noob

Post by PereV »

Was killing in gnolls the other day and noticed a distinct difference in the drop rate. Not what, per se, but even if remains showed up. Clearing out both interior levels netted probably less than 15 remains over all.

Gnoll Boss did drop, so that worked. But it felt weird killing 10 in a row and nothing at all appearing.

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”