Improve Crafting

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
mweidel13
Noob

Improve Crafting

Post by mweidel13 »

I would be nice to be able to craft more powerful items. Perhaps for the best items we would need to get get specific ingredients. Should be some sort of quest that requires a party and is not a one and done type of thing to keep with the crafting methodology already in place.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Re: Improve Crafting

Post by mining »

(in general) crafting offers some really, really nice options - best fort belt, very good spotter helm, great ammunition, good +disc bracers, nice AC/reflex boots (good for str toons), and some quite solid options in the cloak, amulet, and various utility craftables. I'm not entirely sure how you'd want it to be upgraded - best gear shouldn't come from grinding up some XP and some gold.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Korr
PKer

Post by Korr »

mining wrote:best gear shouldn't come from grinding up some XP and some gold.
Why not instead of some you make it LOTS.

Or as mweidel13 suggested specific crafting items that drop from various bosses?

/e : Past anything else this would be the best server enhancement I can foresee. Most everything can be broken down to raw numbers due to the fact that gear is VERY streamlined. This wouldnt eliminate that but would VERY VERY much broaden that perspective if you could craft your own items that are completely customizable.
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Crafting needs reworking, yah. Adding inventory isn't the way I'd want to go, especially something that needs grinding. I've played a mod with Ultima style crafting, never again :)

Granted we have enough to rework now and should wait on this a bit.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Opie Crimeria
Noob

Post by Opie Crimeria »

A very basic example for crafting mod, just tossing it out there:
Add a drop to the Air Mistress; say a pulsing electrical orb. A crafter can take this orb and add it to the L25 crafted belt upgrade inventory screen. Adding this orb, along with the necessary gp/xp will put 5/- electrical resistance to the belt. Or if this is too much how about a 1/day electrical shield with a basic standard timer or will absorb upto 60 points of electrical damage.
Not adding the orb will result in the standard L30 crafted belt.

Heh, or require 10 broken books to upgrade a crafted item. Make an actual use for the broken books and yet make us poor grinders carry/hold those heavy pieces of sadness.

Hyk
Noob

Post by Hyk »

Please let us craft +7 weapons so that we can use all those fun weapons that NOBODY plays with due to there being no good drop.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Hyk wrote:Please let us craft +7 weapons so that we can use all those fun weapons that NOBODY plays with due to there being no good drop.
I think we have a +7 for everything but sickle, throwing axes, kukri (intended), scimitar (intended) and some of the 'duplicates' e.g. light crossbow, darts, etc.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Ajantis.
Spamalot

Post by Ajantis. »

I want a +7 kama
Temet Nosce

We follow the righteous path, the path of Helm.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Ajantis. wrote:I want a +7 kama
Someone wanted a great flail, now look what happened, lol.

Ajantis.
Spamalot

Post by Ajantis. »

Why can't we have nice things....
Temet Nosce

We follow the righteous path, the path of Helm.

Hyk
Noob

Post by Hyk »

mining wrote:
Hyk wrote:Please let us craft +7 weapons so that we can use all those fun weapons that NOBODY plays with due to there being no good drop.
I think we have a +7 for everything but sickle, throwing axes, kukri (intended), scimitar (intended) and some of the 'duplicates' e.g. light crossbow, darts, etc.
So is that a "no"?

Monkey
Pk Bait

Post by Monkey »

Good suggestion. Crafting weapons is pointless now. IA drops are as good as the best crafted weapon and don't cost you 7,500xp and 235,000 gold. Either +7 on the top end with no bonus damage or letting you add the elemental damage of your choice could make weapon crafting worth the effort.

addseo1115
Noob

Post by addseo1115 »

letting you add the elemental damage of your choice could make weapon crafting worth the effort.
golden slot

nagaguard
Pk Bait

Post by nagaguard »

I am a huge fan of the current crafting system, but it could use a few more items in its library. I know, Lokey said adding items isn't the fix, but I'm not proposing a fix/revamp here. I'm merely appealing for a balance in crafted items and world drops. For example, level 20 items don't have a generic (a la GM or IA) drop so as to increase the appeal of crafted items. And, for the most part, this logic permeates all required levels (1, 5, 9, 13, etc). My gripe is when the existence of an item-type within the crafting library is utterly useless, or when the lack of an item in the crafting library doesn't have a matching world drop, causing a lack of that item-type for a given level.

Useless items: crafted heavy plates and shields at levels 1-13 are utter crap. Crafted heavy armors are the 1/7 kind (so already 1 AC lower) and they have -1 AC enhancement from their equal-level store-bought counterpart, For a total of -2 AC vs store-bought heavy armor of the same category. Why would you ever craft that armor for low level use? There is no reason to ever craft it, not even the -20 lbs lightness is justification enough. Once you hit level 16, the progression picks up to current standards and there is no issue, but lower levels definitely suck. You should at least update these kinds of items to match store gear. It would make for a much more enjoyable leveling experience, having more useful craftables during your leveling progression 1-16. And no, it won't make store bought items obsolete. It's not like every STR toon takes up armor crafting. Only the armor crafter would be able to pass on store armors and shields, and it makes perfect sense that he should be able to. I understand that the armor crafting system was made back when items' AC progression was still as in NS3, but please do update the armor crafting AC and DI/DR to meet current standards. Moreover, I have NO issues whatsoever with there not being craftable slash shields or pierce heavy armor. This restriction actually enriches gameplay, making IA reinforced shields and IA mesh heavy armors coveted pieces of equipment. The end-game slash shield, Guardian of Celestia, and pierce armors like the Lolth plate variants are even more valuable and highly rewarding when acquired.

Lack of item-type: it seems that leather and medium armors are major points of complaint. Why are there no medium armors as part of the armor crafting library? Store bought medium armors are utter crap with split DI/DR, often times lacking the right damage type appropriate for typical lowbie leveling areas. Beyond level 20, medium armors are few and far in between. Medium armors are STUPID GOOD at level 35, but you're s**t out of luck until your toon hits 35. It would be awesome to be able to craft 5/2 and 4/4 medium armors of different DI/DR flavors. And why are there only 1x 2/6 and 1x 3/4 leather armors in the leathers library, and no choices for DI/DR in either category? By contrast, tailoring has cloth armors in all non-split DI/DR flavors. It would be cool to have more DI/DR types for each kind of leather armor and also 1/8 armors. For store bought leather armor, most of it is split DI/DR, just like medium armors. At levels beyond 30, the pickings are slim. Chanter's Shroud, Bahamut Copper Scales, or Zetch'r'r's Armor are all good and way better than anything you would be able to craft at level 30, so you're really not diminishing the value of those end-game armors by adding more leather armor variety to crafting. My point here is that you can fill in the item gaps by adding these underused armor types into the crafting system, boosting the usefulness of the craft, as well as not reducing the value of high-end drops.

On a less important note, some crafted items are unusable due to an NS4 error. These items are easily identifiable, as they cost 0xp 0gold to craft. Maybe you can fix those and enable them for use?

addseo1115
Noob

Post by addseo1115 »

Why would you ever craft that armor for low level use?
เก็นติ้ง

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”