Problem with Attack of Opportunity

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Frendel
Looking for group

Problem with Attack of Opportunity

Post by Frendel »

Imagine you're a Shadowdancer, Assassin, Ranger, or Rogue and you are inches away from making your move and laying waste to the invader intruding on your turf. The situation is perfect, they can't see you and you start to get a little nervous about the death blow you're about to unleash, but.......hey, what's that? It's....it's a rat on the ground....oh no way will this stand.....ok, screw the mission, screw staying hidden, if this thing gets into striking range, THIS RAT MUST DIE AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now let's say you're a powerful spellcaster and you've just gotten the alert that invaders are on the way to your home city. You're not far from home, so what do you do? You buff up using your Autoquickened spell queue to get ready because it's serious go time, but........a fire beetle is charging me from 20 feet away and is actually no real threat in any way shape or form, but how dare that insignificant thing charge me while I am casting to defend my proud city? THIS FIRE BEETLE MUST DIE AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, a bit dramatic, but I'm sure we've all been that angry at Attack of Opportunity being more hassle than it's worth. Is there a way to code a toggle for using AoO? Something like /enableaoo and /disableaoo? It would be a 'self-only' command of course. I'm not a coder/builder so I really have no idea how tough it would be, but it would certainly make actions a bit more realistic as far as what a character would actually do in that type of situation.
Last edited by Frendel on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korr
PKer

Re: Problem with Attack of Opportunity

Post by Korr »

Throw on a ranged weapon is the solution to this. I in fact think this was brought up before.

Sadly ranged weapon is less realistic for a mage to do (spell slots from staves). Im not sure what they could do with AoO... would guess its hard coded. Would hate to see rats with 15 tumble as well!
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

Frendel
Looking for group

Post by Frendel »

That's just it though. If you're about to melee, you aren't going to have a ranged weapon out. Hmmmm, I actually like the idea of rats with 15 tumble to be honest lol. Easy fix to make mobs in faction areas be immune to it.

weasel423
Newbie Helper

Post by weasel423 »

Korr wrote:Throw on a ranged weapon is the solution to this. I in fact think this was brought up before.
Sadly, you cannot apply Lolth's Poison to a ranged weapon, nor switch out and switch back... <sarcasm>but at least the rat never makes its save and and the venom is not wasted</sarcasm>

Frendel wrote:Hmmmm, I actually like the idea of rats with 15 tumble to be honest lol. Easy fix to make mobs in faction areas be immune to it.
... until you are trying to level a new toon
[IO] is the way to go!

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb
~Dark Helmet

Frendel
Looking for group

Post by Frendel »

Giving rats 15 artificial points (avoiding +3 ac) will not hinder any player here. No level 1 toons count on AoO to get to level 2. I recommend anyone who has that as a problem quit playing NS4 now.

TheEdge
Dungeon Master

Post by TheEdge »

Your godly aura shimmers with power as you watch with distain as these so called warriors of the land attempt in their feeble manner to wage war. You pause, if only for a moment, just pick out a single dirty Drow to kill with just a simple flick of your finger when, what is that!!! A full barrel of Ale??? How did that miss your all seeing eye??

HOW DARE THAT FULL BARREL OF ALE NOT YET BE IN YOUR GULLETT!!!

The death of that deserving dirty Drow will just have to wait.

(yep…..that sounds about right)
Gorm-Fire Eyes

dethonlegs
Looking for group

Post by dethonlegs »

You forgot "running the relic, but had to stop as the vermin moving past must die"

Unwanted AoO's are right up there with the classic kd/stun on a friendly after targeting an enemy and the enemy moving out of mele range.

Just another of the annoying 'features' of the game.

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

My favorite is when a rat running up to a caster causes them to break their spell queue and attack, and then the caster has to wait until the next round to start casting again because they initiated an attack round.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Personally I like when a dragon tries to walk from A to B and there's another enemy on the map.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Frendel
Looking for group

Post by Frendel »

Does no one think that it would be a helpful improvement to the game if all rats and fire beetles were given a non-droppable +15 tumble ring? Meta-gaming by equipping a ranged weapon is the only way to avoid the nonsense of actually stopping to spend time on garbage kills when your build and wits should be what's winning. If it's too tough to do then fine, but I see no negatives to solving it if it can be done.

dethonlegs
Looking for group

Post by dethonlegs »

Frendel wrote:Does no one think that it would be a helpful improvement to the game
I'm sure all players think it's a great idea, however as the gods enjoy watching mortals struggle over the minutia of the game, dont be suprised if anything that lessens their lolz is ignored.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

If anything I'd just throw spring attack on everything - dunno, worth it? It's a very "this happens to everyone" thing.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Korr
PKer

Post by Korr »

Before I multi-boxed and before I had anything better to do... rats outside of SL was best xp because AoO and cleave!!!

Anymore... meh!
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

Daltian
Relic Raider

Post by Daltian »

Why have doors, bridges, npcs, rats, signs or anything for that matter. Lets just have one big white room, four walls, put everyone together and we kill each other. No need for relics, factions, classes, levels, items. It all just ruins the fun.

To make it even better we should all just quit this and play pong. All we need is 2 lines and a small dot.
xXenox

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

now your talking chases kind of server.

also +15 tumble would give them +3ac, which in fact might be a little harder for low lvls to take them out. the AoO feature is just that, a feature. anything that moves within your attack radius presents itself with to a free attack. if they had tumble and you didn't hit them, you'd still try to attack them, which wouldn't really solve your problem except that you might not hit them.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”