You be the dev: Word of Faith

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

You be the dev: Word of Faith

Post by Lokey »

Been bugged for a while, and you should be thankful since there's many npcs that would auto-kill any pc :)

Current idea was 20% miss chance to enemies. Blindfight doesn't cut in half, but negates entirely (reason 400some that darkness is teh broken).

So I'm looking for something not crippling but generally worth using, while not specifically usually worth throwing first. I'd think SR:yes and no save (there's more than enough reason to focus evo for cler already).

I think ab/ac or something with saves we have enough of without adding another 2 or 3 on top of those. Maybe something along the lines of Nature's Balance though there's no way clerics are getting a way to lower SR ;) (That means something that inhibits enemies a bit and helps allies a bit.)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Re: You be the dev: Word of Faith

Post by Amoenotep »

anything vs an opposing alignment would be cool....as it is a word of Faith your blasting them with. so they should pay for not having YOUR faith :)
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

Based off the title of the spell, its a word of faith and like you said should strengthen those around you and weaken your foes.

-SR check yes, -20% to hit rolls for all opponents is neat, AND -2 to abilities for opponents.

-SR check yes, -2 to abilities of opponents

-SR check yes, -2 to abiliites for different alignments (so good cleric casting word of faith causes -2 strength, dex, con, int, wis, and cha, for neutral and evil alignments. Neutral -2 to good or evil, Evil = -2 to neutral and good, the negative to abilities is non party friendly.

-Make it like a bard song; SR check yes, -2 to AB, AC, and Saves of opponents (or different alignment) for 10 rounds and +2 to AB, AC, Saves of your party members (or of the same alignment), any restore cures. (So if you go with the alignment theme, make this non party friendly as well).

I know you said, SR yes and Save no, BUT

Make it like prismatic spray or thunderclap in that its a three save spell, but party friendly; SR check yes, Fort Save or Stunned, Will Save or Feared, Reflex Save or 1d6 divine damage per caster lvl up to 15 caster lvls, evasion applies

One comment on the alignment part. I think that it greatly benefits certain factions (NC, SL, TC, MA) in that their alignments are relatively uniform while AO and RK have a wide disparity of alignments so they won't be able to benefit from the manner that I've tried to include 'tep's idea of including alignment into how Word of Faith affects targets. Just commenting so that others may be able to come up with a way around that or a better way to implement alignment with this spell.
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

alignment is still relevant for those other factions. if you just use the good/neutral/evil alignments for checks than anything but your specific one would be opposite. so good>evil/neutral and so on.

that gets those pansies that are too chicken to pick a real alignment by going pure neutral ;)
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Personally I think a personal (not a zone) silence effect with SR: Yes, Save: Yes, abjuration focus, not evo, if possible, that silences the foe for 1 round per 10 caster levels.

Another alternative would be an 'upper level' version of hammer of the gods and sound burst. A final alternative would be a type of natures balance type spell, offering a bonus/malus to stuff.

A final option; when I get my DnD books back, I'll look up the following complete divine spells for ideas;
7 Blasphemy/Holy Word[1]: Kills, paralyzes, weakens, or dazes nonevil/nongood subjects.
7 Righteous Wrath of the Faithful*: Your allies get bonuses, especially if they worship your deity.
4: Castigate; All creatures whose alignment differs from yours on both the law-chaos and good-evil axes take 1d4 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d4). All creatures who alignment differs from yours on one component take half damage, and this spell does not deal damage to those who share your alignment.

But, because its a level 7 spell, something like (at 20, capped at 30dx?) 20d8 for diametrically opposite, i.e. LG/CE, 20d6 for opposite on either good/evil or law/chaos, 20d4 for 1 step away, and healing of 1 HP per CL for the same; just in case your LG cleric spams castigate near a paladin ;)
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

LunarSquirrel
Wheres the donation box?

Post by LunarSquirrel »

How bout keeping it simple? One of the following perhaps...

Opponents in the radius lose 1 attack per turn, will save negates, No SR. DC Based on Caster Levels. Maybe add 5-10% spell failure so it affects casters too.

Could it affect movement speed some? You've just been blasted by divine power...slow you down 10%? No save here, fom doesn't remove, brief duration.

-2 to all saves for a certain amount of time to all enemies caught in its radius, stacking with other save reducing effects but not with itself (you can't spam 5 to give someone -10). I like the diametrically opposed in maybe giving -3. You could either have it last a short amount of time with no save/SR check whatsoever, or much longer with either of those in play. I know this is what you mentioned you really didn't want to see, but again, it's simple.

Maybe zaps all mantles/globes while we're at it (wishful cleric thinking here...)
-Jesse

Laura/Akuma of TSS

"Brute force solves everything. If you ever find that it doesn't; you're not using enough."

weasel423
Newbie Helper

Post by weasel423 »

Instead of Alignment, all enemies with a different Diety :)
[IO] is the way to go!

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb
~Dark Helmet

Shadowalker
Relic Raider

Post by Shadowalker »

weasel423 wrote:Instead of Alignment, all enemies with a different Diety :)
The Divine Wars begin!

To eary to put in a vote for fav. There are several skilled light bulb makers out there that haven spoken yet.
Twig (TSS) - Twig [CLAD] - Twigs -Fury- - SyNfully Rotted Twig - Twig'lee -Down Under- - Twig'zilla

Fergus Glonshire [FoN] - Sakij Lovac [FoN] - Zatharus Rivermoon (TSS) - Bumble (TSS) - Body built for SyN

Rufio
PKer

Post by Rufio »

Ok, I have 2 ideas. I like the first the best:

1 target has their movement speed slowed for the duration of the spell, duration remains the same as the original word of faith. They still retain all attacks and normal stats. No save, Spell resistance still applies, ignores all immunities.

The other idea was more specialized, sort of an anti-hipser, but it is essentially an Aasamir light aura that can be cast on opponents for the same duration of the original word of faith (short duration). Hide penalty is based on caster level. Blinds light-sensitive races. No save, SR applies.
Sebastian (TSS) Doc - Rufio of (TSS) - Dagr (TSS)
Raijin {FoN} - Arcadia {FoN} - Geb {FoN}

weasel423
Newbie Helper

Post by weasel423 »

Rufio wrote:Blinds light-sensitive races.
I am for blinding ALL enemies as it previously did... light-sensitive races already have a wide range of spells that will blind them. Do we really need one more that just affects those races?
[IO] is the way to go!

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb
~Dark Helmet

Kromix
Addict

Post by Kromix »

Make WoF blind everyone, even the caster. and summon 20 little rabbid bunnies
Image Image
TGPO wrote: Call me a nazi all you want [...] it wont change the way I approach things.

mining
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by mining »

Or WoF could be a dispel that dispels the buffs of those of other alignments, 0 for same, 1 for 1 off, 2 for 2 off, and 4 for diametrically opposite i.e. Greater Spell Breach/Mords hybrid that doesn't affect AV(your alignment), neutral gets screwed over.
Bargeld wrote:Overall, I think most would agree that a pure rogue is probably the worst build on the server.

Rainswept
Newbie Helper

Post by Rainswept »

I vote that any cleric who casts WoF be teleported to RK and insta-killed, with the xp and rep bonus going to whatever dwarf is closest. In the event an RK dwarf casts it, they are transported to Sleeth.

Clerics have a pretty big bag-o-usefulness already. :wink:
Chernobyl_Glow wrote:the players in AO/RK are evil two headed trolls in real life who kick their dogs and speed through school zones
Shamedmonkey wrote:I can feel myself get stupider.

DM Sun Tzu
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Sun Tzu »

The 3.5 Player's Handbook does not have Word of Faith. It appears to be based on Word of Chaos"
Word of Chaos
Evocation [Chaotic, Sonic]
Level: Chaos 7, Clr 7
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 40 ft.
Area: Nonchaotic creatures in a 40-ft.-radius spread centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None or Will negates;
see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Any nonchaotic creature within the area who hears the word of chaos suffers the
following ill effects.
The effects are cumulative and concurrent.
No saving throw is allowed against these effects.
Deafened: The creature is deafened for 1d4 rounds.
Stunned: The creature is stunned for 1 round.
Confused: The creature is confused, as by the confusion spell, for 1d10 minutes. This is a mind-affecting enchantment effect.
Killed: Living creatures die. Undead creatures are destroyed.
HD Effect
Equal to caster level Deafened
Up to caster level –1 Stunned, deafened
Up to caster level –5 Confused, stunned, deafened
Up to caster level –10 Killed, confused, stunned, deafened
Furthermore, if you are on your home plane when you cast this spell, nonchaotic extraplanar creatures within the area are instantly banished back to their home planes. Creatures so banished cannot return for at least 24 hours. This effect takes place regardless of whether the creatures hear the word of chaos. The banishment effect allows a Will save (at a – 4 penalty) to negate.
Creatures whose HD exceed your caster level are unaffected by word of chaos.
Quite useful when your opponents are of a lower lvl.
DM Sun Tzu

"to subjugate the enemy's army without doing battle is the highest of excellence."

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

movement speed effects will have a tendency for exploitable purposes. lokey might confirm that, but i think its true.

blind = the most broken/borked status on the server and isn't worth much anymore.
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”