Event and Task Ideas from the community...

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
DM_Kim
Dungeon Master

Event and Task Ideas from the community...

Post by DM_Kim »

We have been discussing event ideas amongst the team. However, I am looking towards our community to see what events, DM tasks, the players would like to see, have more of, or new ideas for events that they would like to participate in.

As well as, are there players who would like to help out or run their own event with DM assistance?
Mistress Kim
dm_kim999@hotmail.com

Berronar Truesilver - The Revered Mother

Big Billy
Noob

Re: Event and Task Ideas from the community...

Post by Big Billy »

I have always had a great time with DM events based around holidays. For example, near Christmas time there were several sightings of Santa and his various helpers. It was fun to role play with the DM(s) that were running the Santa.

It would be fun to have more events similar to the Santa events. Valentines day is approaching...maybe create a Cupid character and some minions. Or maybe something for St. Patrick's Day...little lepricons or something similar hiding their pots of gold (or coffers of gear/a book).

Soccer events are fun...it's been a long time since one of those events has been held.

Shadowalker
Relic Raider

Post by Shadowalker »

All of my toons, under login same as forum handle, are available to the DM's for RP events (dont have to be rp event, will turn it that way on my own). Will do anything so long as its In Character of the toon involved. spent several hours one day in RP with 3 others over the problems that come with Lycanthropy. Beware the Beast. (my thanks again to the dm who loged after reset just so we could continue with the insanity)

On a previous server one of my toons hosted a player event called Twigstock. My toon, Twig (a druid created by treants) gathered young (lvl 1 toons) and guided them along diffrent paths of adventure, with an underlying theme of drama and twists. We met for 2-4 hours twice a week for a cppl of months, till the toons had progressed to lvl 40. Twig did not power level them, a few buffs and guidance was all they recieved. That and a few hours of laughter twice a week. By the time the first Twigstock ended (hosted 4 in all), half the Dm staff of the server had become invloved, weither by creating unique rp items for the event or by direcly join the rp using NPC's. It was a lot of fun for the players/toons to progress from start to finish with the same group. This server had no leveling rules or scripting so you could build a 40 in about 16 hours. Twigstock reminded the players of the fun that could be had by taking your time. On NS4, its scripted so that time is required, but I still like the idea of a continuing adventure with the same group. Ofcourse those not into RP wouldnt find it as fun.

Yes i know its a PVP server.. not a RP server.. but the rp servers are too strict and smothering. love action, just prefer it flavored with some rp here n there.
Twig (TSS) - Twig [CLAD] - Twigs -Fury- - SyNfully Rotted Twig - Twig'lee -Down Under- - Twig'zilla

Fergus Glonshire [FoN] - Sakij Lovac [FoN] - Zatharus Rivermoon (TSS) - Bumble (TSS) - Body built for SyN

Korr
PKer

Post by Korr »

There are always "Best (of) . . ." events.

Who can run the fastest, who has the best AB, who can dish the most damage, who has the best AC, who can hinder another more without actually killing them, who can shoot the furthest target (bow), who can fire the furthest fireball. Who can survive in 'x' area with 'x' items the longest.
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

--Ashe--
Looking for group

Post by --Ashe-- »

I saw the great gnome death race for WoW on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0y9sMZiUA

I always thought it would be hilarious to do something similar in NS4. Race from the tip of the north of the realm all the way to the south, with a marked race route (you could even use temporary portals along legs to cast the runners to other locations, such as the maps of underdark from end to end, or through select maps of the planes... imagine gnomes getting stoneheld in earth just gives me giggles) . Runners are all level ones, no spells, no eq. Designate some level 40s on each leg of the race to be rezzers to keep the runners going.

Murder mayhem and insane laughter throughout.
Celeste Harenhaal {FoN}, Rayne Quinn {FoN}, Vin {FoN}
Shogun (TSS), Zen (TSS)
Tyrion SyN, Deviant SyN, Rahvin SyN, Venial SyN

Chernobyl_Glow
Newbie Helper

Post by Chernobyl_Glow »

i like the idea of a death race. allow the players to pk each other on the way and on the way back. would make for some good fun. run from place a to place b on opposite side of aetheria, no portals, boats or dragons. pick up "trivial item" and come back to point a.

Here's one I've thought of. The planes are now linked. Have an event where teams of 4 are required to go collect at least one trophy from each of the four elemental planar bosses. i.e. Amulet of Power, Robes of Flame, Diving Helm and Whip of the Winds. The items wouldn't have to be those specific items but at least one from each of the four bosses.

the cool thing about this is inevitably you have Group A which is trying to kill the Earth Boss or something and Group B runs in behind and wipes them out kills the boss and steals the drop. Knowledge of these planes will be useful and they'll be kind of hard for 4 characters. And again its a race.

I'm not sure how the portals are exactly linked. But if you made it 4 adjacent planes then there would be significant value to knowing those links and where they are and where they go.

The challenges would be minimal and manageable (I think):
1- players would inevitably risk xp loss since they'll be encountering some pvp in areas with some mobs and thus might take a couple of respawn penalties if they are unlucky. You could consider an xp award that makes it worth this risk or refund lost xp or just make an xp loss at your own risk gamble.
2- to make it fair the dm's should manage the spawns in the boss rooms to make sure that they are consistent. and ensure that there are full drops. (or at least something drops). it would be kind of a kill joy if you had to wait for a boss to spawn and or killed him and he didn't drop anything because it was the DM that spawned him for ya.

For an All Day Saturday version you could make it 6 of the harder bosses and allow parties of 6. the Posi Boss, Neg Boss, Draco and HOK Boss and any two Elemental Bosses. (Or something).

A cool option would be to make each team announce when they've killed one of the bosses over Shout. So that all the other teams know where they are. Eventually you'd be able to say, "ok team number 3 has three of the four. they've not killed the water boss. let's go intercept them." of course this could force a stalemate. A time limit on the event would force the intercepting team to choose between staying to intercept again or going to try and collect the remaining pieces themselves. "Ok guys. Team 3 has all but 1. We still need 2. If we stay here waiting to intercept we'll run out of time and lose."

really hope we can get more events rolling. they are always a highlight. i thought it was really cool that i was able to reach 40th in the last one. makes it that much more memorable.

- Glow -

diddy33
Newbie Helper

Post by diddy33 »

Capture the flag, take the LA relic and put it on top of the mountain or something, and see which individual can hold onto it the longest.

Edit: the flag cannot leave that map.

Rainswept
Newbie Helper

Post by Rainswept »

I just posted lots of ideas for quests in the thread below this one, but for one-off events I've been involved in lots of those.

In one game, on Easter there were eggs hidden all over the place with letters on them. A prize could be given to anyone who spells their name, or maybe the name of their god.

Scavenger hunts where each spot you find leaves clues to the next are always a blast.

I always wanted to see a non-voluntary event too, such as waiting till the server is full and dumping everyone into one big battle-royale (Or battle against one big ole monster)

Holiday events would be really fun if they produced low-level holiday looking gear too, nothing too powerful, just something that'd be very nice below 9, and make it look all holiday-ish (Skull helms for halloween, santa-capes for x-mas, bikini-looking gear for summertime)

Another thought would be to steal from Harry Potter, and whenever a faction wins an event, change Avendell to reflect the recent winners... Make everyone walk past a statue of Moradin when RK takes the most recent event...
Chernobyl_Glow wrote:the players in AO/RK are evil two headed trolls in real life who kick their dogs and speed through school zones
Shamedmonkey wrote:I can feel myself get stupider.

Bargeld
PKer

Post by Bargeld »

Everyone in 1 area/arena/etc
Based on the # of people participating, 1 out of every 10 players (tweak as needed) is chosen to be a zombie/wererat/etc to begin the game
Zombies/wr/etc have unlimited lives, but are randomly warped in the area each time they respawn
Zombies/wr/etc should get a few boosts to enhance their abilities, add haste, DR, see all hiddens etc
Each time they kill a PC, the pc comes back as a zombie/wr/etc unitl last man standing wins
Death Dealers ::DD::
Laufer - Gemetzel - Force - Little Fist - Egil - Torture - Hatshepsu - Nemesis - Hierophant - Supernaut - Flesh Hound - Insurrection - Antithesis - Dead of Winter - Volcanus 2000

Azeel3
Pk Bait

Post by Azeel3 »

how about we have one nite where we have to go around collecting different items that are the so-called junk items. torches,mirrors,eyepatches,candle sticks, etc,etc, we'd have maybe two hours to go to different areas collect these itmes and then report to different chest in factions to put in a certain combination to recieve an item of one use. I.E. a horn, torch,plain ring of light,+2 wisdom ammy and a soft skin belt, and you'd get maybe a light bomb, or a ring of searing light good for one use. Or maybe an iron hand, pitchfork, flame arrow, and throwing axe and get a true strike ring with one charge on it.

The Sandman of PWnD

DM_Kim
Dungeon Master

Post by DM_Kim »

For items to be used by players, it needs to be scripted and included into the data base.

Suggestion: Suck up to devs with small item suggestions for these types of events. Praise them, keep telling them how great they are even though they know it, Offer them flowers and cake once a week. :mrgreen:

If they are willing to make and install them we (I) would be more than happy to run small events and pass out some of these items.

We have a host of DM's now that stage different types of events. Don't be afraid to PM any one of them, that suites your taste and style of event with your ideas and talk it over with them. The more ideas that come in could result in more events.
Mistress Kim
dm_kim999@hotmail.com

Berronar Truesilver - The Revered Mother

Ghostly
Dungeon Master

Post by Ghostly »

I kinda like that 1st lvl death race :twisted:
Brandobaris, The Irrepressible Scamp

if i didn't do it... someone else would have...

Ajantis.
Spamalot

Post by Ajantis. »

I always liked Mentarch's events that more or less were an onslaught of spawned creatures that the whole server needed to participate in to defeat them. But there was a story line attached to them and he did a good job roleplaying and creating a story to go along with it. Everyone pretty much got xp and perhaps some rewards to go along with it depending on the results of the battle. Albeit, this was before a lot of the epic planes were put in, but it was still fun to me because it was DM engineered, rather than a typical planar adventure, not to mention it allowed for some roleplay by players and a different strategy than usually applied in the planes.
Temet Nosce

We follow the righteous path, the path of Helm.

deathdancer
Noob

Post by deathdancer »

How about a "book drive". ~Have your toon reset to lvl 1 again, and you get a refund on any books you might have put into it. Of course you would loose the bonus gained from said book or books. Maybe help clean out some old useless toons.

arvut
Noob

Post by arvut »

... Or you simply delete them and remake them. Problem solved.
Simulacrum is never what hides the truth - it is truth that hides the fact that there is none.
Simulacrum is true.

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”