Chanter's Shroud and other unused items

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
deathdancer
Noob

Chanter's Shroud and other unused items

Post by deathdancer »

Not sure if it has been brought up before. But is there anyway to change chanter shroud to

"none" armor so its way more usable for us bards? As it is its light armor with a 10% arcane

failure rate. If you even try to use a blucker to help with damage resists that gives you a 15%

which is way to high to really be usable. I feel it would really help us out. Maybe make it bard

only if there is a problem with balance? What other items maybe need to be look at?

Celorn
Relic Raider

Re: Chanter's Shroud and other unused items

Post by Celorn »

perhaps it could be given a -% to spell failure like the queen armor from skara??

It would be nice if bards had a +6 ac armor that they could actually use, as it is there are only 2 +5 armors that are somewhat usable -(considering all the other nerfs poor ol'bards have endured post 1.69)-
ImageImage

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

I thought about it. Lower level stuff I could see, but one feat you should take and two epic feats means you never have to worry about spell failure anyway.

For now I'll agree with Celorn that a non-dex bard is a corpse. But haven't tried anything else myself...Linux probably has a horribly cheesy unkillable con based bard somewhere :)
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

If youre thinking "automatic still spell" not doable unless you have the possibility to cast 9th lvl spells.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

Malik
Dungeon Master

Post by Malik »

I think a str bard/rdd mix may be playable
Lokey wrote: Dragons will eat you if they can catch you.

Korr
PKer

Post by Korr »

Im working out a bard thats str based . . . pure for crafting. Will let you know how hard it goes down I guess lol
Amoenotep wrote:korr is the greatest :(

ImageImage

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

My dex bard isn't insta-corpse. The problem is doing useful things outside of sweet buffs and debuffs and opening the odd locked whatever and identifying stuff (don't take lore skill--you get enough from bard levels to id almost anything).

I started like 12/14/12/10/14/14 before fire genasi. Up dex with stats. Great dex if I can't think of another feat to take.

So at level 35 with some planar gear I'm ac 60odd with saves of 35/50/35 before adding in spellcraft where applicable (with song). 3 more saves from levels, epic fort and will taken... Could have taken point blank and done some archery, but that's not much better (except crit damage) and expensive, plus no shield.

Maybe warcry could use some rethinking, make it more like divine power or wrath for pure bard only...
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

Lokey wrote:Maybe warcry could use some rethinking, make it more like divine power or wrath for pure bard only...
Pre 1.69 when tha spell could be cast without regards to arcane spell failure, that spell worked wery well. I would not try to make a str based bard now.

Yes, still spell is atleast suposed to require the ability to cast lvl 9 spells, to I have never atualy tried it.
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

Gornickthy
Spamalot

Post by Gornickthy »

I was wondering about the Warcry spell. It says that it cannot be still spelled when I try it, and it is no longer usable while wearing armor. Is it a bug or is this meant to be? The spell is just about useless to strength toons right now. You are able to get one shot off while buffing with the armor off, but as soon as the armor is back on the spell is non-usable now. :?
Power is not given. It is taken.
Tal, Soul Reaper of [IO]
Gol-Gorath [IO]
Shilo [IO]
Cthulhus Acolyte [IO]
Ya ya ya I know... stop whining, complaining, and learn to build better.

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

Malik wrote:I think a str bard/rdd mix may be playable
Quit uttering such fallacies ;)

Warcry can be cast while wearing armor so you don't need to still it. Would be nice to have it in those extra slots though wouldn't it? 8)

I was disappointed too lol.

As for a Str based Bard/RDD I had a stilled one prewipe that had 73 AC and with a power ammy got 71 AB w/o books.

If I read the other threads properly and Earth genasi damage reduction doesn't stack with epic damage reduction (I had that on my Bard/RDD), then with the changes to song, Earth Genasi Natural Armor, then he's looking at 69 AC and 72 AB without books now (drop the epic damage reduction feats for AB and improved crit feat). Fairly solid, Bigsby bait, but still solid. Something to try is getting enough dex for blinding speed and going with robes, you might be able to up that AC a bit, and you don't need to spend feats on greater strength since you get +8 to strength with your RDD levels. Like 8 free greater strength feats. Can't beat it ;).

Anyway I haven't looked at goin hybrid on strength and dex, might cost too much in the way of points because you'll still want to place a hefty amount of points towards intelligence towards your skills and of course at least 4 points toward charisma for that minimum 12 score so ->(+2 10th RDD lvl, +2 book and you get all of your bard spells that way). It all depends on what books you have available to you and where you want to focus. I'm willing to bet you could get a good hybrid dex/str RDD/Bard goin without too much trouble.

Either way, it would be fun to see what people could come up with.
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

Lokey wrote:I thought about it. Lower level stuff I could see, but one feat you should take and two epic feats means you never have to worry about spell failure anyway.

For now I'll agree with Celorn that a non-dex bard is a corpse. But haven't tried anything else myself...Linux probably has a horribly cheesy unkillable con based bard somewhere :)
Forgot to add this, bards can't take those two epic feats due to their not being able to cast lvl 9 spells. I wanted to do a str based bard in plate with autostill until someone (can't remember who, might have been neil420) informed of that fact.
Last edited by cRaZy8or5e on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Blystos Re-

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

cRaZy8or5e wrote:Warcry can be cast while wearing armor so you don't need to still it. Would be nice to have it in those extra slots though wouldn't it? 8)
Have you tested this after 1.69?

From the 1.69 changelog:
The spell War Cry now requires a somatic component as per the spell description
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

VagaStorm wrote:
cRaZy8or5e wrote:Warcry can be cast while wearing armor so you don't need to still it. Would be nice to have it in those extra slots though wouldn't it? 8)
Have you tested this after 1.69?

From the 1.69 changelog:
The spell War Cry now requires a somatic component as per the spell description
BOOOO HISSSSS, sorry I missed that part.
-Blystos Re-

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

WAR CRY (and some other spells) MUST be stilled now, which sux big time.

Pre-wipe, my STR bard was pretty decent as I posted the in-game shot before:

But the same build now would be lower in AC and a LOT lower in spells while fighting due to the war cry and other spells that now have armor failure. THIS is why I was suggesting to 'fix' the chanter's robe to have negative to spell failure, kind of balances it out.

And yes, I've tested it all in-game and it is true, I'm building a bard/RDD toon STR based anyhow since it's the only way to get near my old Doff toon, plus the RDD bonuses are gonna be nice to have.

for DEVS/Item makers: I have also tested BARD SPELL SLOT 7 before and after 1.69, pre-1.69 it didn't seem to work but now it does! So feel free to make some gear (adjustments) to give Bonus spell slot: Bard 7 (How about chanter's robe? water robe? crafted cloaks? ammies? or the DWP cloak? etc...) - Might be fun to still or extend lvl 6 bard spells since you can actually do it if the gear has the slots. Right now a STR-bard is gonna epic fail trying casting lvl6 spells in armor/shield, unless they use a scroll. I haven't yet tested paladin or ranger slot 5 but I would think they might work now too.
ImageImage

Brutalix
Noob

Post by Brutalix »

How do you get high ab/ac numbers like that??? Ive been wanting to startup a multi-class toon but dont know where to start. The few characters ive played have always been pure class but even at that ive never been able to reach numbers like those. Bards interest me and i like the idea of mixing in RDD, but im sure how to lvl him. What are their main stats? Dex? STr? Im sure Chr has to be in the mix somewhere. Is there a site that actually has the rule sets to help in the development of the character? Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, one other idea i had. Would mixing in one lvl of ranger for the dual wield and favored enemy be a good idea?
Cinnamon Girl
Mournmist
Zealot
Malachi

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”