Spot/listen part two.

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
kain124
Looking for group

Spot/listen part two.

Post by kain124 »

Since my last one was locked before I could ask, could ANYONE be more specific as to where I can find these rings, I haven't even seen so much as a +1 of either spot or listen anywhere. And if dumbarses get this one locked please send a tell.

Dalan
Dungeon Master

Re: Spot/listen part two.

Post by Dalan »

Epic Ring of Awareness : +7 spot, listen and search

There are an entire line of these epic rings. Epic Ring of Defense, Epic Ring of Casting, etc, etc...

The only way to get one of these rings is to be involved in a DM event, and maybe , just maybe, you would be given a choice of one for a prize. In the past, when these were given out as prizes, the DM would ask you to choose one.

Most everyone would choose the Epic Ring of the Shadows, but keep in mind that the Epic Ring of Awareness (along with any of the other epic rings) was available as a choice, also. I hope that answers your question.
Dumathoin: Keeper of Secrets under the Mountain

Mythri Wolfwood
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Mythri Wolfwood »

I'll come forth and vouch for the Epic Ring of Defense (+7 discipline and parry IIRC) and Girdle of Defense (+3 to all saves, +6 Deflection). Got both from DM events where the rewards were placed in a chest for the participants to split amongst themselves.

For those wondering about the skill cap, here's a reference from NWNWiki. As the cap is a magical one, I don't think modifiers listed for hide/spot and move silently/listen are affected. Note that non-elves automatically gain active detection from just standing still as noted here.

If I'm not mistaken, level 30+ Bards with Greater Divination can get +49 Listen (+15 from Clairaudience, +20 from Amplify, +14 from Bard Song) and bard/cleric builds can also get +55 Spot, technically +50 spot due to the magical skill cap, (+15 from Clairvoyance, +26 from True Seeing, +14 from Bard Song). The said bard or bard/cleric could also debuff enemy skills by up to 10 skill ranks with Curse Song, effectively boosting their spotting/listening skill ranks by the debuffed amount.

Hope this helps clear up some things.

kain124
Looking for group

Post by kain124 »

Okay, then may I ask why there are no mundane spot/listen skill rings when all other skills seem to be covered? Or is that the question of the century.

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

there are a few items here and there that give bonuses to spot/listen..not just rings. look around the wiki, you might find something cool.
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

-Saviour Sev-
Noob

Post by -Saviour Sev- »

The only way to get one of these rings is to be involved in a DM event
The last event I was involved in where I was given a reward, which was "any" item in the game that I wanted. I asked for a epic ring of shadows. The DM told me that they are no longer allowed to give epic rings or books out as event prizes. Am I mistaken?
Sev, Xev
---------
Aaaiiiiiiiii!

Mythri Wolfwood
Wheres the donation box?

Post by Mythri Wolfwood »

I don't think all events will warrant rewards as great as Epic Rings or tomes. It depends upon the generosity of the DM as well.

Earlier tonight we were treated to a rousing Faction arena event where the winner got 2 epic rings (Awareness and Defense) and the runner-up got an Epic Ring of Awareness.

AllAmerican
Dungeon Master

Post by AllAmerican »

There is a certain 16th level helmet in the forest of Melencia that grants a Spot/Listen bonus. You just have to start looking around, the items you seek are around. Just because you have not seen one yet does not mean that they are not on the mod. I used to spend days in search of these helmets, and hoarding them. Still one of the best helmets in the game if you ask me.
Erevan Ilesere-God-of-Mischief

LinuxPup wrote:Because I hate players.

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

AllAmerican wrote:There is a certain 16th level helmet in the forest of Melencia that grants a Spot/Listen bonus. You just have to start looking around, the items you seek are around. Just because you have not seen one yet does not mean that they are not on the mod. I used to spend days in search of these helmets, and hoarding them. Still one of the best helmets in the game if you ask me.
That helm is not even that hard to find, but it is not the best listen/spot helm around. Best one I have seen dos not drop I belive :p
Best Regards
VagaStorm

Why would I want to count 12 hours twice? I’m perfectly capable of counting to 24, and while we’re at it, can someone go shoot named time zones. GMT+x is all we need!

Amoenotep wrote:if you die to harper that just means your build sucks.

SkotG
Looking for group

Post by SkotG »

AllAmerican wrote:There is a certain 16th level helmet in the forest of Melencia that grants a Spot/Listen bonus. You just have to start looking around, the items you seek are around. Just because you have not seen one yet does not mean that they are not on the mod. I used to spend days in search of these helmets, and hoarding them. Still one of the best helmets in the game if you ask me.
Please refrain from giving the evil ones cause to attack our peaceful Citizens! :P

Aarkon Draco
Newbie Helper

Post by Aarkon Draco »

im in sev's boat i had a epic ring of awareness once but was told it was a "DM" item only and i traded it back in being the rule following player i am for something else. this was a while ago but at the time these were indeed "DM Only" items perhaps adding them to the epic artifact random loot table would be a good idea? that way they will drop on rare occasion without divine intervention.
Balion, Blade of Torm

Blystos Re wrote:"Join the Northern Coalition.
We have Motivational Posters."

kain124
Looking for group

Post by kain124 »

Basically I am trying to find something to supplement salien abilities which are now up to 99 spot after adding a crafted spot helm. So it's effectively 139 spot now, but I have a feeling that it won't be high enough for some toons, there is that much crap out there for hide.

Nyeleni
Relic Raider

Post by Nyeleni »

Actually the crux is: either you're elf or not. If you are, you got a good chance of spotting or listening, if not you rely too much on chance and a crappy implemented system of finding the hiding character. Although the aasimar aura helps, it is better to have a specialized elf on your side.
Aiya Mielikki! CELEB ALCONTARI CUYO ANANN!

For the Glory of Torm! Clericus Liberatus Anno Dominis - Gloria Triadis!

cRaZy8or5e
PKer

Post by cRaZy8or5e »

A 139 spot is great. Now all you have to do is make an SD stand in ur aura. NC wants a "Pioneer" class since we don't get rogue, start creating barricades anti-SD ditches, concertina wire, and moats filled with acid and genetically engineered piranhas with fricking laser beams on their heads!

okay I got a lil carried away. Any time you have a spotter you really want to make it an archer(dex or zen) capable spotter otherwise you've gotta run the HiPSer down, which is just a pain, even for an elf spotter. Any str based toon trying to chase down a HiPSer is gonna have a hard time. However what you can do is use terrain, doors, corners etc and place yourself in such a way that an SD has to come through your aura and then try to beat them down, maybe you can get a kd off and take it to em. That's bout the only way I can see making a str based Aasimar spotter effective though.
"Nobody Expects the Northern Inquisition!!!!"
-Blystos Re-

Celorn
Relic Raider

Post by Celorn »

Amoenotep wrote:there are a few items here and there that give bonuses to spot/listen..not just rings. look around the wiki, you might find something cool.
Most of us know this.. we have all the spot or listen gear we can pack on, but that sometimes isn't quite enough (especially non-casters) even with skill focus. Bards tend to cap out listen fairly easily, but other classes could really use a ring to boost spot or listen up just a bit more to be effective, otherwise you need to use other means to boost it.

The thing with NS4 gear is there are a bunch of cloaks, rings and boots - that are pretty much useless... parry? will that ever be fixed? 1.69? Cloaks with caster spellslots but no caster stat boost? It would be nice to at least have some artifact rings that could give boosts to useful stats:

IE: Ring of Shadows: +4 hide +4 ms -> i've heard reports of this ring for years, yet have never seen one - i've hunted many possible mobs it may drop from to no avail.

I'm not saying these kind of thing should a store-buyable ring, but either a rare drop from (a) particular mob(s), or as artifacts -- same with, say a 'Ring of Awarness: +4 spot, listen & search', and +4 versions of the other epic rings would be cool too. This way, the gear will still be rare, and won't be standard issue toon gear, but special gear for only your best toon(s).
ImageImage

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”