Shifter Fix

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Daelyte
Noob

Post by Daelyte »

Account name: Daelyte
Character name: Gryeen Dae (something like that)

Yesterday I crashed the server about four times, and have crashed before that a couple of times. It used to be that maybe the server would crash when I died but now everytime I die, a crash. The death happens immediately so Im still in form. Since I got Kobald shape, death = crash. I think this is because the damage dished out is greater plus I didnt die much before.

In my old server, Adventure Island, when a shifter died and no one could use a scroll to rez them (dead but not dead), they would relog and come back with full hit points. I think the scripts in place for death (like the bleeding one) and logging in are in conflict with the already buggy shifter.

Its such a shame too! I havnt had this much fun with a shifter, one of my faves, in a long time! I love how shifter rocks in ns4.

Hope Ive helped

Dae

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

It's fun, but it's too buggy.

Let's keep all the shifters on Prime so that Reflections is crash-free :twisted:

ashkren
Noob

Post by ashkren »

3 deaths/server crash for me, today.
And I want to precise i am dead far more that (a ratio of 1/3 I think).

First one, kobold commando, instant death/back to human form/Respawn screen/Server crash (I guess that it was the order) in one instant.

Second one, was in risen lord. Same thing. Except one, no respawn screen. I was able to move freely in the limbo time when synch is out with server.

Third one, was in rakshasa. Thought I had enough hp to do a zoning. Seems I was in error. Same effect that first one.

I profite to make my excuses to all who were hit by these crashes. But keep in mind that death shifter/server crash is not always linked. Shifter can die without doing crash, and server can crash without shifter dying.
The good side is more we can describe situations where shifter death cause server crash, more the devs have chance to find the bug.
The more good side, it's that the devs have already make a wonderful job on this class. Let them some time to find it, and be patient (and rest frequently); this will be fixed... - no, I can't use the word "soon" in a NS4 context ;).
And to the devs, I am always ready to make tests if necessary.

And please, stop the "flame on shifter"... remember the "flame the Time Stopper" old days...

*Pray the devs to find the bug*

kingfatzo
Addict

Post by kingfatzo »

seems shifters are taking too much pride in crashing the server :lol: ...meanwhile there are probably new noobies out there who just reached level 4 and are rolled back to level 1 ...... :shock:
Fatzo
Resident Glutton and Hand of the Legendary Brethren
http://thelegendarybrethren.forumsplace.com/
http://brethren.mygameguild.com/main.asp

MLoki
Relic Raider

Post by MLoki »

Well I finally crashed the server as well. Guess I didn't quite dodge that bullet.

Server Crash on 10/18/06 around 11:00 PM PST
Character Name: Guardian Wild [DCN] 40th level Druid (Dragon Form)
Login: MLoki

Went to Negative Plane with full buffs shifted into dragon form and couldn't keep my health bar up long enough to take a heal potion. Had the potion in que and got to a sliver of health before realizing that the server had crashed. I was still in Dragon Form with just a touch of health and everything around me had stopped I waited for the final moment when the server booted me out to be sure and when I logged back in I was dead as I knew I would be. Mask was on and I admitted to being the cause of the crash immediatly. Hopefully this helps some.

MLoki

Daelyte
Noob

Post by Daelyte »

Id just like to say it isnt just the shifter class, its druid too. Has anyone tried, for instance, a wizard in Tensers or some orther polymorph? Do they crash the server when they die?

Any chance of testing shifter deaths without the Bleeding scripts in place? Or any other death scripts? I mean what do people want? The ability to play a very cool class or the death scripts? Dont get me wrong, my wizard has survived about 10 deaths because of the bleeding script but truely Id rather she died than my shifter's death causing crashes.

I was also wondering if people could try and describe when they died but didnt crash the server. Like what form and did you have endurance or consitiution bonuses on?

Hope Im helping!

Dae

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

Tenser's isn't a polymorph spell on NS4... so it is actually quite useful.

watchwood
Newbie Helper

Post by watchwood »

Aye, it's regular druids too. Mine uses air shape often for the AC of the elemental shapes.
The DuFresne Family of Malencia
DrunkenGamers.net

ashkren
Noob

Post by ashkren »

I have several death of my characters today without provoking server crashes. I thought that maybe this ùethod can avoid that : not running when death is coming. Seems it worked pretty well until... the last death, 10 minutes ago. I was in rakshasa shape, and death coming... I didn't flee, but try to take a potion and then... crash. So maybe the exact way to avoid this crash (in waiting that the bug is found) is : not taking any actions at the moment of death (except auto-attack of course :) ).

Amoenotep
Lord DM Supreme

Post by Amoenotep »

just dying is wholly unacceptable for any respectable player on this mod......*heavy heavy sarcasm*
Mask, Lord of the Shadows
Gruumsh, One-Eye
amoenotep@hotmail.com
----------------------------------

Mr. O'Dearly
Developer

Post by Mr. O'Dearly »

I dont think actions are the problem.
I once crashed the server while bigbied.
I certainly wasn't doing anything ;).

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

ashkren wrote:I have several death of my characters today without provoking server crashes.

Took a look at the logs regarding your deaths and crashes and the debug info I had put in there doesn't even get spit out, which indicates the crash is happening even before where the debug info I put in is.

I'll try and find a place to stick in some stuff earlier on...
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

VagaStorm
Developer

Post by VagaStorm »

I have seen some crashes the last days, and it seems that if the shifter is knocked flat out, nothing bad happens, but if he is hit just below 0, hes helth will pop backup, and evrything freesesup... I have not seen any problemst with rezing em how ever... but I would recomend agenst in combat raises unless full rez....

ashkren
Noob

Post by ashkren »

Just crashed the server... I was in risen lord shape, attempting a knockdown of the last chance.

Mr. O'Dearly
Developer

Post by Mr. O'Dearly »

shifter crash

login:jaypee3141
char name:Dire Wolf (TSS)
Time: 6:40pm pacific

in the water plane.
encountered a siren.
got wailed.
hp goes to 0, unshift, regain partial hp. (now unshifted)
i shout warning to server.
siren commences casting spells and beating on my semi-dead body with staff.
hp bar goes to 0.
I dont remeber seeing the flashy soul leaving body thing when they finish bashing me. (possibly because i was already "dead")
im not regenerating, though i may not have waited long enough.
click respawn.
char stands up, full health, xp/gold penalty.
black screen for transition appears.
BOOM!
when i relog, im alive and well in water plane right where i died.

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”