Two-Handed Weapon Specialization

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

Parry pretty much sucks though.. even if you had a parry of 150+ its not worth it. You can only parry once for each flurry, and there are 3 flurries per round. And when you make a counterattack, it wastes one of your parries.

So you're standing there getting hit frequently basically.

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

the parry idea is pretty interesting... its not too hard to get your parry over your ac on a shieldless build.

a good parry bonus on all 2handers/double headed weapons could be interesting indeed. any damage mitigation helps swing the odds back in your favor.

as for dex vs str builds, dont forget that a huge part of the shield bonus on this mod is in it's damage reduction/immunity. in a lot of situations that does more for you than the AC.

disastro
Spamalot

Post by disastro »

LinuxPup wrote:Parry pretty much sucks though.. even if you had a parry of 150+ its not worth it. You can only parry once for each flurry, and there are 3 flurries per round. And when you make a counterattack, it wastes one of your parries.

So you're standing there getting hit frequently basically.

parry does have issues, but cutting back your incoming hits by 3 per round is significant when you have few other means to avoid damage. especially if one of those avoided hits would have been a crit.

if i recall correctly your counterattacks are made at full attack bonus, so it's a decent boost to your own hit rate if your parry is high enough.

of course i've never had the guts to roll a parry based toon myself lol.

LinuxPup
Professor Nerfalicious

Post by LinuxPup »

No, parry counterattacks aren't at max ab. There's a good description of it at the nwnwiki.org site. And its a *max* of three parries per round. Even if you make all your parry checks, you might only get 2 parries because when you counterattack you burn one of your 3 parries.

Overall its better to just go the expertise route. Sure your ab drops quite a bit, but at least you have increased protection against all attacks and you still maintain all your attacks.

Core
Looking for group

Post by Core »

I made a few toons strictly for maxing parry out, dex builds of course. After all my testing, parry isn't that great really. For PvM it's really slow to kill things, instead of attacking you mostly hear clinking of the incomeing attacks being blocked as you wait and wait finally you attack for once... it's very slow. For PvP parry isn't really that great either, funny thing one time I asked someone to help me test parry without telling him what i was testing. We stood there for about 30 seconds and we started saying go, ok go, come on... well we were both in parry mode.. nothing happend. If your going to go parry you should probably do monk, or a dual weild dex build. I wasn't really impressed with what I saw though.

Binkyuk
Absentee Ballot Dev

Post by Binkyuk »

dual wield or monk is totally pointless as you can only block 3 attacks per turn - your extra attacks are wasted.
The only possibility I could come up with was a bard wielding a 2-hander - your counterattacks will have some punch and bard song will boost your parry skill. Adding barb is a good option because the -AC from rage is covered up by the parry. Even so I tried it in a test mod and it sucked.

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”