Bard subrace favored class

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Bard subrace favored class

Post by Flailer »

How about some subraces with bard as the favored class? There's not one and all the other classes have a subrace to go with them.

According to the 3.5 documentation, the following subraces have bard as a favored class:

Rock Gnome (in NS4 the favored class for it is wiz)
Able to cast the following spells 1/day at 1st level:
Dancing Lights
Ghost Sound
Prestidigitation
Speak with Animals (burrowing mammals only)

Satyr
(MM p219)
+2 Dex
+2 Con
+2 Int
+2 Wis
+2 Cha

• 40’ Movement
• Low-light Vision
• +4 Natural Armor bonus to AC
• Gains Feat: Alertness.
• Level Adjustment +2
• 5HD Fey, which grants skill points, Feats, BAB, &
Base Save Bonuses.
• +4 Racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently,
Perform, & Spot checks
• Natural Weapons – head butt (1d6).
• Special Attacks – Pipes
• Special Quality –Damage Reduction 5/cold iron

While admittedly only two subraces out of the dozens listed have bard as a favored class, it'd be nice to have at least one of them in NS4. Bard is an underutilized class and it might encourage more people to take it.

I could see a couple of custom subraces being created such as a subrace of halfling (they like singing and dancing) or maybe a planar subrace like an arcon or celestial (envision them using a harp or trumpet). Special feats and abilities to be boosted could include CHA, DEX, INT, boost to perform, automatic ing song, etc.

Any chance of putting one of these in? I'm itching to make a bard... :D
Flailer
NS Developer

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

Humans and Half-Elves have it as a favoured class. ;)
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

Gimmie the subrace love!
Flailer
NS Developer

DrakhanValane
Arrogant Snob
Location: Five Minutes Before the End of Eternity (or Maryland, take your pick)

Post by DrakhanValane »

For the satyr 1) There is no model for it, 2) a level 1 bard is an ECL 8 (actually it'd be ECL 9 in NS4) creature... most of that stuff just isn't doable without making a framework for all monstrous races.
If you tilt your head far enough and squint hard enough, anything becomes as simple or complex as you'd like--regardless of whether it is or not. -- A lesson learned from Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Bards are strong anyway, they're easier to play than rogues or monks.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Flailer
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Flailer »

Well, we wouldn't need the satyr visuals - that's just eye candy. The functionality of the subrace would be cool though, no?

Just looked at the 3.0 documentation and found these:

Changeling
(DR304 p59)
+2 Dex
+2 Char
-2 Str
-2 Con
Low-Light Vision
• Considered a ‘Humanoid’ and a ‘Fey’
• +2 Racial bonus on saves against spells & effects that
explicitly target ‘humanoids’ (i.e., Charm Person)
• +2 Racial bonus on Disguise checks
• Able to cast the following spells 1/day at 1st level:
Guidance (PH p211)
Resistance (PH p245)
Virtue (PH p269)

Elf, Star
(UE p9)
+2 Cha
-2 Con
Low-Light Vision
• Extraplanar – Star Elves are considered natives of the
demi-plane Sildëyuir. If targeted with Banishment or a
similar spell, they are driven back to that plane
• From dusk until dawn, any weapon or armor a Star Elf
touches is considered to have the ‘Ghost-Touch’
ability (i.e., solid to ethereal creatures).
Flailer
NS Developer

Lorkar1

Post by Lorkar1 »

*bump*

I have been through the Wiki and I noticed that there is no race that has bard as a favored class. All base classes except bard have a favored race. Maybe a gnome of sometype ie:rock gnome or forest gnome. The rock gnome would be in RK (obviously). That might give another reason for someone to play RK other than DD. Forest gnome I would imagine to be in The Circle, another underplayed faction. Or you could assign Half-Elf to Bard since that race has no favored class. Just another 2 and 1/4 cents after taxes.

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

I know for a fact that its a favored class for human, as I'm building one on each NS4 server right now.

Personally I would like to see bard as favored class for all races and subraces. Roleplay wise it makes sense, even the most repressive society has its story tellers and entertainers.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Sparky
Dungeon Master

Post by Sparky »

Every society may have its storytellers, but not every member of a specific race may be suited to the storytelling arts, hence their favored classes elsewhere.
Serving NS4 proper as Lathander and Sleeth as Bahamut.

Yes, I'm a DM, but your build still sucks.

Lorkar1

Post by Lorkar1 »

TGPO wrote:I know for a fact that its a favored class for human, as I'm building one on each NS4 server right now.

Personally I would like to see bard as favored class for all races and subraces. Roleplay wise it makes sense, even the most repressive society has its story tellers and entertainers.

When I mentioned the gnome and half-elf I was hoping to add a little flavor, because humans are like a light beer, they will both get the job done but without any real distinction. Now when Flailer mentioned having a Satyr, that would be like having a genuine Hefe-Weizen. I say do not settle for watered down races, bring out the real flavor, pop open a Satyr.

CrazyJ
Relic Raider

Post by CrazyJ »

I'm all for new subraces.

I still like the idea of half-elf having Werewolf as a subrace though.

watchwood
Newbie Helper

Post by watchwood »

Werewolfs....hehehe.
The DuFresne Family of Malencia
DrunkenGamers.net

Cthulhu Drega
Newbie Helper

Post by Cthulhu Drega »

how about half nymph? or something like that. as we are on a unique demi plane there is no set races i do understand the desire to keep it somewhat "cannon" but some NS4 unique races would be neat IMO. if you search the forums youll see that i had posted something on this a bit ago as part of a group of ideas. one part was changing gnomes to the 3.5 rules to be favored class bard.

on the races listed so far in this thread id vote for star elfs as they arent a ecl race and the changeling as another 2 ecl. the changeling are similar to the dragonlance Irda ( high ogres) perhaps make them Irda instead to give another half ogre subrace and add another dragonlance race since we already have kender.

http://www.nsrealm.com/public/ns4/viewt ... highlight=

all in all its up to you and the dev team to decide how mutch tinkering you want to do but having a race for every base class would be nice
"There is no great genius without some touch of madness." - Seneca

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." - Oscar Levant

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

TGPO wrote:Personally I would like to see bard as favored class for all races and subraces. Roleplay wise it makes sense, even the most repressive society has its story tellers and entertainers.

I think this sums it up completely. Give bards a XP bonus no matter what (especially pureclassed) :D
Unless it's for a drow, they're a miserable race.

Considering how powerful the bard class is I am surprised that it isn't used more as a main class for a character.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Kirg
Newbie Helper

Post by Kirg »

Even drows have deathsingers. Thus every race has bards afaik.

Now a rock gnome might be a good idea. I wouldn't want to play a satyr, everytime they'd spot a dryad (wood nymph) they would be *charmed* :).

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”