Traps being used for Greif Killing

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Mad_Bovine
Noob

Traps being used for Greif Killing

Post by Mad_Bovine »

Ok this was the first time I logged in and was greif killed by traps. Went inside alliance barracks and there were some jack-asses setting deadly traps all over every single square inch of the place causing anyone who entered or spawned to die immediately. This is definitely an abuse.

My suggestion: put a 10 to 20 second timer on traps and then have them autocleared. I mean this was ridiculous, I spawn 3 times figuring the traps HAD to be gone, but nope they weren't. WHee fun way to lose a level. This kind of crap really needs to be addressed by the DMs/Devs if they ever want new people to start playing on their module. If I started in a mod where just the ACT of starting a char got it immediately killed without ever even being able to move, I wouldn't be playing there longer than it takes to log out.
Think you are lazy?
I once coded a 1300+ line library in C++ to avoid having to write 200 lines of code.
Bringing laziness to a whole new level

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Your suggestion is hastey.
First off it's a bannable offence to trap spawn areas in an area.
Secondly 20-30 timer on a trap is just a bad idea, it's not a solution.

Solution: Get screenshots and inform a DM. Try TGPO specifically, he'll do something about trapping player spawns for sure.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

Bannable? Consistently trapping respawn zones might fall under the guidelines for excessive killing, but I doubt zoning points get lumped in with that.

Start collecting Silver Magnifying Glasses. The NS4 version of Find Traps is still the ultra-cheesey Bioware version that not only finds traps in a huge radius, but disarms them too.

That or maybe find a caster or rogue in your faction and ask for some assistance clearing the area...

Three times?

TGPO
Dungeon Master

Post by TGPO »

Using deadly traps in a zone guarenteed to be packed with players who will not survive the encounter for no other reason than to take out the lowbies in the manner you described definitly counts as intentionally destroying the fun factor for others in my mind.

Dont read me wrong here, there are times and places where that would be a perfectly valid tactic. I can think of many zones where I would consider it great fun and even as a DM sit back and laugh my butt off, but a level 1 spawn point isnt one of them. In this situation it doesnt really fall into "its a PvP world" but rather being plain malicious in the worst possible way.

I'll take this up with the rest of the DMs as something to watch for and a unified course of action.
*Computers are alot like air-conditioners. They work great until you open windows*

Lokey
-2 Penalty in Daylight

Post by Lokey »

Bob wrote:...

Start collecting Silver Magnifying Glasses. The NS4 version of Find Traps is still the ultra-cheesey Bioware version that not only finds traps in a huge radius, but disarms them too. ...

Whoops, it is though I dropped the radius down to 10 from the default 50!?! I think the problem is in setting traps visible, I'll look into it sometime.

-----

I think we can do something intelligent with traps in general. Spawn point issues are being worked on.
Tep wrote:I login and there's a dwarf to kill. You can't ask for much more than that.

Alkapwn wrote:NC has the most amazing melee build there is. Its a friggin unstopable juggernaut of pain.

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

I tried it out with a couple minor electricals last night to test things out in the Sleeth magic shop... I'm pretty sure the traps at either end were more than 10 feet apart, but I'll double check tonight somewhere a little less confined.

dipanddump
Noob

Post by dipanddump »

Sort of a side question here relating to trapping. If you set traps for city defense will they kill the npc's and other faction members?

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Can landmines decide who to blowup and who not to?
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Hulgaru
Pk Bait

Post by Hulgaru »

Jester:

If you build in IFF tags and equip your troops... sure :D
~Hulgaru

Okienaut, Okie Kong, Meki Okie-lot (Ret.)
http://www.cultofokie.com

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

True, but howmany of the current landmines out there are equipped with the necessary electronic equipment to facilitate that type of function?
Besides this is way coller than landmines with IFF tags: http://www.metalstorm.com/04_video_area_denial.html
Last edited by JesterOI on Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Throst54
Addict

Post by Throst54 »

hahahahahahahahahahahahaa

wish i would have been setting all thsoe traps.. haha

that's hecka funny.
reminds me of the NS3 days...

hahahahaha

u all died from traps...

oh man, my day is that much better....

i cant wait till they set up traps, then walk to you like they are gonna kill you, then they shout "dont run" and you run into the traps on teh otherside and die.. then the griefer profess's that they were trying to get you to stop from running into the traps...

hahahaha
Type post, tab tab enter, wait 4page 2 load, shift+tab tab enter, REPEAT!!!

Mad_Bovine
Noob

Post by Mad_Bovine »

Apparently you missed the point. I have no problems with traps in general, hell my rogue is all about the traps.

It's setting Deadly Traps inside a newbie spawn point that pissed me off. As one of the DMs said, there are situations where that would be funny as hell, and I would be laughing as well even it was me that died. That place however is NOT a newbie spawn point.

ALso perhaps a way of keeping this from happening when a DM isn't around, would be to have any trap that is set in a designated "newbie/lowbie" spawn area, to be autocleared by a script. Inside the cities where there are bound to be lots of newbies, perhaps then have a timer of a minute or so before they get cleared, anywhere else leave them functioning normally.
Think you are lazy?
I once coded a 1300+ line library in C++ to avoid having to write 200 lines of code.
Bringing laziness to a whole new level

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Or set a script that doesn't allow traps to be set within xx feet of a transtion spawn.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!

Bob
Newbie Helper

Post by Bob »

Find Trap AoE. I think it is smaller than stock, but that's a larger radius than 10 feet from the looks of it.

http://www3.telus.net/btomlins/graphic/FindTrap.gif

Knightwing4
Looking for group

Post by Knightwing4 »

Bob wrote:Find Trap AoE. I think it is smaller than stock, but that's a larger radius than 10 feet from the looks of it.

http://www3.telus.net/btomlins/graphic/FindTrap.gif

aren't the traps that you lay green? It looks like he could very easily have laid them himself

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”