Creatures and Drops at low levels (ie near home bases)

Post your tips, ideas for improvements, requests for new features, etc. here
Codax
Noob

Creatures and Drops at low levels (ie near home bases)

Post by Codax »

Having started a number of new characters at just about all factions, I have found some factions easier than others to level.

The main difference seems to be based on whether the primary low level mobs are animal or humanoid. It is much easier to level when facing humanoid opponents.

My reasoning is that humanoids drop potions, animals do not. These potions (and other minor items) usually allow low level characters to buff up and take on harder opponents than their level would normally. When you only have animals you only get gold, and you cannot buy potions of barkskin, bulls blood etc.

My suggestion is that some thought goes into providing mobs for low levels that will drop potions and minor magic around each of the faction towns. Small Kobold villages, etc. Melencia is very good in this regard and I have my Ancient One characters making a run over to their areas to get this type of drop so I can buff up and take on the Ancient Road at 5th Level. It would be much easier I didn't have to travel so far, just to get some potions of barkskin etc.

Of course it's not meant to be easy, but this would even things out a little for struggling level 1-5's.

Cheers
Codax.

LadyCheron
Developer

Post by LadyCheron »

Good points - that's why the Molemen were added to the Underground areas, and the Hobgoblins to the Sleeth Foothills. We will look into increasing the percentage of those creatures a bit, as compared to the rats and beetles. Although I'm not sure how to get Humanoid creatures into the Sleeth city areas, story-wise.
Berronar Truesilver, The Revered Mother
Domains: Good, Healing, Law, Protection

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Slave uprising, they be in the sewers mostly.
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Codax
Noob

Post by Codax »

The gobbos in the foothills and the hobgolblins do help.

I now have the same issue with the Ancient Road. Great experiance, but all animals again, except gargoyles who drop gems, but still no items.

Perhaps a hobgoblin village to east of the foothills? With hobgoblins up to CR6-7. Probably need an outdoors area for CR 1-4, and then a hall or something with the CR5-7's.

It could then be an extermination job to kill hobgoblins.

johnthebest1234
Noob

Post by johnthebest1234 »

I find that the gargoyles drop tons of potions. I've gotten 5 or more useful potions in one drop.
yea yea!

HealingBreeze
Pk Bait

Post by HealingBreeze »

Could make another job for AO, maybe Will Crusher, where you are dispatched to take care of slave uprisings and resistance cells. Maybe similar to the City Guard, where you get a certain amount of Job XP with each kill of a certain type. Also, maybe you get a big boost when you bring the head of a resistance leader?

Codax
Noob

Post by Codax »

Just spent some time killing gargoyles and yep they drop items. Prefer if it was more potions and miscelllaneous rather than stuff I can buy anyway. Getting to most of them past those first couple of grizzlies was interesting until I made lvl 7.

AndrewCarr
Spamalot

Post by AndrewCarr »

Yeah, took my ranger to lvl at gargoyles for awhile, since luckily beasts aren't naturally hostile to him. I don't know why they con so high, they have crap ab, dmg, and ac, and no special abilities that are effective that i've seen. If only more spawned it'd be a great xp spot.
Lindon Erithar
and
Quickie Mart the <a href='http://www.cultofokie.com'>Okie Ambassador</a>

JesterOI
Resident Spam King

Post by JesterOI »

Gargoyles are the best for stating melee characters.
2 attack @ lvl 1 vs an enemy that gives awesome xp and doesn't do crap vs melee characters is just too hard to pass up.
Atleast give the gargoyles improved unarmed strike!!!
LVL 69 LFGS!!!
The Hasselhoff 4 3v3r!!! Metis n3v3r!!!

Return to “NS4 Ideas and Suggestions”